HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

COMDDAP 2009 Learnings/Reflections (Due: July 10, 2009)

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Alfredo V. Ala-an

PostSubject: Re: COMDDAP 2009 Learnings/Reflections (Due: July 10, 2009)   Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:02 pm

COMDDAP DAVAO EXPO 2009
July 2-4, Apo View Hotel, Davao City

Where the highest mountain in the land rises over the vast rich plains of Davao, where the king of Philippine birds soar over his domain, the giant of all Philippine I.T. shows once more unfolds its latest event. It's COMDDAP Davao 2009 - the biggest I.T. expo held regularly in the South.

About COMDAP

THE POWER OF INTERDEPENDENCE COMDDAP is an association of the country's top information technology businesses. Its primary objective is to promote the sustainable development of the of the country's information technology industry through voluntary collaboration of its member companies. It is the goal of COMDDAP to be able to provide its members general views and updates from different sectors - private and government, and highly regarded individuals to further uplift the morale and knowledge of its organization.
http://www.comddap.org/events.htm

First Session/First Presenter:
ERIC DMS - Dealer Management System

The ERIC Dealer Management System (DMS) is an end-t-o-end software solution for automotive sales, parts and service businesses. ERIC DMS covers the full range of dealer activities-from marketing to sales and services.

Aside from core business operations, DMS includes a full ERP (Enterprise Resource Planning) and completely automates and integrates back office operations all the way to financial reporting.
With ERIC DMS, you can have full visibility over all operations.
Achieve total control over your car dealership business today!
• Schedule prospects for test drives and follow up on appointments
• Monitor and increase sales
• Delight customers with gentle reminders for appointments
• Manage vehicle inventory
• Deliver impeccable service
• Control parts & consumables cost
• Monitor and correctly implement warranty for parts & service
• Report your financial bottom line
DMS Process Flow

ERIC Dealership Management System (DMS) A complete, end-to-end solution for vehicle dealers, distributors, and service providers
ERIC DMS is composed of three core modules to manage dealer Operations. These modules are:
• Customer Relationship Management (CRM)
• Vehicle Sales and Administration (VSA)
• Service Management (SVM)
• Customer Relationship Management
• Vehicle Sales and Administration
• Service Management
• Parts Inventory
• Order Entry and Billing
• Accounts Receivable
• Accounts Payable
• General Ledger
• Purchasing
• Time Card
http://www.jupitersystems.com.ph/product.aspx?prod_id=1

Second Session/Second Presenter:

What is a thin client?
Thin clients are computing devices that function as an access device on a network. These solid-state devices connect over a network to a server where the bulk of the processing takes place. Thin clients have no hard drive, allowing for more secure storage of data and applications on the server. In fact, keystrokes, mouse events and screen images are all that is sent between the client and server. This makes the device much more secure than a standard desktop or notebook computer.
With no hard drive, fan or other moving parts, thin clients have a much longer lifespan than standard computers and use significantly less power. Lower maintenance costs are another benefit as software application updates, virus scanning and patches can be executed on the server. Deployment costs are also reduced as thin clients can be remotely configured and do not need to be set up individually. Break-fix simply requires replacing the thin client.
Why should I consider a thin client solution?
You need to learn more about the HP thin client solution if your business is faced with issues such as:
• Desktop replacement costs
• Network security
• Data access to mobile or remote workers
• Supporting application software on diverse hardware, or
• Ensuring your data remains accessible and secure
Thin clients are ideal solution for today's healthcare, industrial, retail, financial and education industries offering a number of benefits to your business.
Enhanced security
Unlike a traditional desktop or notebook computer, no applications or data are stored locally on the thin client. This makes them easy to replace if lost, stolen or damaged. Thin clients are an ideal choice for businesses that are facing increased regulatory compliance laws such as HIPAA or Sarbanes-Oxley.
Easier manageability
Thin clients are managed at the server, located within the data center. The client hardware has fewer points of failure and lacks a hard drive for storage providing protection from viruses and malware. Thin clients connect to servers via web browsers or remote desktop software. Depending on the functionality the user needs, client desktops can be very simple single-application kiosks or a flexible and familiar Windows environment.
Thin clients can be set up out of the box in less than 10 minutes allowing easy deployment to new users or remote locations. HP thin clients can be remotely configured and managed via management software included at no extra charge.
High reliability
With thin client access devices, business continuity is a given in the event of a natural disaster, as the data and applications are not resident on the client device. Because of their solid state design, thin clients have an extended product life of up to 5 years and can be cost effectively replaced if needed.
Thin clients are ideal for environments unsuited for traditional desktop computers like dusty, remote or space-constrained environments. They can be mounted invisibly behind a flat panel monitor, under the desk or just about anywhere with the optional VESA (Video Electronics Standards Association)-compatible HP Quick Release.
Increased energy efficiency
Thin clients offer significant savings in power usage over traditional desktops. This is realized not only in energy costs but reduced air-conditioning costs in some cases. With their long lifecycle thin clients allow companies to achieve energy savings targets and reduce the need for replacement equipment.
Lower total cost of ownership
The increased security, reliability and ease of management contribute to a lower total cost of ownership for your client computing devices. With a longer useful lifespan, thin clients contribute to cost savings. According to a study by Gartner (TCO Comparison of PCs with Server-Based Computing, June 2006) thin client TCO annual savings have been measured as high as:
• 79% less downtime cost per user
• 16% capital cost savings
• 34% less in maintenance
• 19% less to operate
• 48% overall lower total cost
HP's Client Virtualization Solutions
HP offers a complete solution of thin client devices for essential, mainstream, flexible or specialized computing. HP can also provide all the related products and services for remote client computing or desktop virtualization including blade PCs, storage, networking and servers.
http://www.hp.com/sbso/solutions/pc_expertise/article/thinclients_consider.html
“What a great experience and a great new technology!!”
***end***
(^_^)..cocoi™

Back to top Go down
View user profile
fatima paclibar

PostSubject: Re: COMDDAP 2009 Learnings/Reflections (Due: July 10, 2009)   Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:30 pm

COMDDAP means computer manufacturers distributors and dealers association of the Philippines. This association, had their exhibition here in Davao last July 2-4. IT was held on the Apo View Hotel. By the way, for some who does not know about COMDDAP, this is their brief information about the association:

“COMDDAP is an association of the country's top information technology businesses. Its primary objective is to promote the sustainable development of the of the country's information technology industry through voluntary collaboration of its member companies. It is the goal of COMDDAP to be able to provide its members general views and updates from different sectors - private and government, and highly regarded individuals to further uplift the morale and knowledge of its organization.

The vision of promoting and elevating the standards of Information technology (IT) in the Philippines fueled a group of prominent computer companies to form the Computer Distributors and Dealers Association of the Philippines or COMDDAP. Its initial member-companies represent the world's leading makers and providers of computer products, solutions and peripherals.

In 1997, the manufacturing sector - represented by industry leaders Hewlett Packard, Epson and Compaq, among others - was integrated into the COMDDAP membership, making the association a more diverse representation of the IT sector and thus the new name, COMPUTER MANUFACTURERS, DISTRIBUTORS AND DEALERS ASSOCIATION OF THE PHILIPPINES.”

This was of course taken from their site, http://www.comddap.org/.

So much for that, I will be talking about my experience on the COMDDAP exhibition on the Apo View Hotel. I arrived on the Hotel most likely around 1:40 or 2:00 pm. There was a sign showing where the exhibition is being held so it was easy finding the venue of the event. But when I saw the façade of the exhibition, I was primarily confused on where to sign up so that I can enter the said exhibition. That was a funny experience since I was not able to see the booth where students are
suppose to go and get there sticker for the exhibition. Good thing I noticed that the people that were signing forms are the people that will be taking the Adobe seminar. I did not went to that seminar since there will be a payment for each seminars, namely for the Adobe Dreamweaver, Adobe Flash, Adobe Fireworks and Adobe Contribute. I have a sufficient knowledge about what the seminars except for the Adobe Contribute. Well then, after much confusion, I got the sticker
for the student pass. I was amazed when I entered the exhibition. There were a lot of these things for techy guys from different brands. There were also other booths that showcases their service instead of their products. I saw our facilitator talking to some people in the exhibition. I tried looking for the place where the seminar will be held, which was my main purpose of coming in the first place. As I was looking for it, I saw some fellow USePians looking for the seminar also. We asked a personnel where the seminar is being held and he pointed us to the back of a booth where we can see a door. To make it short, we arrived at the registration confirmation table, where we asked if it was the room that the seminar is taking place. Good thing we are right but the bad thing is, we are told that we cannot go in anymore… the room is packed and we will have to wait for the next session, which will be the HP thin Client session. Well, since it was our fault then, we waited for the first session to finish. But we didn’t wasted time doing nothing there. We looked around at some numerous booths. There was this one booth that took my undivided attention (that was an exaggeration, hehehe). They were showing on the new graphic manipulation software. I think it was the new version of Corel Draw. I was amazed on the way it was presented and also, the new Acrobat reader presentation was nice. We toured the entire exhibition and after that, we went back to the place where the seminar is being held. We were a bit early so we had to wait for a few minutes for the first session to finish. We verified if our name was listed on the participants of the next session. After that, the first session finished but it seems like the people are not piling out. So as we went in, it was understandable. Most of the people on the first session was from USeP. We were able to find a seat just before the session started. The session is all about the HP thin client. The thin client is a computing device similar to the system unit of a personal computer. This is an exerpt from the site of the HP thin client, http://www.hp.com/sbso/solutions/pc_expertise/article/thinclients_consider.html:

“Thin clients are computing devices that function as an access device on a network. These solid-state devices connect over a network to a server where the bulk of the processing takes place. Thin clients have no hard drive, allowing for more secure storage of data and applications on the server. In fact, keystrokes, mouse events and screen images are all that is sent between the client and server. This makes the device much more secure than a standard desktop or notebook computer. With no hard drive, fan or other moving parts, thin clients have a much longer lifespan than standard computers and use significantly less power. Lower maintenance costs are another benefit as software application updates, virus scanning and patches can be executed on the server. Deployment costs are also reduced as thin clients can be remotely configured and do not need to be set up individually. Break-fix simply requires replacing the thin client. “

Basically, the thin client is more of a business tool rather than for personal use. Based on what I have understood on the session, The TCO of the Hp thin client is lesser than buying desktops. They have this certain features that are really nice to have especially for business and medium enterprises. After the presentation, there was a question and answer portion where prizes were given to those who can answer correctly. I was a fun session, not the type that makes you yawn. Hehehe.. After that, the next session was a proprietary system session and it was for only those who received an invitation. So sadly, we went out. But on the following day, we went back to the exhibition to join the sessions that we missed during the first day of exhibition.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
♥ilyn_mapalo♥

PostSubject: Re: COMDDAP 2009 Learnings/Reflections (Due: July 10, 2009)   Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:01 pm

Last July 2, 2009, we went to Apo View Hotel. Why?It's because we attended the COMDDAP. What is all about COMDDAP?

COMDDAP is an association of the country's top information technolgy businesses. Its primary objective is to promote the sustainable development of the of the country's information technology industry through voluntary collaboration of its member companies. It is the goal of COMDDAP to be able to provide its members general views and updates from different sectors - private and government, and highly regarded individuals to further uplift the morale and knowledge of its organization.

The vision of promoting and elevating the standards of Information technology (IT) in the Philippines fueled a group of prominent computer companies to form the Computer Distributors and Dealers Association of the Philippines or COMDDAP. Its initial member-companies represent the world's leading makers and providers of computer products, solutions and peripherals.

In 1997, the manufacturing sector - represented by industry leaders Hewlett Packard, Epson and Compaq, among others - was integrated into the COMDDAP membership, making the association a more diverse representation of the IT sector and thus the new name, COMPUTER MANUFACTURERS, DISTRIBUTORS AND DEALERS ASSOCIATION OF THE PHILIPPINES.

Since then, COMDDAP has been maintained and financed by its members through dues, fees, contributions or donations, and bannered by these specific objectives:

* Promote the use of information technology and elevate its standards in the Philippines;
* Make computers affordable and available to the masses;
* Provide and create opportunities for users to develop themselves to their fullest potentials;
* Supply the market with quality products at reasonable prices with good after-sales support;
* To work closely with the government, the private sector and international entities in promoting the use of information technology;
* Provide a forum of discussion on matters relating to the compute industry; and
* Foster anf cultivate harmony, cordiality and camaraderie among the members so that they can work together as one for the benefit of the industry.

Foster anf cultivate harmony, cordiality and camaraderie among the members so that they can work together as one for the benefit of the industry.

COMDDAP counts among its achievements the holding of the Annual COMDDAP exhibit, more popularly known as the COMDDAP EXPO, which has become a consistent crowd drawer and has in itself set new records in terms of the quality of exhibit area, exhibitors, visitors, and venues. In fact, COMDDAP EXPO in 1999 marked the first exhibit to have adapted an upgraded booth shell schemes

The annual COMDDAP endeavor encourages its participants to launch their products and services, as well as hold seminars with a variety of topics in the areas of technology, trends, applications, and information management.

COMDDAP's biggest leap was being able to cross boarders or go regional by bringing the exposition down south in Cebu and Davao City, and to even greater heights in the cities of Baguio and Naga, and most recently, in Iloilo City.

Apart from its exhibits, the organization holds COMDDAP Leaning Center Project and Training the Trainors program. This is part of the civic and social responsibility programs that the association has vowed to pursue. The project provides public high school students and public school teachers the opportunity to learn basic computer theories, get hands-on experience, and become familiar with computers.

COMDDAP is likewise involved with the Media-Citizens Quick Count (MCQC) operations in response to the call of national interest. The bulk of equipment and technical support for this endeavor were provided for by the member-companies.

COMDDAP has also pledged to protect its members in addressing the growing issue of software piracy, a practice that has affected and stunted the growth of the local software industry, as well as the countrys trade relations with other countries .In pushing this, COMDDAP has expressed its full support in the local manufacturing of DOS at an affordable price and with after-sales support, as well as launching a massive educational campaign.

Indeed, COMDDAP has gone a long way from a mere assemblage of premier IT companies and enthusiasts. With the support and enthusiasm of its member-companies, COMDDAP expects and looks forward to accomplishing more worthwhile projects in the future as COMDDAP is committed to the stable growth of the Philippine computer industry.

http://www.comddap.org/aboutus.htm

Actually, the exhibit started at 10 am but we arrived there at 1 pm.The seminar took for 3 days. I was so excited to go there because honestly speaking, that is the first time I'm stepped in that kind of hotel....hehe(peace). Well, when we are about to get in, the guard their gave us sticker which served as the identification for us. It look like this:

Included in the exhibit were different new technologies that can be very useful as the world goes in high technology. Different companies were there with their different exhibited products introduced. To mentioned, these are laptops(Neo, Dell, RedFox), LCD's(AOC, Chimie), printers(Canon with lots of functions). Antiviruses were also introduced such as the well-known Mcafee. The thing that attracted to us were the freebies...hehe.Especially the smart sandbox. I got 1 bag of it.

At the first session, we we're late(Venut, Tanya, Emilio and John). When we entered the conference room, it was halfway of their discussions. And they talked about the features of the Jupiter systems incorporated. Honestly speaking, i found myself got no interest about their topic because it was all about the cars. In their database system, it's nice thats all i can say.hehe

The next to present is from the HP company. His name is Leonard Zapa. He is the Market Development Manager of HP Company. I was amazed the way he speaks. I can really say that he is a true genius.hehe...He introduced to us thin client. As i heard from him about the informations of that thin client, it was good. Very useful but so expensive. The thing he lifted is what you called thin client.

Students were very attentive here while he is speaking because after the presentation he gave freebies by questioning. Lucky to those students who got the chance to get freebies...hehe.Unfortunately I'm not one of them. Hmm...we are really in the modern world. Technologies are getting upgraded and improved. Good for us!hehe..Keep it up technology..haha....

this is an expensive hardware included in the exhibit....

a big Canon printer with lots of functions.....

Last edited by ♥ilyn_mapalo♥ on Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:53 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
brian c. namuag

PostSubject: OMG It's COMDAPP   Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:27 pm

* COMDAPP Amusement *

COMPUTER MANUFACTURERS DISTRIBUTORS AND DEALERS ASSOCIATION OF THE PHILIPPINES (COMDDAP) held an Expo last June 2-4, 2009 at The Apo View Hotel, Davao City

About COMDDAP

THE POWER OF INTERDEPENDENCE COMDDAP is an association of the country's top information technolgy businesses. Its primary objective is to promote the sustainable development of the of the country's information technology industry through voluntary collaboration of its member companies. It is the goal of COMDDAP to be able to provide its members general views and updates from different sectors - private and government, and highly regarded individuals to further uplift the morale and knowledge of its organization.

COMDDAP has been maintained and financed by its members through dues, fees, contributions or donations, and bannered by these specific objectives:
• Promote the use of information technology and elevate its standards in the Philippines;
• Make computers affordable and available to the masses;
• Provide and create opportunities for users to develop themselves to their fullest potentials;
• Supply the market with quality products at reasonable prices with good after-sales support;
• To work closely with the government, the private sector and international entities in promoting the use of information technology;
• Provide a forum of discussion on matters relating to the compute industry; and
• Foster anf cultivate harmony, cordiality and camaraderie among the members so that they can work together as one for the benefit of the industry.

The Visions of COMDAPP

COMDDAP as an association.

COMDDAP counts among its achievements the holding of the Annual COMDDAP exhibit, more popularly known as the COMDDAP EXPO, which has become a consistent crowd drawer and has in itself set new records in terms of the quality of exhibit area, exhibitors, visitors, and venues. In fact, COMDDAP EXPO in 1999 marked the first exhibit to have adapted an upgraded booth shell schemes. COMDDAP has also pledged to protect its members in addressing the growing issue of software piracy, a practice that has affected and stunted the growth of the local software industry, as well as the country’s trade relations with other countries .In pushing this, COMDDAP has expressed its full support in the local manufacturing of DOS at an affordable price and with after-sales support, as well as launching a massive educational campaign.

Source: http://www.comddap.org/aboutus.htm

I Witness..

It was a hot yet glamorous day of June 2, 2009 when we witnessed the most fabulous exhibit in Apo View Hotel. COMDAPP a word which mesmerize our eyes as we’ve seen the event. Buzz of people came around to see and attend the said event. Well as a student, do I make my self a loser? We were there and grab the opportunities to learn and experienced some various events. Booths of different companies fabricate their models and give some freebies about their products regarding technology matter. There were even visitors, exhibitors and students came from different companies and schools. Some of the exhibitors were SMART Communication, Canon Marketing Philippines, Neo, Asian Tech and many more.

It was around 1:30 pm when we registered to Tech Session because there were limited sits only and luckily we attended those seminars showcasing their systems, and products. We really had fun and learned many things which definitely improve and help us as an Information Technology student. Yes, these are just once in a lifetime and were lucky to have the event. Professionals and visitors also attended the event but mostly it was us who filled the room. Students from University of Southeastern Philippines were eager to listen to the discussion.There were about 6 exhibitors who perform their presentations through power point presentation. Yes it was indeed a grateful and meaningful event that was once happen in our. The first session I attended was about ERIC(Enterprise Resource & Information Control) Managment System. ERIC creates great automotive dealers systems for big automotive dealers around the world. The session was conducted by Mr Celmer L. Santos. Below is a brief profile of ERIC DMS I go from their site.

ERIC Dealer Management System (DMS)

The ERIC Dealer Management System (DMS) is an end-t-o-end software solution for automotive sales, parts and service businesses. ERIC DMS covers the full range of dealer activities-from marketing to sales and services.

• Schedule prospects for test drives and follow up on appointment
Source: http://www.jupitersystems.com.ph/product.aspx?prod_id=1

The second session was about the new feature hardware of HP(Hewlett Packard) which is the thin client. This presentation really amazed by everyone for their product really interesting and eye catching. They have tokens after the presentation and unfortunately I did not win. Ahahahaha...but its ok for I really had fun with the giving of tokens alone. Questions were easy to answer, however first hand to raise will win. Here are some of the definitions and terms with Thin Client Product.

Thin Client

A thin client (sometimes also called a lean or slim client) is a client computer or client software in client-server architecture networks which depends primarily on the central serverfat client does as much processing as possible and passes only data for communications and storage to the server.
for processing activities, and mainly focuses on conveying input and output between the user and the remote server. A thin client, sometimes called a lean client, is a low-cost, centrally-managed computer devoid of CD-ROM players, diskette drives, and expansion slots. The term derives from the fact that small computers in networks tend to be clients and not servers.

Since the idea is to limit the capabilities of these computers to only essential applications, they tend to be purchased and remain "thin" in terms of the client applications they include. As software as a service (SaaS) gains popularity, it is expected that thin clients and blade PCs will replace desktop PCs in many work and educational environments. In general, they are not as vulnerable to malware attacks, have a longer life cycle, use less power and are less expensive to purchase.
Thin client is also used to describe software applications that use the client-server model where the server performs all the processing.

It was indeed a great experienced and opportunity to everyone. We learned many things and value it. We thank COMDAPP for inviting and allowing us to see some rare opportunities that we cannot forget. This is all my experienced and have a nice day ahead.

Source: http://searchnetworking.techtarget.com/sDefinition/0,,sid7_gci213135,00.html

My Blog: http://brian-takealook.blogspot.com/
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://brian-takealook.blogspot.com/
florenzie_palma

PostSubject: Re: COMDDAP 2009 Learnings/Reflections (Due: July 10, 2009)   Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:24 pm

EXPOSE, EXPLORE, EXPERIENCE

It was already 12:45 when I arrived at my boarding house from a very exhausting class. I have to fast-track my actions in order to cope up and not to be late in the COMPUTER MANUFACTURERS DISTRIBUTORS AND DEALERS ASSOCIATION OF THE PHILIPPINES (COMDDAP) Expo.

We took a jeepney and arrived 1:30pm at the Apo View Hotel. The ambiance is filled with many people and it makes me feel uneasy, for the fact that we are registered in a 1-2pm session. As we go inside the exhibit area, we noticed that many of our co-USePians were not yet in the seminar area, so I and my colleagues opt to wait the session to start and decided to roam around and observe some of the exhibits.

Majority of the spectators were students coming from different schools in the city. There were also businessmen and visitors who were present in the exhibit. I was amazed by the state-of-the-art gadgets that have been put on display such as computers, printers, cameras, notebook computers, motherboards and etc. Moreover, some freebies and souvenirs have been given away to the spectators.

The clock strikes 1:45pm and its time for the session which is the ERIC DMS - Dealer Management System. We hurried up and find our most comfortable place in the session room. As the session started we noticed that the speaker Mr. Celmer Santo was attractive and a candy in the eye, which motivates us to listen to his deliberation. His topic was attention-grabbing because it talks about their database system which is also

tackled in our previous database subjects.

bounce bounce ERIC DMS - Dealer Management System is under the Jupiter Systems which is a Philippine based IT Services company dedicated to delivering solutions for medium to large companies. We offer services covering the entire range of business activities- from marketing and promotion, procurement/supply chain management, manufacturing, distribution, financial reporting, business intelligence, and even IT infrastructure security and maintenance.

A keen understanding of business and operational objectives, two decades experience in industry best practices, creative talent, and the technology/skills to implement winning solutions for:

• ERP/Business Software Development
• Business Intelligence
• Web Design and Development
• eCommerce and Internet Media/Internet Marketing
• Network, Server and Storage Infrastructure Services
• Telephony Infrastructure Services

Furthermore, he elaborated about The ERIC Dealer Management System (DMS) which is an end-to-end software solution for automotive sales, parts and service businesses. ERIC DMS covers the full range of dealer activities-from marketing to sales and services.

Aside from core business operations, DMS includes a full ERP (Enterprise Resource Planning) and completely automates and integrates back office operations all the way to financial reporting.

In addition, with ERIC DMS, you can have full visibility over all operations. Achieve total control over your car dealership business today.

Exclamation DMS Process Flow Exclamation

ERIC Dealership Management System (DMS) A complete, end-to-end solution for vehicle dealers, distributors, and service providers

ERIC DMS is composed of three core modules to manage dealer Operations. These modules are:

• Customer Relationship Management (CRM)
• Vehicle Sales and Administration (VSA)
• Service Management (SVM)

silent Customer Relationship Management (CRM)

ERIC CRM captures and tracks information for sales and marketing from walk-in prospects to sale, and even post sales appointment scheduling. All appointments are visible to the appropriate account manager- from sales to follow up calls and service.

silent Vehicle Sales Administration (VSA)

With VSA, dealers will be able to automate the business cycle of vehicle selling: customer quotations, sales ordering, vehicle allocation, invoicing, vehicle purchasing, and vehicle receiving. The system also keeps track of vehicle inventory.

Manage your inventory of vehicles. Powerful import shipment features keep track of shipping costs as you order from your manufacturer.

silent Service Management (SM)

The Service Management module records and controls the full range of operations when delivering service requests. This includes:

• Booking and creating repair orders (ROs)
• Approval and assignment of ROs to a mechanic
• Parts and materials request
• Mechanic's time monitoring
• Final control quality checklisting
• Service operations monitoring for efficiency and materials consumption

All of the above capabilities depend on ERIC SVM's integration with the core ERP modules for purchasing, crm, inventory, and accounts receivable.
Develop a reputation of reliability by keeping track of warranty and applying these to the appropriate repair orders.

After he talk about and present his product, he entertained some of questions regarding on the system. He ends the session with footprints of knowledge on the young intellectuals.

Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Immediately, the next session proceeded which is the HP Thin Client. He start the conference with announcing that he will be giving some gifts such as 2G and 8G flash drives, t-shirts, and optical mouse to those who can answer the questions after his presentation, which gives an adrenaline rush to listeners and induce them to listen.

I am captured by the tag-line of HP Thin Client which is “Think big- Go thin” which also catches the attention of everybody.

I have noted some of the important keywords about his product the HP Thin client. It comes from a variety of HP thin clients which includes the HP t5145, HP t5540, HP t5545, HP t5630 and HP t5630w models which offers the customers a range of performance options and choice of Windows® CE, Windows Embedded Standard and Linux operating systems.

Thin clients are computing devices that function as an access device on a network. These solid-state devices connect over a network to a server where the bulk of the processing takes place. Thin clients have no hard drive, allowing for more secure storage of data and applications on the server. In fact, keystrokes, mouse events and screen images are all that is sent between the client and server. This makes the device much more secure than a standard desktop or notebook computer.

With no hard drive, fan or other moving parts, thin clients have a much longer lifespan than standard computers and use significantly less power. Lower maintenance costs are another benefit as software application updates, virus scanning and patches can be executed on the server. Deployment costs are also reduced as thin clients can be remotely configured and do not need to be set up individually. Break-fix simply requires replacing the thin client.

Why should I consider a thin client solution?

You need to learn more about the HP thin client solution if your business is faced with issues such as:

• Desktop replacement costs
• Network security
• Data access to mobile or remote workers
• Supporting application software on diverse hardware, or
• Ensuring your data remains accessible and secure

Thin clients are ideal solution for today's healthcare, industrial, retail, financial and education industries offering a number of benefits to your business.

Embarassed Enhanced security

Unlike a traditional desktop or notebook computer, no applications or data are stored locally on the thin client. This makes them easy to replace if lost, stolen or damaged. Thin clients are an ideal choice for businesses that are facing increased regulatory compliance laws such as HIPAA or Sarbanes-Oxley.

Embarassed Easier manageability

Thin clients are managed at the server, located within the data center. The client hardware has fewer points of failure and lacks a hard drive for storage providing protection from viruses and malware. Thin clients connect to servers via web browsers or remote desktop software. Depending on the functionality the user needs, client desktops can be very simple single-application kiosks or a flexible and familiar Windows environment.

Thin clients can be set up out of the box in less than 10 minutes allowing easy deployment to new users or remote locations. HP thin clients can be remotely configured and managed via management software included at no extra charge.

Embarassed High reliability

With thin client access devices, business continuity is a given in the event of a natural disaster, as the data and applications are not resident on the client device. Because of their solid state design, thin clients have an extended product life of up to 5 years and can be cost effectively replaced if needed.

Thin clients are ideal for environments unsuited for traditional desktop computers like dusty, remote or space-constrained environments. They can be mounted invisibly behind a flat panel monitor, under the desk or just about anywhere with the optional VESA (Video Electronics Standards Association)-compatible HP Quick Release.

Embarassed Increased energy efficiency

Thin clients offer significant savings in power usage over traditional desktops. This is realized not only in energy costs but reduced air-conditioning costs in some cases. With their long lifecycle thin clients allow companies to achieve energy savings targets and reduce the need for replacement equipment.

Embarassed Lower total cost of ownership

The increased security, reliability and ease of management contribute to a lower total cost of ownership for your client computing devices. With a longer useful lifespan, thin clients contribute to cost savings.

According to a study by Gartner (TCO Comparison of PCs with Server-Based Computing, June 2006) thin client TCO annual savings have been measured as high as:

• 79% less downtime cost per user
• 16% capital cost savings
• 34% less in maintenance
• 19% less to operate
• 48% overall lower total cost

HP's Client Virtualization Solutions

HP offers a complete solution of thin client devices for essential, mainstream, flexible or specialized computing. HP can also provide all the related products and services for remote client computing or desktop virtualization including blade PCs, storage, networking and servers.

The HP Thin Client is a leading server-based computing solution designed to make business leaner and more efficient. Centralized management means new applications and upgrades need only be installed once. Deployment is cheap, quick and easy. Users will enjoy more desk space, not to mention the terminal’s sleek looks and agile performance. And the speed, flexibility and security of your network is guaranteed.

Microsoft® Windows® XP Embedded and CE.NET combined with HP t5000 Thin Clients result in a true end-to-end Terminal Services installation for a truly end-to-end Terminal Services installation for Server Based Computing and cost-effective enterprise integration.

If your business is thinking big, it's time to go thin.

After the presentation, everybody was eager about the question and answer portion. Everyone is very attentive and animated because they don’t want to squander the opportunity. Unfortunately, I don’t have any of the gifts but what matters most is the learning and knowledge that I gained which cannot be replaced by any material thing.

I have been EXPOSED on the variety of topics in the areas of technology, trends, applications, and information management which gives me understanding and awareness of the up-to-date devices and paraphernalia’s.

I have EXPLORED the diverse and dynamic world of technology. and...

I have EXPERIENCED to go beyond, not only dependent on the teacher’s knowledge nor confined to what is available inside the classroom.

my blog http://florenzie-palma.blogspot.com/

Idea Idea References: Idea Idea
http://www.jupitersystems.com.ph/product.aspx?prod_id=1#
[url=http://www.jupitersystems.com.ph/sm.aspx]http://www.jupitersystems.com.ph/sm.aspx
[url=http://www.jupitersystems.com.ph/itservices/about.aspx]http://www.jupitersystems.com.ph/itservices/about.aspx
[url=http://blogs.zdnet.com/virtualization/?p=974]http://blogs.zdnet.com/virtualization/?p=974
http://h20426.www2.hp.com/campaign/thinclients/au/en/

Back to top Go down
View user profile
John Cesar E. Manlangit

PostSubject: COMDDAP Learnings/Reflections   Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:24 am

Last July 2-4, Computer Manufaturers Distributors and Dealers Association of the Philippines (COMDDAP) staged their annual event this year at Apo View Hotel. There were IT exhibits, Technology Update Seminars, etc. Me and my classmates went their last July 2 to see their exhibits and to join their Technology Update Seminars.

The first seminar we attended was about ERIC DMS (Dealer Management System). The ERIC Dealer Management System is an end-to-end software for automotive sales parts, and service businesses. It covers full range of dealer activities from Customer prospecting and vehicle services. It also has many features and services need for car dealers. It was from Jupiter Systems, Inc. I think the system can really help the dealers in their needs.

The second seminar was about the HP Thin Client. It is one of the leading thin clients. It has also many features and I have learned that some of the advantages of the product is that it saves a lot more energy and power consumption than ordinary desktops and it is not prone to viruses because when a virus attacks the system, you just have to restart it and the virus is gone. Isn’t that amazing?

Next was about the Microsoft Retail Management System. The product is intended to address the needs of businessmen in keeping track of their products and sales. This can help any businessmen in tracking easily and efficiently.

The last seminar was all about Open Source for Business Applications. The speaker tackled what open source, the open source softwares and the open source for business applications. That was my favorite seminar that afternoon because I am also interested in Open Source Softwares and their impact in Business Applications.

From that seminar, I have learned that technology really is growing and is really needed in any businesses in order for them to become more productive and more competitive.

http://www.nexusgroup.com.ph/tng/downloads.php
Back to top Go down
View user profile
carla comoda

PostSubject: COMDDAP 2009 Learnings/Reflections (Due: July 10, 2009)   Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:25 am

Reflection regarding the seminar::::::
Good day... Last July 2, 2009 I attended a Technology Updates seminar of Computer Manufacturers Distributors and Dealers Association of the Philippines (COMDAP) At Apo View Hotel. Actually I attended two pm session and I felt glad to join this kind of seminar because it gives more information and details regarding my course which is InfoTech. It has an IT exhibit, Technology Update seminars and product launching. Before I write my reflection regarding the speaker of Technology Updates seminar I should define what is COMDDAP?
COMDDAP is an association of the country's top information technology businesses. Its primary objective is to promote the sustainable development of the of the country's information technology industry through voluntary collaboration of its member companies. It is the goal of COMDDAP to be able to provide its members general views and updates from different sectors - private and government, and highly regarded individuals to further uplift the morale and knowledge of its organization.

The vision of promoting and elevating the standards of Information technology (IT) in the Philippines fueled a group of
prominent computer companies to form the Computer Distributors and Dealers Association of the Philippines or COMDDAP. Its initial member-companies represent the world's leading makers and providers of computer products, solutions and peripherals.

In 1997, the manufacturing sector - represented by industry leaders Hewlett Packard, Epson and Compaq, among others - was integrated into the COMDDAP membership, making the association a more diverse representation of the IT sector and thus the new name, COMPUTER MANUFACTURERS, DISTRIBUTORS AND DEALERS ASSOCIATION OF THE PHILIPPINES.
The first speaker was Mr. Celmer L. Santos from Jupiter Systems, Incorporated he tackle more about their system and he also said that the people in JSI is really a Filipino citizen and we should be proud of it because we “pinoy” are skilled person and has brilliant mind where many foreign people appreciate us and hired us to their company and although I cant relate of what he is being discussed I should listen in order for me to comprehend of what is Enterprise Resource Information and Control (ERICDMS) Brilliant Dealer Management System which involves car dealerships and service transactions. JSI is a Philippine-based IT company dedicated to delivering business solutions for medium to large companies globally. JSI is one of the most experienced software houses in the Philippines and was one of the pioneers of Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) in the country. The company has been delivering business solutions for the past 25 years. JSI has accumulated a customer base of more than 900 customers in the Philippines, across the Asia-Pacific, and into North America.
In order to deliver projects on time and on budget while considering customer requirements, Jupiter Systems employs the following interlocking methodologies:
1. The Rational Unified Process (RUP) to manage the full lifecycle of JSI’s software development projects- based on a platform-independent tool called Rational Software by IBM. RUP covers the following:
• Software Dev Project Management
• Requirements Analysis
• Project Definition
• Design
• Coding/Development
• Configuration Management
• Quality Assurance- functional testing and load testing
2. Implementation Methodology for Software Applications to manage deployment of software to end users. This implementation methodology covers:
• Process-in-place documentation
• Process-to-be design and documentation
• Process-to-be acceptance testing
• Core Team/End User Training
• User Support
• Defect Reporting

Service Offerings
A keen Understanding of business and operational objectives, two (2) decades of experience in the industry’s best practices, creative talent, and technology/skills to implement winning solutions for:
• Software Development
• Business Intelligence/ Data Mining
• Web / eCommerce
• IT infrastructure Services
• Core MS Infrastructure Services
• Core Network Infrastructure Services
• Telephony Infrastructure Services
• Business Process Consulting
• Web Based Software in Public Relations
• Microfinance Solutions
• Open Source Platforms

Platforms
• Operating Systems
o Windows Server/Desktop, Pocket PC/ Windows CE, Palm OS
• Databases
o Microsoft, Oracle, Sybase
• Development
o Microsoft.Net, Powerbuilder
• Business Intelligence/Data Warehousing
o COGNOS
• Multimedia/Web
o Macromedia
The second speaker is Leonard Zapa, a Market Development Manager of HP Company. He discussed and promote their product which is Thin Client which is Free Open Source Thin Client Solution consisting of a Linux based operating system along with a comprehensive Java based management GUI and server component. It is intended for environments where a medium to large number of Thin Clients must be supported and managed efficiently. Offering flexibility unheard of in the world of proprietary Thin Client Solutions, openThinClient empowers developers and integrators to create advanced Thin Client solutions... for free.
openThinClient is released as an open source software under the GNU General Public License (GPL) v2 , and it is available for download free of charge.
He tackles why buy thin clients?
It is because Easy access on demand. More Control of entertprise IT. Besides The HP Compaq Thin Client t5000 Series is a leading server-based computing solution designed to make business leaner and more efficient. Centralized management means new applications and upgrades need only be installed once. Deployment is cheap, quick and easy. Users will enjoy more desk space, not to mention the terminal’s sleek looks and agile performance. And the speed, flexibility and security of your network is guaranteed.

Microsoft® Windows® XP Embedded and CE.NET combined with HP t5000 Thin Clients result in a true end-to-end Terminal Services installation for a truly end-to-end Terminal Services installation for Server Based Computing and cost-effective enterprise integration. If your business is thinking big, it’s time to go thin.
Other thing is Why go Thin?
• Control software, applications and files centrally
• Save up to 80% on maintenance costs
• Deploy out-the-box in under 10 minutes
• Support your legacy mainframe
• Effortlessly manage enterprise IT
• Use fewer support personnel
• Manage remotely with simple problem diagnosis
• Reduce hardware theft
Therefore after the seminar I felt that I belong to the world of professional people and it is an opportunity to be part of seminar which is organized by COMDAP and I learn a lot…….

God Bless.....

Reference:

http://www.nexusgroup.com

"Quiang di"

Last edited by april kaye bigonte on Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:25 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://quinkaye.blogspot.com
rowell_pines

PostSubject: COMDDAP 2009 Learnings   Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:16 am

That expo done by the COMDDAP, realy amaze my curiosity. It is because it is my first time to atend such social exhibit of computer equipments and to look beyond on the computer trends.

Actually, we are late on the venue, for we arrived at around 2.30, we find it hard, on what exactly is the right route going to APO view hotel. That might because, we are not so familiar here in DAVAO. And so, we ride on a jeep, resulting for it to drop us, a little bit far from the site. It took a 25 mins. for us to walk, and to find the venue. Even though the hotel is huge, suddenly we over pass it on the way. But finally, we found it, with almost a cup of sweat loss in our body! We directly entered the entrance door on the expo. which is a wrong move. Then, we take a sticker, for student booth visitor, and go in solemnly. We cant find our classmate during that time, for the seminar surely started already. So, we search for it, then we found it at a narrow door, behind the expo! Even, were late, we luckily entertained and go inside the seminar room, then we listen on the speaker, discussing about a new product which is THIN CLIENT. The presentation is great, but it was so professional, that makes us guess sleepy (BORING). But what exite us most, is at the last part, which is the question and answer portion, with a prizeof giveaways. We try our best, to compete with other's for the prize, but i guess there faces are much thicker than us. And so we go home with nothing.

The exhibit on the floor, after the seminar, is very fun. We touch ipod, introduce new gadgets and laptops and even surf a littlebit as well. The personnels are humble and fun, they always relate there explanation on the time that there are still students like us. We talk about "bulakbol" through computer games, like red alert and starcraft, some kind of old games that are very popular. That they achieved there position right now, by believing in there self and unstoppable determination. One slerk says, he really even hate computer way back then, but now, he isone of the distributor of this machine.

Learnings:

Ive learned that, computers, really depend its life span on how fast technology trends rises. And the new product of HP which is the THIN CLIENT, really impress me for these reasons:

* it so practical
* portable
* simplicity
* elegance
* multi tasking is a piece of cake.

Although it cost a little bit high, but as what as the speaker explains, the life span of the unit, really bent for almost 6 years, compared to an ordinary which is 3 years. COMDDAP really is a memory for us to treasure, and a learnings to norture, i hope one day, i can manage my own company, and be a competetor of their company!.

tnx!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://vanthegreat.blogspot.com
jojimie

PostSubject: COMDDAP   Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:17 am

alien

Thursday afternoon, July 02, 2009, it’s already 1:30 in the afternoon when I arrived at the Apo View Hotel.
I was not able to read the information about COMDDAP Expo in the forum or since I came to college so I don’t have any idea regarding to this event.

Razz
Fortunately, I was able to witness the latest in information technology’s fast-phase development. I am very much thankful because I’m one of the chosen few and given a chance to witness this kind or become part of this activity. Honestly, I found COMDDAP Expo as a very useful and helpful activity, since it serves as a paradigm. When I was attended that activity, I thought I am a professional one. As an IT student, the said program gives me lots of knowledge especially to the technology which is not really known to me. Not just imagining but in actual way I observe and I’ve seen the different high tech gadgets and technologies. It also gave me some general views and updates in some sectors especially personal and administration, and highly regarded individuals to further strengthen the self-esteem and knowledge of its society. COMDDAP Expo also serves as a stepping stone to each individual towards a brighter future. Why I say so because it provides to us or as a literate one to become fully aware to the different trends of technology. It is very much important to us as an IT student to have full of knowledge and wisdom as regards the use of technology and elevate its principles in the community. Most especially, the different booths advertising their product that helps to supply the market with quality products at reasonable prices. It gave huge help for us when we are going to purchase product, we are become responsive of which is the best one to choose. Indeed, COMDDAP Expo promotes and cultivates harmony and amity so that we can work together as one for the benefit of the industry.

Razz

COMDDAP is an association of the country's top information technology businesses.

Objective:

To promote the sustainable development of the of the country's information technology industry through voluntary collaboration of its member companies.

Goal:

To be able to provide its members general views and updates from different sectors - private and government, and highly regarded individuals to further uplift the morale and knowledge of its organization.

Vision:

Promoting and elevating the standards of Information technology (IT) in the Philippines fueled a group of prominent computer companies to form the Computer Distributors and Dealers Association of the Philippines or COMDDAP.

Since then, COMDDAP has been maintained and financed by its members through dues, fees, contributions or donations, and bannered by these specific objectives:

• Promote the use of information technology and elevate its standards in the Philippines;
• Make computers affordable and available to the masses;
• Provide and create opportunities for users to develop themselves to their fullest potentials;
• Supply the market with quality products at reasonable prices with good after-sales support;
• To work closely with the government, the private sector and international entities in promoting the use of information technology;
• Provide a forum of discussion on matters relating to the compute industry; and
• Foster and cultivate harmony, cordiality and camaraderie among the members so that they can work together as one for the benefit of the industry.

The first speaker talked about the ERIC [Enterprise Resource Information and Control] Dealer Management System (DMS). It is an end-to-end software solution for automotive dealer operation. ERIC DMS' range of solutions covers Customer Relationship Management (CRM), Vehicle Sales and Administration (VSA), and Service Management (SVM).

The second speaker talked about Thin Client which is computing devices that function as an access device on a network. These solid-state devices connect over a network to a server where the bulk of the processing takes place. Thin clients have no hard drive, allowing for more secure storage of data and applications on the server. In fact, keystrokes, mouse events and screen images are all that is sent between the client and server. This makes the device much more secure than a standard desktop or notebook computer.

Here are some advantages:

----Enhanced security
----Easier manageability
----High reliability
----Increased energy efficiency
----Lower total cost of ownership

The increased security, reliability and ease of management contribute to a lower total cost of ownership for your client computing devices. With a longer useful lifespan, thin clients contribute to cost savings. According to a study by Gartner (TCO Comparison of PCs with Server-Based Computing, June 2006) thin client TCO annual savings have been measured as high as:

79% less downtime cost per user
16% capital cost savings
34% less in maintenance
19% less to operate
48% overall lower total cost

Reference:

[center] flower lol! flower
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dolorosa G. Mancera

PostSubject: Reflection: COMDDAP   Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:36 am

The members of the COMDDAP (Computer Manufacturers, Distributors, and Dealers Association of the Philippines), which represents the world's leading makers and providers of computer products, solutions and peripherals, held an expo here in Davao city at the Apo View Hotel last july 2-4, 2009.
People from different organizations, schools,ordinary or professionals came to witness this annual event.

Before the said event, we are informed by our professor to register(free registration online) first on the site that was given to us because the seminars are for limited seats only. The event is open for everyone who are interested with information technology. On the first they of there expo, I and some of my classmates went to visit there exhibit and to check out the new trends of technologies nowadays and the different amazing gadgets. Since it was announced that the speaker for the seminar will be late, we grab the chance to collect some souvenirs for this expo. I enjoy roaming around in the exhibit area and compile different flyers and glossy papers from the different exhibit and also trying to explore the different gadgets that was diplayed in the expo.

Well, as what I have observed, the sessions were managed by the big names in term of IT developers. They are the Nexus Group, Jupiter Systems, Inc., Edupro Inc., and Spinweb Inc. And since I was registered on the afternoon session on the first day of expo, I noticed that most of the audience or listeners are from our institution(both Information Technology and Computer Science students from the University of Southeastern Philippines) so, I feel more comfortable and interested to listen.

Our first speaker is from the Jupiter System Inc. He introduce himself and then he start discussing about the ERIC [Enterprise Resource Information and Control] Dealer Management System (DMS). As what I have understand, its an end-to-end software solution for automotive dealer operation. He mention that the Jupiter System Inc is a 100% Filipino-owned industry. They support dealer activities from marketing to sales and services. At first I am a bit confused because he mention about Ford, Mercedes Benz, Honda, Mitsubishi, and other model of vehicles so I thought they are just selling cars but as he go deeper with his discussion, I discover that the ERIC DMS is a software that is usually used for automotive sales, parts and and services in a business. Well, honestly speaking, I can't relate with what he is discussing because I am not that interested with cars. And on the later discussion, I hear him talking about Microsoft SQL. Wow! This is what I've been waiting for. As an IT or CS student, we should be aware with the use of the different software used in business industry. The first presenter is not quite interesting to hear(am sorry for that) but still I've learn some about the program that he have discussed. As a whole, the presentation is good. As an IT student, it is good to know how a certain program works and how it was used by the industry.

Now, lets go on with the second session. The nest presenter is one from the Nexus Technologies Inc. There topic is about the HP thin client. He present to us their product. At first, I am curious of what that thing works or what are its functions. Its my first time to hear about thin clients so I am interested to listen especially when he told us that they will be asking some questions at the end of there discussion and he will give us some freebies: HP t-shirt and 2gb, 8gb USB flash drive. Honestly, those freebies added my interest to listen with there presentation. I noticed that all the audience are very active with the presentation.(hahaha)

About the presentation, he introduced to us their product, which is the HP thin client. I learned that thin client is a computing device without a hard drive and CPU fan. It has a low energy consumption and data are stored in remote and centralized server. Another thing that I have learned from their discussion is that hp thin client is designed for businesses because it will make your business more efficient. According to the speaker, the speed, flexibility and security of your network are guaranteed. The best thing with the said product is that it is safer in terms of viruses. And if am not mistaken, ones the hardware is reboot, it will automatically delete the viruses. He explains well the functions, features, and how reliable it will be to use.

Now, the most awaited part, the Q&A part. Everyone was excited because of there freebies. Honestly, I would love to have the t-shirt from hp and everyone became so active and alert in answering the questions. Unfortunately, I didn’t won any but the learning that I have is enough to consider this day as one of the days I would always remember.

This is just one of the events held for us to be aware of the latest breakthroughs. As an IT/CS student, its really a great experience and privilege.

bounce visit my blog www.dgmancera.blogspot.com bounce

Last edited by Dolorosa G. Mancera on Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:43 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
vanessa may caneda

PostSubject: A COMDDAP experience..   Fri Jul 10, 2009 3:36 am

Get to know COMDDAP..

COMDDAP is an association of the country's top information technolgy businesses. Its primary objective is to promote the sustainable development of the of the country's information technology industry through voluntary collaboration of its member companies. COMDDAP’s goal is to be able to provide its members general views and updates from different sectors - private and government, and highly regarded individuals to further uplift the morale and knowledge of its organization.

COMDDAP’s objective was to promote the use of information technology, make computers affordable, and supply the market with quality products at reasonable prices. With that, they held an annual event to encourage students, young professionals or even those interested in technology to take part on their event as they launch their products and services as well as hold seminars with a variety of topics in the areas of technology, trends, applications, and information management. The said event was held at the grand ballroom of the Apo View Hotel, Davao City.

Insights..

I was there around 1:00pm together with my classmates and friends. As we enter the ballroom portal, I was then stunned of those booth displayed. Latest technology was present. We get to know of the latest trend.The exhibit is really amazing. We had a chance to get closer to those latest technologies, which eventually can be a great help to all of us in terms of our studies. Actually the said event was a good activity especially to us students since the whole thing on the said event is informative. We learned something beneficial in our part as students at the same time were having fun. The seminar started late because the first session ended late that morning. At first its quite boring but as time goes by I already enjoyed it.

The first presenter is Mr. Celmer Santos from Jupiter Systems Inc. He discussed about DMS (Deale Management System). It is a system used in car dealership and sales transactions. It is a 24-year-old software company and is one of the pioneers of Enterprise Resource Planning Systems in the Philippines. They’re not jus operating here in the Philippines but also across the Asia Pacific. Dealer Management System is also a complete end-to-end solution for Auto Management. He discussed about Dealer Management System Coverage, which includes Customer Relationship Management, Vehicle Sales and Administration, Service Management and Parts Inventory.

The second part of the seminar is about Thin Client. I consider the topic as a good and exciting one since all of us can barely relate. Mr. Leonard then discussed it. What is HP Thin Clients? It is computing device without a hard drive, which displays data and applications from remotely located servers, blade PC’s or virtual desktop. It can be used independently, as a task specific computing
device with a minimal set of applications installed. Most ideal platform is also used.

The benefits of using HP Thin Clients:

• Hardware Embedded OS
  • Free Management Tools
  • ¼ the Failure
  • 10x higher MTBF
  • Solid state, no noise
  • Longer life
  • ONSITE, whole unit replacement
  • Up to 80% lower power
  • Save savings (less than 1/15 vol)
  • Minimal heat generated
  • Lower initial hardware cost and overall TCO
Overall, I really enjoyed the experience on that event. Unfortunately, I didn’t get any freebies but still I have fun at the same time I learned something new. Good thing that theres a kind of event that will make each and every one of us aware of the latest technology. Thanks to COMDAPP. lol!

References:

Last edited by vanessa may caneda on Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sheila Capacillo

PostSubject: COMDDAP EXPO 2009   Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:28 am

What does COMDDAP means?
COMDDAP is an association of the country's top information technolgy businesses. Its primary objective is to promote the sustainable development of the of the country's information technology industry through voluntary collaboration of its member companies. It is the goal of COMDDAP to be able to provide its members general views and updates from different sectors - private and government, and highly regarded individuals to further uplift the morale and knowledge of its organization.

The Venue

The activity was held at The Apo View Hotel at J. Camus Street Davao City. The Expo last for 3 days, it was scheduled last July 2-4, 2009. We registered 4 days before the event so that they can reserve a slot for us.

The Discussions we have joined

We join two discussions, the first presenter is Mr. Celmer L. Santos from Jupiter Systems, Incorporated. He discussed about their system, which is the ERP system. There company focuses on selling cars, example of it are Nissan, Toyota, Honda and Mitsubishi. The Jupiter system also has Service Management General Features which focus on Advance bookings or Customer appointments, Operation maintenance or FLAT rates, Repair order, Repair Estimates, Customer Service History, Technician Time-in or Time-out, Parts requisitioning and picking, Service invoicing, Warranty claims and processing, Field Service Actions(Campaigns).
The second presenter was the Market Development Manager of the HP Philippines, Mr. Leonard Zapa. He discussed about their latest product, the Thin Client.

The Thin client
Thin clients are computing devices that function as an access device on a network. These solid-state devices connect over a network to a server where the bulk of the processing takes place. Thin clients have no hard drive, allowing for more secure storage of data and applications on the server. In fact, keystrokes, mouse events and screen images are all that is sent between the client and server. This makes the device much more secure than a standard desktop or notebook computer

The thin client is very useful if we would consider this things that very important in a company:

Desktop replacement costs
Network security
Data access to mobile or remote workers
Supporting application software on diverse hardware
Ensuring your data remains accessible and secure

Benefits of Thin client:

Enhanced Security-Unlike a traditional desktop or notebook computer, no applications or data are stored locally on the thin client. This makes them easy to replace if lost, stolen or damaged.

Easier manageability-Thin clients are managed at the server, located within the data center. The client hardware has fewer points of failure and lacks a hard drive for storage providing protection from viruses and malware. Thin clients connect to servers via web browsers or remote desktop software. Depending on the functionality the user needs.

High reliability-Thin clients are ideal for environments unsuited for traditional desktop computers like dusty, remote or space-constrained environments. They can be mounted invisibly behind a flat panel monitor,

Increased energy efficiency-Thin clients offer significant savings in power usage over traditional desktops.

Lower total cost of ownership-The increased security, reliability and ease of management contribute to a lower total cost of ownership for your client computing devices. With a longer useful lifespan, thin clients contribute to cost savings.

Reflection:

The event for me was successful, it is my first time to join an exhibit like that and I was amazed of the new technologies that I have seen. The presenters were organized, and they impressed us with their products. If only I am rich, I would buy all their products (char lang…hehe). The product of HP which is the Thin Client is impressing because the product is small but it can do different tasks. The product is really useful for businesses to lower their cost in investing to CPU’s which will only last for a shorter time compared to the thin Client. The Jupiter Systems which presents about their systems also impressed us, when we looked at their system, it is simple but it has unique functionalities. Even though we can’t relate that much in the products that they are selling the focus is on their system. Their presentation is fun, they had distributed tokens for some students who can answer their questions. I was given a chance to answer too but I did not got the right answer, but its ok after all one of our classmate got some prize. After the presentation, we went out of the room to see the different booths of the different companies. They have different products that are really useful to us. I think the event was really successful.

References:

http://www.jupitersystems.com.ph/
http://www.comddap.org/
http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF04a/12454-12454-321959-338927-89307.html
Back to top Go down
View user profile
John Paul Pulido

PostSubject: The COMDDAP Event   Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:54 am

The COMDDAP Event

COMDDAP (Computer Manufacturers, Distributors, and Dealers association of the Philippines)is an association of the country's top information technolgy businesses. Its primary objective is to promote the sustainable development of the of the country's information technology industry through voluntary collaboration of its member companies. It is the goal of COMDDAP to be able to provide its members general views and updates from different sectors - private and government, and highly regarded individuals to further uplift the morale and knowledge of its organization.The vision of promoting and elevating the standards of Information technology (IT) in the Philippines fueled a group of prominent computer companies to form the Computer Distributors and Dealers Association of the Philippines or COMDDAP. Its initial member-companies represent the world's leading makers and providers of computer products, solutions and peripherals. The Discussions we have joined
The activity was held at The Apo View Hotel at J. Camus Street Davao City. The Expo last for 3 days, it was scheduled last July 2-4, 2009. We registered 4 days before the event so that they can reserve a slot for us. We join two discussions, the first presenter is Mr. Celmer L. Santos from Jupiter Systems, Incorporated. He discussed about their system, which is the ERP system. There company focuses on selling cars, example of it are Nissan, Toyota, Honda and Mitsubishi. The Jupiter system also has Service Management General Features which focus on Advance bookings or Customer appointments, Operation maintenance or FLAT rates, Repair order, Repair Estimates, Customer Service History, Technician Time-in or Time-out, Parts requisitioning and picking, Service invoicing, Warranty claims and processing, Field Service Actions(Campaigns).The second presenter was the Market Development Manager of the HP Philippines, Mr. Leonard Zapa. He discussed about their latest product, the Thin Client.

HP Product
Thin clients are computing devices that function as an access device on a network. These solid-state devices connect over a network to a server where the bulk of the processing takes place. Thin clients have no hard drive, allowing for more secure storage of data and applications on the server. In fact, keystrokes, mouse events and screen images are all that is sent between the client and server. This makes the device much more secure than a standard desktop or notebook computer
The thin client is very useful if we would consider these things that very important in a company Desktop replacement costs, Network security, Data access to mobile or remote workers, Supporting application software on diverse hardware, Ensuring your data remains accessible and secure

Advantages of Thin client:
Enhanced Security-Unlike a traditional desktop or notebook computer, no applications or data are stored locally on the thin client. This makes them easy to replace if lost, stolen or damaged.
Easier manageability-Thin clients are managed at the server, located within the data center. The client hardware has fewer points of failure and lacks a hard drive for storage providing protection from viruses and malware. Thin clients connect to servers via web browsers or remote desktop software. Depending on the functionality the user needs.
High reliability-Thin clients are ideal for environments unsuited for traditional desktop computers like dusty, remote or space-constrained environments. They can be mounted invisibly behind a flat panel monitor,
Increased energy efficiency-Thin clients offer significant savings in power usage over traditional desktops.
Lower total cost of ownership-The increased security, reliability and ease of management contribute to a lower total cost of ownership for your client computing devices. With a longer useful lifespan, thin clients contribute to cost savings.

Reflection:

The Event started good and ended good. The presenters are well prepared and organized. Their topics were interesting. After the discussions we went out to visit different booths. The company’s shows their different latest products such as TV, notebooks, printers, cameras and many more. The exhibit focuses on high-tech gadgets and they are promoting it for better innovation. There are lots of participants from different sectors. There are students, employees, parents and many more.

References:

Last edited by John Paul Pulido on Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jethro Alburo Querubin

PostSubject: COMMDAP   Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:00 am

COMPUTER MANUFACTURERS, DISTRIBUTORS AND DEALERS ASSOCIATION OF THE PHILIPPINES

Last July 02, 2009, COMMDAP was held at Apo View Hotel, Davao City. We went there in the morning and luckily witnessed the opening of the program. I am one of the students who entered first and saw all the different technologies displayed. But, we haven't given much time to watch all the display because we attended the first seminar at 10:30am.

First Session was all about Windows 2008 Server with Mr. Lee L. Gorospe as the speaker. He was a nice speaker and make us all very attentive during the session. He tackled about:

1. Active Directory Roles

Active Directory provides the means to manage the identities and relationships that make up your organization’s network. Integrated with Windows Server 2008, the next generation of Active Directory gives you out-of-the-box functionality needed to centrally configure and administer system, user, and application settings. With Active Directory, you can simplify user and computer management, enable single sign-on (SSO) access to your network resources, and help enhance the privacy and security of stored information and communications.

2. Active Directory Rights Management Service

is an information protection technology that works with AD RMS-enabled applications to help safeguard digital information from unauthorized use. Content owners can define who can open, modify, print, forward, or take other actions with the information.

Used to:
- Restrict access to an organization's intellectual property
-Limit the actions users can perform on content
-Limit the risk of content being exposed outside the organization

3. Read only Domain Controllers

A Read-Only Domain Controller (RODC) is a new type of domain controller in Windows Server 2008. Its main purpose is to improve security in office branches. In this post, I summarize the functionality of RODC.

In office branches, it is often not easy to provide sufficient physical security for servers. It is not a big deal to manipulate a Windows system if you can get physical access to it. Since Domain controllers store security sensitive data, they are particularly endangered. RODCs can help with this problem in four ways:

RODC essentials

* Read-only feature: An intruder on the RODC can’t manipulate the Active Directory database.
* DNS protection: If the RODC server hosts a DNS server, the intruder won’t be able to tamper with the DNS data.
* Password protection: A malicious user won’t be able to access passwords using a brute-force-attack. This applies only if password caching is disabled on the RODC.
* Administrator Role Separation: You can delegate a local Administrator role to a domain user.

Read-only Domain Controller

* An RODC holds all Active Directory objects and attributes.
* RODCs only support unidirectional replication of Active Directory changes (i.e., from the forest to the RODC).
* If an application needs write access to Active Directory objects, the RODC will send an LDAP referral response that redirects the application to a writable domain controller.

DNS Protection

* A DNS server running on an RODC doesn’t support dynamic updates.
* If a client wants to update its DNS record, the RODC will send a referral for a writeable DNS server.
* The client can then update against this DNS server.
* This single record will then be replicated from the writable DNS server to the RODC DNS server.

Password Protection

* By default, an RODC doesn’t store user or computer credentials. (The only exception is the computer account of the RODC itself and a special krbtgt account.)
* However, an RODC can cache passwords.
* If a password isn’t cached, the RODC will forward the authentication request to a writeable DC.
* The Password Replication Policy determines the user groups for which passwords caching will be allowed (more about this in my next post).

Administrator Role Separation:

* A domain user having the Administrator role on an RODC doesn’t have to be a domain admin.
* A domain user having the Administrator role can do maintenance work on the RODC such as installing software.
* If an intruder gains access to the credentials of this local administrator account, he will not be able to make changes on other domain controllers.

4. Hyper-V

Product Details

Windows Server 2008 Hyper-V, the next-generation hypervisor-based server virtualization technology, is available as an integral feature of Windows Server 2008 and enables you to implement server virtualization with ease. Hyper-V allows you to make the best use of your server hardware investments by consolidating multiple server roles as separate virtual machines (VMs) running on a single physical machine.

Technical Resources

Consolidating servers and enabling a high-performance virtual environment is the key to many high availability to mission-critical applications. Businesses are under pressure to ease management and reduce costs while retaining and enhancing competitive advantages, such as flexibility, reliability, scalability, and security. Discover the many benefits of the virtualization capabilities in Windows Server 2008 and access the technical resources and links to get your team started.

Community Resources

Whether you're considering which product and technologies to use, or need support for solutions you’ve implemented, find the right venue to learn from others like you. Community resources provide powerful options to learn from other IT professionals and developers who have implemented a wide range of
Hyper-V solutions. Learn and participate with your peers, as well as the Virtualization development team.

5. Network Access Protection

NAP client
The NAP client consists of three layers: the System Health Agents (SHA), the NAP Agent, and the Enforcement Clients (EC). There are also APIs allowing third-party vendors to integrate their own SHAs and ECs in Microsoft’s NAP infrastructure.

System Health Agent (SHA)
The SHA checks if certain system health requirements are fulfilled. The SHA that comes with Vista and Windows Server 2008 can verify whether the following conditions are met: Windows Firewall is on; antivirus and antispyware software are installed, enabled, and updated; Microsoft Update Services is enabled, and the most recent security updates are installed. If the system is not in the required state, the SHA can then start a process to remedy the situation. For example, it can enable Windows Firewall or contact a remediation server to update the antivirus signatures.

NAP Agent
Sometimes this component is also called Quarantine Agent. It maintains the health state information and facilitates the communication between the SHAs and the ECs.

Enforcement Client (EC)
Sometimes you will also find this as the Quarantine Enforcement Client (QEC). Each NAP enforcement method has its own EC. So there is a DHCP EC and an IPsec EC, for example. Usually, they are integrated with the corresponding service client. So the DHCP EC is a part of the DHCP client. Its main function is to communicate with the server side NAP infrastructure, thereby, enforcing the quarantine of the client if the health requirements are not met. It is the only client component that interacts with the NAP infrastructure on the server side.

Let’s look at the server side of the NAP infrastructure.

Enforcement Server (ES)
This can also be referred to as the Quarantine Enforcement Server (QES). The NAP ES communicates with its corresponding NAP EC. Each enforcement method has its own ES and is integrated in the corresponding service. For example, the DHCP ES is a part of the DHCP Server. Essentially, the ES has the same functions as the EC. It is the interface between the server side NAP infrastructure and the client side, and ensures that noncompliant clients are quarantined. For example, the DHCP ES would make sure that a DHCP server issues the network mask 255.255.255.255 to noncompliant clients. This way they can’t access other computers in the network.

NAP Server
A NAP server is just another name for a NAP-enabled server component. So a DHCP server supporting NAP is a NAP server, for example. Don’t confuse it with a NAP Health Policy Server.

NAP Health Policy Server (NPS)
The NPS consists of the NPS Service, the NAP Administration Server and the System Health Validator (SHV) components.

System Health Validator (SHV)
Each SHV has a corresponding SHA on the client side. It is here where you define the health requirements for your whole network. Windows Server 2008 comes with just one SHV allowing you to choose among the health requirements mentioned above (Windows Firewall enabled, antivirus software updated etc). Third-party vendors can integrate their own SHVs here.

NAP Administration Server
The NAP Administration Server is kind of a distributor and integrator for NAP information. Information that comes from the NPS service is distributed to the different SHVs. Each SHV only receives the information which is relevant for it. The information that comes from the different SHVs is integrated in one message and passed on to the NPS Service.

NPS Service
The NPS Service communicates with the NAP Server using the RADIUS protocol. It is kind of an interface between the NAP server and the NAP Administration Server.

6. Server Core

One of the most exciting new features of Windows Server 2008 is its ability to install as a Server Core machine.

A Server Core installation provides a minimal environment for running specific server roles, which reduces the maintenance and management requirements and the attack surface for those server roles. A server running a Server Core installation supports the following server roles:

* Active Directory Domain Services (AD DS)
* Active Directory Lightweight Directory Services (AD LDS)
* DHCP Server
* DNS Server
* File Services
* Print Services
* Streaming Media Services
* Internet Information Services (IIS)
* Windows Virtualization

In Windows Server 2008, Server Core installation does not include the traditional full graphical user interface (GUI).

What’s new in the Server Core installation option?

The Server Core installation option of Windows Server 2008 requires initial configuration at a command prompt. A Server Core installation does not include the traditional full graphical user interface. Once you have configured the server, you can manage it locally at a command prompt or remotely using a Terminal Server connection. You can also manage the server remotely using the Microsoft Management Console (MMC) or command-line tools that support remote use.
Benefits of a Server Core installation

The Server Core installation option of Windows Server 2008 provides the following benefits:

* Reduced maintenance - Because the Server Core installation option installs only what is required to have a manageable server for the AD DS, AD LDS, DHCP Server, DNS Server, File Services, Print Services, and Streaming Media Services roles, less maintenance is required than on a full installation of Windows Server 2008.
* Reduced attack surface - Because Server Core installations are minimal, there are fewer applications running on the server, which decreases the attack surface.
* Reduced management - Because fewer applications and services are installed on a server running the Server Core installation, there is less to manage.
* Less disk space required - A Server Core installation requires only about 1 gigabyte (GB) of disk space to install and approximately 2 GB for operations after the installation.
* Lower risk of bugs - Reducing the amount of code can help reduce the amount of bugs.

Issues with Server Core installation and upgrading from previous versions

Since Server Core is a special installation of Windows Server 2008, the following limitations are present:

* There is no way to upgrade from a previous version of the Windows Server operating system to a Server Core installation. Only a clean installation is supported.
* There is no way to upgrade from a full installation of Windows Server 2008 to a Server Core installation. Only a clean installation is supported.
* There is no way to upgrade from a Server Core installation to a full installation of Windows Server 2008. If you need the Windows® user interface or a server role that is not supported in a Server Core installation, you will need to install a full installation of Windows Server 2008.

Server Core versions

Server Core comes in Standard, Enterprise and Datacenter editions for i386 and x64 platforms. Most companies will probably go for the Standard edition because most of the differences found in the Enterprise and Datacenter editions of Windows Server 2008 won't be present in Server Core. The Enterprise Server Core will, however, allow you to utilize more processor and memory support, as well as clustering. Datacenter adds the whole Datacenter hardware program and 99.999 percent reliability.

Reference:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2008/en/us/active-directory.aspx
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc771234(WS.10).aspx
http://4sysops.com/archives/windows-server-2008-read-only-domain-controller-rodc/
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2008/en/us/hyperv-main.aspx
http://4sysops.com/archives/windows-server-2008-nap-network-access-protection-infrastructure/
http://www.petri.co.il/understanding-windows-server-2008-core.htm
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kristine_delatorre

PostSubject: Re: COMDDAP 2009 Learnings/Reflections (Due: July 10, 2009)   Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:06 am

COMDDAP Davao 2009 is said to be the biggest I.T. expo held regularly in the South.

COMDDAP stand for Computer Manufacturers, Distributors, and Dealers association of the Philippines which was held during July 2-4, 2009.This event is held to Discover new technology and applications that will help increase productivity in different business. To meet up with top distributors and resellers of the world's leading brand names.To Gain market intelligence and be updated on the latest market trends.

as we enter Apo view hotel here in Davao city.. the ambiance was inviting. I, together with my classmate enter the said establishment to find out what COMDDAP has something to show us IT students. People passing by some were just passers who was curious with the event. But some had caught my attention. With tags wrote EXHIBITOR. I was amazed by them. Exhibitor of the COMDDAP exhibits are mostly IT professionals. Expert in a lot of aspects in IT. As we are about to tour the place, Students like me from different university and colleges here in Davao are everywhere in the corner of the room. Some student were testing gadgets, some gathered pamphlets and some were just simply stare and amazed. One thing has come up to my mind the moment i step closer to the first booth i surveyed - HIGH.

i was high because it was my first time. First time to experience a once in a lifetime opportunity to actually experience what IT professionals world. And someday i dreamt that i will be become like them.

i was high because i was amazed. Amazed of the latest gadgets and technologies that help uplift the living of the people here in the Philippines. Beautiful laptops, notebook, plasma tvs and cameras were exhibit being proud of what Filipino products and International companies like HP has stored for us Techy guys and girls.i had Get up close and take a first-hand look at the latest I.T. products and software for computing, imaging, printing , connecting and communications, security, entertainment and lifestyle applications.

i was high because I've learned a lot. I'd learned that IT industry is expanding and growing. It provides a lot of careers and opportunity for those IT students who take his career as a serious thing to be appreciated. This world is fast pace. We need to go with the flow.

i was high because i was oriented. Oriented as i we joined many IT professionals and students in a close door product endorsement or exhibit with The Nexus Group and HP. The First presentation was about the Database System that The Nexus Group made. They present to us how was the database system is being done and implemented. They had also shared some important facts about how systems made are step by step procedures and make your client prioritized all the time. The second presentor was from HP. The HP representative has introduced us to their latest technology. The THIN CLIENT. The thin client was somewhat similar to the function of the CPU of the desktop but it has wonderful features that exceeds the capacity and features of a desktop system unit.

i was high because i loved being an IT student. It has made me realize that opportunities are like a passing wind. You have to feel it and let your system feel every inch on how IT had changed your prospect in life.

i was high because COMDDAP had showed me professionalism. Many individuals are there to show support in the said the Bloomed industry today.

i was high because its fulfilling. The experience with my friends and classmate had allowed us to faced reality than just theory inside the classroom.

after the presentation of HP of The Thin Client, we decided to exit the room. All my friends were talking about the fun experience. Like me, they were also astounded by the once in a lifetime experience that COMDDAP has offered to us.

Being a student of USEP has given me an opportunity to explore everything behind classroom. Experience as a tool, it will help us mold into a person we want to be in future. time will tell with the Help of almighty God. Success is beyond reach!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://kjdelatorre.blogspot.com/
Stihl Lhyn Samonte

PostSubject: COMDDAP 2009 Learnings/Reflections   Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:56 am

Computer Manufacturers, Distributors, and Dealers association of the Philippines(COMDDAP)

• About COMDDAP

On July 02, 2009, Thursday at exactly 1:00pm, together with my classmates, we went to the Apo View Hotel to attend a seminar on different organizations and to witness an exhibit on different technology products. We saw different gadgets, latest computer and other computer stuffs. We were enjoying watching the gadgets and products they exhibit. We were busy roaming around, taking pictures, exploring and trying the high technology products they exhibit. After were seen the different exhibitors displayed, we proceed to the final session.
The first speaker was Mr. Celmer L. Santos from Jupiter Systems, Incorporated. He shared a brief history of the said company. Jupiter's display wall processors are designed for continuous, 24x7 operation and are used in more than 6000 network operation centers, electric power generation and distribution control rooms, boardrooms, intelligent traffic control centers, 911 dispatch centers, financial operations, surveillance and security centers, and fixed and mobile military operations control centers around the world. He had talked about Enterprise Resource Information and Control (ERICDMS) Brilliant Dealer Management System which involves car dealerships and service transactions. I had taken some notes that he had discussed.
The second speaker was Leonard Zapa, a Market Development Manager of HP Company. He discussed about Linux, CE, and XPe. As a student I can say that I could relate this because I have already heard about HP. He gave some prizes such as T-shirts and USB flash disks. The room was filled with excitement. He talked about new a product, the thin client. Thin client is a client computer or client software in client-server architecture networks which depends primarily on the central server for processing activities, and mainly focuses on conveying input and output between the user and the remote server. In contrast, a thick or fat client does as much processing as possible and passes only data for communications and storage to the server.
The third speaker discussed about Microsoft Dynamics Retail Management System. He discussed short information about their company.
The last speaker talked about the Open Source for Business Applications of the Spinweb Productions, Incorporated. He gave some ideas about open source, like open source was a source code, free, open, contributor, free license, etc. He also gave us some websites such as lullabot.com, joomlapolis.com, joomla.org.ph, and openwp.org.
We were so happy with all fulfillments that we have given an opportunity like this and learned everything and to witness an IT exhibit on different technology products. It was so interested on the products that they exhibit. Our visiting in COMDDAP would never be complete without taking pictures.

Sources:
http://www.jupiter.com/cm/Home.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thin_client

mY bLog:http://stihlyn.blogspot.com/ Arrow
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Norena T. Nicdao

PostSubject: Re: COMDDAP 2009 Learnings/Reflections (Due: July 10, 2009)   Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:16 pm

Last July 2, 2009, we attended an exhibit called COMDDAP (COMPUTER MANUFACTURERS, DISTRIBUTORS AND DEALERS ASSOCIATION OF THE PHILIPPINES) in Apo View Hotel.

What is COMDDAP (COMPUTER MANUFACTURERS, DISTRIBUTORS AND DEALERS ASSOCIATION OF THE PHILIPPINES)?

THE POWER OF INTERDEPENDENCE COMDDAP is an association of the country's top information technology businesses. Its primary objective is to promote the sustainable development of the of the country's information technology industry through voluntary collaboration of its member companies. It is the goal of COMDDAP to be able to provide its members general views and updates from different sectors - private and government, and highly regarded individuals to further uplift the morale and knowledge of its organization.

Source: http://www.comddap.org/aboutus.htm

Sir Rand Gamboa told us about the exhibit and he invited his students to attend the said exhibit. We need to register first through the internet in the Nexus group for us to attend at least 2 seminars or sessions in the exhibit. It has 4 seminars or sessions held in the exhibit. But we only attended 2 seminars or sessions which was the ERIC DMS (Dealer Management System) and the HP Invent. Before we attend to the seminar we watched the different technology and products o f the different company who present their exhibit. I saw and observed new technologies they present. Their were also many businessman, visitors and students from different schools and other people who watched the exhibit. We took some pictures and registered to the different raffle draw. Other exhibitors gave some tokens like the GH Office Depot, they gave us ball pens as a token.

The first seminar was all about the ERIC DMS (Dealer Management System) they used in their company. Mr Celmir L. Santos was the presenter or the speaker. He explained about the usage and features of the DMS (Dealership Management System) they had in their company.

What is ERIC DMS - Dealer Management System?

The ERIC Dealer Management System (DMS) is an end-to-end software solution for automotive sales, parts, and service businesses. ERIC DMS covers the full range of dealer activities- from marketing to sales and services.

Seamless integration with core ERIC ERP modules for inventory, procurement, and financial accounting completes the package. This enables management to have full visibility on operations and finances through a comprehensive set of reports.

Source: http://www.jupitersystems.com.ph/edms.aspx

These are the general features of the system:

- Sales lead monitoring from initial inquiry to actual
- Sales quotation processing
- Supports sales of new and used vehicles
- Financing and Insurance transactions
- Vehicle reservation and deposit collection
- Vehicle Inventory
- Customer incident and resolution recording
- Reports and Queries
- Customer Appointments
- Repair, Order and Estimates
- Customer and Vehicle service History
- Technincian Time-in/Time-out
- Control Parts and Consumable cost

The following are the ERIC DMS (Dealer Management System) clients:

- Honda
- Mercedes Benz
- Mitsubishi
- etc.

Dealer Management System is a complete, end-to-end relationship.

The second seminar or session was all about the new product of the HP Invent which is the THIN CLIENTS.

About HP Company

Hewlett-Packard (Canada) Co., established in Montreal, Quebec in 1961, is a wholly owned subsidiary of California-based Hewlett-Packard Co - a technology solutions provider to consumers, businesses and institutions around the world. HP Canada has an extensive network of dealers and authorized service personnel in Canada and operates 28 offices across the country.

Led by Paul Tsaparis, President and CEO, HP Canada delivers solutions for Canadian consumers, enterprises and small to medium businesses. We explore how technology and services can help people and companies address their problems and challenges, and realize their possibilities, aspirations and dreams. We apply new thinking and ideas to create more simple, valuable and trusted experiences with technology, continuously improving the way our customers live and work.
No other company offers as complete a technology product portfolio as HP. We provide infrastructure and business offerings that span from handheld devices to some of the world's most powerful supercomputer installations. We offer consumers a wide range of products and services from digital photography to digital entertainment and from computing to home printing. This comprehensive portfolio helps us match the right products, services and solutions to our customers' specific needs.

Source: http://www.hp.com/canada/corporate/hp_info/aboutus.html

Mr. Leonard Zapa was the presenter or speaker in the seminar. He is the Market Developer Manager of the company. I had take down some notes from their presentation. About the product THIN CLIENTS is a computing device without a hard drive which displays data and applications from remotely located servers, blade PC's, or Virtual Desktops.

THIN CLIENTS OS (Operating Systems):

- Linux
- windowsCE
- WindowsXPe

There were also challenges for Information Technology (IT) Professionals:

- Provide Information Security
- Deployment and Maintenance
- Total Cost of Ownership (TCO)

Advantages of the THIN CLIENTS:

- Enhanced Security
- Easy Manageability
- High Reliability
- Environment Friendly
- Lower-Overall Costs

After the presentation they gave several questions regarding to their presentation. If someone answer the question they gave some tokens like T-Shirt, Flash drive (5 pieces of 2G USB and 1 piece of 8G USB) and 1 piece of mouse in the computer. We're very excited to answer the question for the tokens. After the seminars, we left the room because we want to continue our viewing in the exhibit. We continue collecting flyers or magazines for us to have a references. Because of this event I had gathered some information regarding the technology and other things which is related in our course.

Last edited by Norena T. Nicdao on Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:52 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jezreel Jyl P. Hilado

PostSubject: • COMDDAP •   Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:40 pm

COMDDAP 2009

Last July 2 – 4, 2009 the Computer Manufacturer, Distributors and Dealers Association of the Philippines or COMDDAP conducted a 3 day exhibit, sessions and seminars at the Grand Ballroom of the Apo View Hotel. This was opened to the public including the sessions which the registration is through online. The said event was participated by the leading manufacturers, distributors and dealers of computers and other modern gadgets and systems all over the Philippines. The tech update sessions were scheduled on July 2 to 3. These sessions were free of charge. The said sessions were done by the members of Nexus Group.

All the students under Sir RS Gamboa were tasked to join the said event. Most of us chose the First day of the session since we don’t have any vacant schedule. July 2, 2009, at exactly 1:00 in the afternoon we arrived at the Apo View Hotel, Grand Ballroom. Before we enter the place, we were instructed to get a sticker that shall be worn upon entering the Grand Ballroom. Some of my classmates said that we must first register and write our names in a paper so that we may be able to join the raffle draw but the security guard told us that we are not included. (nawong jud mi ug price.haha.)

When we entered the Grand Ballroom, we saw different booths of the distributors that were part of COMDDAP. We saw hi-tech gadgets, computers and many more. And I said to myself, wow! Kuyaw na jud ang technology karon na panahon.(na-ignorante gud ko kadali.lol). I took pictures all over the place and I was really amazed. It was my first time to join that kind of event and it was indeed a great experience.

After we took some pictures and glanced over the gadgets, we immediately went to the sessions that we chose upon registering online. We entered the Vanda function room the Apo View.

The first session was done by
the ERIC Dealer Management System. ERIC DMS is an end-to-end software
solution for automotive dealer operation. ERIC DMS range solutions
cover Customer Relationship Management (CRM), Vehicle Sales and
Administration (VSA), and Service Management (SVM). It is also
supported by a robust back-end system on parts and supplies inventory,
over the counter sales, purchasing and the requisite financial modules
for financial accounting and reporting. ERIC DMS was part by the
Jupiter Systems Inc.

The second session was from HP. The speaker
introduced the amazing device which is called the Thin Client. Thin
clients are computing devices that function as an access device on a
network. HP thin client has the solution if your business is facing
issues such as Desktop replacement costs, Network Security, Supporting
application software on diverse hardware or Ensuring your data remains
accessible and secure. HP is a member of Nexus Technologies, Inc. After
the session, the speaker asked some questions and gave the one who can
answer a price. They were given flash disks and t-shirts.

The third session was from Microsoft Dynamic Retail Management System. The Philippine retail industry continues to thrive despite the global financial crisis. Retailers challenged with multi-branch servicing cost need a scalable solution to bring sales orders to its branches promote interbrand stock sharing and send sales information to the head office seamlessly. Find out how you can have enterprise-class tools to analyze data at a fraction of the cost. The need for timely business information helps them improve their bottomline, restore order to multi-branch stores and meet geographical challenges. Retail Management System is part the Nexus Professional Services and Solutions or NPSS.

The last session was Open Source For Applications. We were supposed to leave the session since it was already 5:00 o’clock but we chose to stay because we want to learn more. Although we were already hungry, we never hesitated to stay. Open Source for Applications, as companies cut IT spending by up to 10 percent, its income generating prospects need not suffer. Open Source development for business applications has proven to lower acquisition costs, and decrease vendor lock-in reliance and obsolescence rate so that even commercial software giants have acknowledged the rise of this technology by allowing interoperability. We discovered how the use of internet based Open Source platforms is a viable alternative for developing systems such as corporate, e-commerce, CRM, employment, publishing and collaborative. Some of us were also given chocolates from the speaker. Very Happy

By joining these sessions, we have learned a lot of things from these new technologies that have been introduced to us. It has been a great help for us as an Information Technology Students. Some of the speakers, taught us not only from their products but also they exceed the line in teaching us some new thing. This experience was indeed a great one.

reference:
http://www.comddap.org/

my blog Arrow http://fujiwarayumi.blogspot.com/

Last edited by Jezreel Jyl P. Hilado on Fri Jul 10, 2009 3:00 pm; edited 4 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jan Neil Enanoria Gador

PostSubject: Comddap Expo 2009 - I was there   Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:51 pm

[justify]Last July 2 – 4, 2009, The COMDDAP (Computer Manufacturers and Dealers Association of the Philippines) Expo 2009 was held at the Grand Ballroom, Apo View Hotel, Davao City where some of the big computer companies showed their latest products and provide sessions or seminars for their viewers and clients. The event is open to all interested viewers especially to those who are interested in IT. However there was a bit of a snag because of limited seats so we had to register to be able to attend the sessions, our section registered on the sessions that took place in the afternoon of July 2, the first day of the exhibit. To be honest I was not able to register to all of the sessions on the first day so I ended up writing my name on a piece of paper just to attend the sessions.

The first session that we entered was about the ERIC DMS International System. ERIC stands for Enterprise Resource Information and Control and DMS stands for Dealers Management System. This system was developed by Jupiter Systems Inc., a 24 year old enterprise company which is a company that deals with automobiles. Mr. Celmer Santos was the one who presided the session and gave us an overview of their system. ERIC DMS is a system designed by Jupiter Systems to provide end to end solution for auto dealers. The system has a process flow composed of Pre Sales Features, Vehicle Sales, and After Sales.

Some of the Pre Sales Features include Sales Lead Monitoring from Initial Inquiry to Actual Close. The system keeps track of leads, customers, from its initial inquiry until it buys a car. Sales Appointments, it is where the system keeps scheduled appointment of leads in the company, appointments include visiting the company and test driving a certain vehicle. Supervisor Review of Appointments, it is where a supervisor can retrieve or review appointments on its leads. Monitoring Sales Stages, the system also keeps data on a certain customer and the stages of its dealings and Keeping Call History. This feature of the system stores records on the call history of a certain customer.

The second part of the process flow of the system is the vehicle sales. Some features of vehicle sales include Support of Sales of new and old vehicles which means a dealer can also sell second vehicles to his customer depending on the customer’s choice. Inventory Checking so that the dealer knows if a certain vehicle, part, or equipment is in stock if ever a lead orders something from the dealer. Vehicle Agreement Processing, keeping tabs of the dealer and customer agreement on the price, add-ons, etc. The system is also capable of processing receivables and payables from banks and insurance companies, whichever the client chooses.

The third part of the process flow is the After Sales. Features from this part are Customer Appointments, Operation Maintenance, Repair Orders, and Repair Estimates. The system is indeed an end-to-end solution for dealers. The system is also capable of monitor the performance of his or her technicians where the system allots time for a certain job to be done. For example, changing the engine of the vehicle would take two hours to finish, so system keeps track of the performance of a technician by means of checking in and checking out of the technician which is called job in and job out. The session took almost an hour and I noticed that my classmates were not so interested maybe because they couldn’t relate because they are not into cars. However, I also saw some of them who were into it not only because they are into cars but they saw the capability of the system and was amazed by it.

I remember one the audience asked if they would adopt or use that kind of system, how they will transfer their data from their previous or traditional system to the new system. Will they do it manually? So Mr. Celmer said that the data would be inputted in an excel file to authenticate if the data are accurate and ready for migration and then it could now be transferred to the database. He did not explain it in detail but the questioner got his answer.

The next session that we had was the introduction of the Hp Thin Client which was introduced by Mr. Leonard Zapa. I know many of the viewers liked this session because of the fact that freebies will given to those who can answer his questions. The first time I saw an Hp Thin Client I really thought it was a miniaturized central processing unit which is more powerful and compact. It was in this session that I realized that an Hp Thin Client is a computing device without a hard disk and cooling fan. I was pretty amazed by it.

I was more amazed when the thin client features were shown to us. Hp thin client are reliable and easier to manage. They provide solutions to problems like loss of data, virus and malicious attacks that cripple the computer system and threat brought by natural disasters. These machines are reliable because it can used with a server or used like a desktop computer and when it is used with a server, it makes it more reliable because the machine acts as a front end for the end users but the programs a run from the server so if there would be natural threats like blackouts, your data will still be in tact because the data are in the server. It also provides many advantages which make it more interesting to use for corporate and non corporate people. Aside from its lockdown feature which makes it invulnerable to viruses is because when you reboot the system the changes that you made will be discarded and so does the viruses. It is also eco friendly and has low initial cost compared to desktop computers and not only that, it also has longer life expectancy than desktop computers. It only consumes 11 to 20 watts which is really low compared to desktops so it lowers the cost of paying the light bill. Thin clients are ideal for task based workers that only use two or more applications at a time. Basically the Thin Client poses many advantages for its users which make it ideal for business.

After the discussion comes the most awaited part of the session, the question and answer portion. The questions were easy, if you listened, and all of the students who got the freebies came from USeP. I really didn’t thought that I was going to go out of that room with a freebie but I was lucky enough to be able to answer the last question which got me to given the 8gig USB. My listening and jotting notes really paid off.

Here are pictures that I had during and after the event.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
janraysuriba

PostSubject: Re: COMDDAP 2009 Learnings/Reflections (Due: July 10, 2009)   Fri Jul 10, 2009 3:50 pm

COMDDAP is abbreviation for Computer Manufacturers, Distributors and Dealer Association of the Philippines. COMDDAP is an association of the country's top information technology businesses. Its primary objective is to promote the sustainable development of the of the country's information technology industry through voluntary collaboration of its member companies. It is the goal of COMDDAP to be able to provide its members general views and updates from different sectors - private and government, and highly regarded individuals to further uplift the morale and knowledge of its organization.

COMDDAP’s vision is to promote and elevating the standards of Information technology (IT) in the Philippines fueled a group of prominent computer companies. Its initial member-companies represent the world's leading makers and providers of computer products, solutions and peripherals.

COMDDAP counts among its achievements the holding of the Annual COMDDAP exhibit, more popularly known as the COMDDAP EXPO, which has become a consistent crowd drawer and has in itself set new records in terms of the quality of exhibit area, exhibitors, visitors, and venues. In fact, COMDDAP EXPO in 1999 marked the first exhibit to have adapted an upgraded booth shell schemes

The annual COMDDAP endeavor encourages its participants to launch their products and services, as well as hold seminars with a variety of topics in the areas of technology, trends, applications, and information management.

COMDDAP's biggest leap was being able to cross boarders or go regional by bringing the exposition down south in Cebu and Davao City, and to even greater heights in the cities of Baguio and Naga, and most recently, in Iloilo City.

Last July 2-4, 2009 COMDDAP just held an EXPO in Davao City at Grand Ballroom, Apo View Hotel. I was there at the exhibit and was able to register for the seminar. To be sure I register for July 2 and July 3 seminar incase I can’t attend the July 2 seminar I can still attend the seminar for the next day. And as expected at the first day of the expo I was late and the seats are already full when I arrive. So I decided to attend the seminar for July 3. Since I won’t be able to attend the seminar at the first day of the expo I roam around and watch the participating companies of the expo exhibit their technologies and services. I was amazed by the technologies that they exhibit at the expo. It is a proof that IT industry here in the Philippines is growing fast. While I was roaming around I passed at the booth of NVIDIA, I was stunned as NVIDIA exhibits two of their powerful gaming PC. With Core 2 Quad CPU and I think it has 2 NVIDIA XFX 512bit graphic cards, 160GB DDR2 RAM and an nvidia mother board with three graphic card slot. It is a very great PC with high processing capability and great graphics. It is a dream computer for gamers like me. Hehehe.

July 3, 2009, second day of COMDDAP EXPO, I was able to arrive earlier than yesterday. I attended the seminar for HP (Hewlett Packard) thin client, Microsoft Windows Server 2008 and Open Source software.

Mr. Leonard Zapa, the market development manager of HP here in the Philippines presents one of their fast growing products, the HP thin client. The HP thing client is one great innovation from HP. I was amazed by the thin client’s capability. Thin client applied the concept of virtualization; it is like the client side of the server has been virtualized. Thin client solved many issues like security and loss of data. And you can also save more money in using thin client because it has less electricity consumption and less maintenance. The thin client runs on windows embedded OS. HP thin client is a computing device like a desktop. But the thin client is a device without a hard drive and it only displays data and application from remote servers or blade PC. It is more secured because the only data that it transmits to the server are the mouse and keyboard input. You can also install some application on the thin client because it has flash memory or something (I forget the exact term). If ever the thin client got infected with a virus all you have to do is to restart the device and the deep freeze will work and the device resets to its previous status without the virus. You will not need anti virus or something because the data in you server side will not be affected by the virus. Your data will be more secured with this device. There are many thin client devices and each has different features.

After the discussion is the question and answer portion. Mr. Leonard Zapa prepared some interesting prizes like flash drives and t-shirts from HP Philippines for those who can answer the questions correctly. Some of my schoolmates and classmates had won the prize. To bad for me I wasn’t called.

After the discussion about the HP thin client was all about Microsoft Windows Server 2008. The discussion on Microsoft Windows Server 2008 is not really that interested. Because the topic about the Windows Server 2008 is very technical and it won’t easily be understood in just one discussion only except if you had worked on Windows Server before and knows about some of its feature and how it works. But for me and my classmates it is not really that interested. But still I was able to listen to some of what the speaker discussed. The Microsoft Windows Server 2008 is a NOS or Network Operating System for servers. The speaker discussed about the installation process of the different directory roles in server and some of the new features of Windows Server 2008. I was able to list down the different active directory roles which are the Active Directory Domain Services (ADDS), the Active Domain Certificate Services (ADCS), Active Domain Federation Services (ADFS), Active Domain Lightweight Directory (ADLD), and Active Domain Rights Management Services (ADRM). I forgot the function of these active directory roles because it is more technical that’s why it is not easy to absorb in just discussion. And the speaker talks very fast. After the discussion is the question and answer portion again. One thing that took my attention was the Microsoft Jacket that is one of the prizes that will be given away by the speaker. To I didn’t win a prize again.

After the Microsoft Windows Server 2008 is the topic about Open Source Software. I wasn’t able to start the discussion because I ate my snack first. When I came back the speaker was talking about the different open source software and how it work and different businesses and web sites that uses open source software. This is the topic that took my attention. Because open source software really help makes the work easy and less expensive. I now know some of the sites in where to download some of the open source software.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
AlyssaRae Soriano

PostSubject: Re: COMDDAP 2009 Learnings/Reflections (Due: July 10, 2009)   Fri Jul 10, 2009 4:33 pm

July 03, 2009. COMDDAP Exhibition held at Apo View Hotel. I was there, and I was able to attend the 2nd day seminar from 1:00pm up to 6:00 pm. I implemented a strict policy just for myself intended for that day actually. And it is to dress properly which means formal blouse not a dress because I am not comfortable with it, with matching high heeled shoes that would fit for my attire that day, and to act accordingly which means I should not make any unnecessary movements such as speaking loudly, laughing as if there is no tomorrow and acting like a boy. Just kidding! (hehe.)

I was not able to attend for July 2 seminar unlike my other classmates because I WAS REGISTERED LATE. I cannot make it even if I want to since that the seats are limited. (sigh!) In relation to that, I was registered for July 3 schedule, and it was the only option available. I was able to attend the ERIC-DMS seminar, the HP Thin Client, The Windows Server 2008 and The Open Source Forum. From the topics I mentioned, the Open Source forum was the one I find really interesting.

From The ERIC-DMS seminar or lecture (hehe), whose name of the speaker I forgot, I think he emphasizes that mostly their clients are from the Cars Industry. As mentioned by him are MITSUBISHI, MAZDA, HONDA, VOLVO, and a lot more. ERIC which stands for Enterprise Resource Information and Control , and DMS for Dealer Management System. ERIC-DMS which was under by Jupiter Systems Inc., is a 24-year old enterprise software company which is owned purely by Filipinos. Aren’t we somehow proud of that? (hehe) The Dealer Management System (DMS) has the following coverage:
-Customer Relationship Management,
-Vehicle Sales Administration,
-Sales Management,
-Parts Inventory,
-Payroll/Time Card,
-Purchasing or Procurement,
-General Ledger,
-Accounts Payable,
-Accounts Receivable, and
-Order Entry and Billing.

As I take down notes all of the must post details, unfortunately, I was not able to catch up all the things that the speaker said. (hehe) Meanwhile, the CRM (I don’t know what this stands for) Pre-Sales has these following features:
-Sales lead monitoring from initial inquiry to actual close
-Sales quotation processing
-Supervisor review of appointment schedules and sales calls
-Monitor sales stages
-Classifies sales probabilities
-Keeps all call histories
-Prospect follow-up reminders
-Lead generation reports

The ERIC DMS-Vehicle Sales Administration:
-The system supports sales of new and used vehicles
-The vehicle inventory checking in multiple branches and warehouses
-Vehicle purchase agreement processing
-Vehicle Sales Invoicing
-Process receivables and payable form
-Vehicle delivery Advice Entry
-Vehicle Receipt to Warehouse
-Vehicle Inventory Calling
-Registers all vehicle purchase to service management and CRM module
-Online interface to ERIC accounting module

And lastly, their Service Management General Features:
-Advance Bookings/Customer Appointments
-Operation Maintenance/FLAT Rates
-Repair orders
-Customer Service history
-Technician Time-in/Time-out
-Parts Requisitioning and Picking
-Warranty claims and Processing
-Field Service Actions(campaigns)
-Service Reminders
-Highly graphical technician assignments and loading window
-Sublet P.O processing

Just for the sake of being honest, I have this notes without listening to the speaker as to what he is really talking. Why? Because he was really a very FAST and spontaneous speaker. Especially that, I as just a student, cannot relate to what he is talking about and to what message he wants to say. Because of that, I just chat down notes, act as if I am really interested and copy all the necessary information that can be seen on his slides. (hehe.)

After the very fast ERIC-DMS, here comes HP Thin-Client which for me is more informative and the topic I can much relate to than the first one. The speaker whose name must not be mentioned here, first discussed what is a Thin Client. At first look, for me it was really just a thin and simple system unit. Just another product made by HP, but as the discussion went on, it was clear that Thin Client can really make your life much easier. I mean, less hassle, no need to set up many anti-virus on every unit that you have, it may be a lot expensive than a simple system unit when it comes to purchasing, but in the long run you will find that it is much cheaper if you sum up all the expenses.

As said by the speaker, HP today is one of the FORTUNE 500 companies, one of the leading and powerful companies in IT Industry. HP (Hewlett-Packard) have their operations in 178 countries worldwide. They are customer focus, and 3rd on the rank in releasing patents worldwide. Actually they can produce 11 patents a day. I had learned the challenger for IT professionals as based on the speaker himself, they are the following:
-Provide information security
-Deployment and maintenance
-Total Cost of Ownership (TCO)

And also, with a brief explanation of what a Thin Client is, it is a computing device without a hard drive, which displays data and applications from remotely located servers, blade PCs, or virtual desktops. Thin Client can also be used independently, as a task specific computing device with a minimal set of applications installed.

Right after Mr. Thin Client, was Mr. Windows Server 2008. I am not so really interested with this part since that it was more technical than the previous two topics. Also, they were discussing more on installation process of the different Directory Roles in the server which for more is not so interesting. I had gone through with so many installation processes during my Data Communications subject and I cannot force myself to get a hold of the topic because my interest was not there. I didn’t mean to be rude or what but I just don’t like the topic even if I know that it would give me a great help someday. (sigh!)

But then I was able to take down notes. I did jut down the different Active Directory roles which are the Active Directory Domain Services, the Active Domain Certificate Services, Active Domain Federation Services, Active Domain Lightweight Directory, and Active Domain Rights Management Services. As to what are the functions of these, well, that is something I cannot answer. Actually, the speaker was also a very fast one. (hehe)

And lastly, the Open Source forum. This was the most interesting among them all. Actually, I was not able to start the forum because I had my early dinner that time, so what was left for me to attend to are the different softwares that can be found on the web such as Joomla, Drupal, Tomcat, MySql, and names I cannot recall. It was really a nice topic, so many things that can be found on the web, and that outsourcing can be fun but you must make sure that you are relying on a competent site. For you not to fail as a client.

"Given Enough eyeballs, ALL BUGS ARE SHALLOW" -Linus' Law. Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Roy Cuevas

PostSubject: COMDDAP 2009 Learnings/Reflections   Fri Jul 10, 2009 4:39 pm

Last July 2-4, 2009, COMDDAP Davao ’09 was held at the Apo View Hotel, Davao City. It was a once a year expo event here in Davao, so we couldn’t miss it. My classmates, friends and I went there to check out what was there to see. And also, we attended the tech update sessions there at the Apo View’s Vanda Function Room, which were free of charge. It was only that there were limited seats, so, you had to be early there so you could listen well. But first, what is COMDDAP, and what does it mean?

COMDDAP stands for Computer Manufacturers, Distributors and Dealers Association of the Philippines. Some of its Primary Members are Canon Marketing (Philippines), Inc., Epson Philippines Corporation, Fujitsu Philippines, Inc., Hewlett Packard (HP) Philippines Corporation, Microsoft Philippines and others. Some of its Associate Members are Creative Technologies, Inc., Innovista Technologies, Inc., and Silicon Valley Computer Center.

COMDDAP Davao is the biggest I.T. expo held regularly in the South. It showcases the latest I.T. products and software for computing, imaging, printing, connecting and communications, security, entertainment and lifestyle applications. It has also events like the Technology Update series of seminars and workshops, products demos, as well as event discounts, raffle draws and generous giveaways for lucky attendees. The seminars now were the ADOBE Seminar Series on Flash CS4, Dreamweaver CS4, Fireworks CS4 and Contribute. These were held at the Cattleya Function Room at the Apo View Hotel.

The technology update sessions there were the Windows Server 2008, the ERIC Dealer Management System, the HP Thin Client, Retail Management Overview and Open Source Business Applications. I only had the privilege to attend two of these sessions, which were the ERIC DMS, and the HP Thin Client. I would gladly share to you what I had learned and heard there.

The Enterprise Resource Information and Control (ERIC) Dealer Management System is an end-t-o-end software solution for automotive sales, parts and service businesses. ERIC DMS covers the full range of dealer activities-from marketing to sales and services. Aside from core business operations, DMS includes a full ERP (Enterprise Resource Planning) and completely automates and integrates back office operations all the way to financial reporting. It is a complete, end-to-end solution for vehicle dealers, distributors, and service providers. This software was made by Jupiter Systems Inc.(JSI) a Philippine-based IT company dedicated to delivering business solutions for medium to large companies globally. JSI is one of the most experienced software houses in the Philippines and was one of the pioneers of Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) in the country. The company has been delivering business solutions for the past 25 years

Customer Relationship Management (CRM) - ERIC CRM captures and tracks information for sales and marketing from walk-in prospects to sale, and even post sales appointment scheduling. All appointments are visible to the appropriate account manager- from sales to follow up calls and service.
An intelligent feature for grouping and filtering related inquiries from the same family, company, or individual ensures helps your sales people avoid redundant follow-ups on the same lead, as well as minimize duplicate pipeline reporting.

Vehicle Sales and Administration (VSA) - With VSA, dealers will be able to automate the business cycle of vehicle selling: customer quotations, sales ordering, vehicle allocation, invoicing, vehicle purchasing, and vehicle receiving. The system also keeps track of vehicle inventory.
Manage your inventory of vehicles. Powerful import shipment features keep track of shipping costs as you order from your manufacturer.

Service Management (SM) - The Service Management module records and controls the full range of operations when delivering service requests. This includes:Booking and creating repair orders (ROs), Approval and assignment of ROs to a mechanic, Parts and materials request, Mechanic's time monitoring, Final control quality checklisting, Service operations monitoring for efficiency and materials consumption
All of the above capabilities depend on ERIC SVM's integration with the core ERP modules for purchasing, crm, inventory, and accounts receivable.

REFLECTION:
I was amazed at this software, because it was a total all-in-one package. It had functions for the payroll, it had functions for the working hours of technicians, for the profile of the cars that they had serviced, the profiles of their customers, supply and material orders and requests, invoicing, and so many more. Also, the speaker was really very knowledgeable on his product, because he seems to know every aspect of it. He answered all the questions of the audience with full information and explanation. Then I imagined of the people that were behind this software. How long did they perfect this? How did they test it to meet the customer’s needs? How many made this software? Then I thought that I still had a long way to go before I could develop this kind of software.

The next technology update session I attended was the HP Thin Client Session. But first, what is a thin client, really?

A thin client (sometimes also called a lean or slim client) is a client computer or client software in client-server architecture networks which depends primarily on the central server for processing activities, and mainly focuses on conveying input and output between the user and the remote server. In contrast, a thick or fat client does as much processing as possible and passes only data for communications and storage to the server.

The thin client is a PC with less of everything. In designing a computer system, there are decisions to be made about processing, storage, software and user interface. With the reality of reliable high-speed networking, it is possible to change the location of any of these with respect to the others. A gigabit/s network is faster than a PCI bus and many hard drives, so each function can be in a different location. Choices will be made depending on the total cost, cost of operation, reliability, performance and usability of the system. The thin client is closely connected to the user interface.

REFLECTION:
Again, I was amazed by this technology that they called thin client, especially that this was the first time I ever heard of this. I was amazed by the effectiveness it brought in a company, organization or a school. Thin clients were cheaper, because if you compare the costs that you would have to spend with fat clients and thin clients, you would save more with the thin client in the long run. It has less energy consumption, requires minimal maintenance, so no extra cost for technicians, and it had immovable parts, so no damage is caused when you ship it or you transfer it to another location. It was also much easier to ship and handle so deliveries and transfers were no problem. I also enjoyed this session because I won a 2GB flash disk, in the Question and Answer portion of the session, haha!

I did not just attend the sessions, I also watched the products in the exhibit area. I had a glimpse of the new cameras Canon had to offer, which were more on the Digital SLR series. I also registered at the mysandbox.com booth there, were I got a free bag. And Blinque, a computer store, also had an exhibit there, which were more on their video cards. They put two heavy duty video cards in a PC, and the result was high quality graphics, fully detailed objects and an out of this world gaming experience! It’s like you’d never want to get up from your seat when you were playing in that set-up.

And there was this product that cleans your PC. It was clay-like, and it absorbed all the dirt that it held onto. I tried it on my cellphone casing, and it really worked! And the thin client was not only in the session, it was also there in the exhibit. Ng Khai Development Corp. was its distributor. I watched the HP Thin Client presentation in their booth, and was amazed again. Adobe and its Dreamweaver CS4 also had a booth there, next to Corel and its CorelDraw and AutoDesk’s CAD.

The COMDDAP ’09 for me was a success for I.T. enthusiasts here in Davao. I hope the next one will be as exciting, as or rather more exciting than this year’s.

sources:
my borrowed digicam

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thin_client
Back to top Go down
View user profile
basith_jumat

PostSubject: Re: COMDDAP 2009 Learnings/Reflections (Due: July 10, 2009)   Fri Jul 10, 2009 5:06 pm

[left]
Hi guys..! Hi sir..!

July 02, 2009, In the Apo View hotel the exhibition of Computer’s Manufacturer’s Distributor’s Dealers Association of the Philippines (COMMDAP) was held. Most of the technology company participates in this event they launch the new and the latest technology that we have now in our country, it’s a big opportunity for us student to be a part of this event because not only for exposing our selves to saw the latest technology but we gain knowledge through the free seminar that they were conduct. This seminar is open to all participants, visitors and students, for main reason that they can introduce their new product. I gain more knowledge in that seminar, especially to the session that I attended. The Jupiter System and the HP- thin clients.
First, the Jupiter System: Jupiter Systems is the leading worldwide supplier of visualization solutions for command and control applications. Jupiter's display wall processors are designed for continuous, 24x7 operation and are used in more than 6000 network operation centers, electric power generation and distribution control rooms, boardrooms, intelligent traffic control centers, 911 dispatch centers, financial operations, surveillance and security centers, and fixed and mobile military operations control centers around the world. In that day, Jupiter System Inc. introduced their new and upgradable system that can be applicable to most of the Operating System that we have been using now specifically the Windows XP, Windows Vista, Linux, Mac OS IX.. Their system is all about the system that can be use in the business company specifically to the dealer of automobile. It can also be applicable to the auto shop that repair or maintain car machines; it has a lot of features including the time of employee while they are repairing the car. And it will be take effect to their Daily Time Record (DTR). Obviously this System is communicating to the database but we amaze the advantages of their system it is really amazing and a good application software for the business group like rubberland or other company that are dealing with automobile business weather they are a dealer of a brand new car, surplus, or even in a parts of a car. It will be helpful because of the advantages that will give to the customer’s and to the owners of the business.
Second, the HP- Thin Clients was known with their flexibility and functionality with broad choice of models and operating systems.
• Genuine Windows® CE
Embedded SP2
• Linux operating system
• Simplified central management
•3-year limited warranty
HP-Thin client categories can meet your unique needs: high performance, mobile, and all-in-one.
High performance thin clients provide PC power with thin client benefits
• Mobile thin clients for portability and flexibility in and out of the office
• All-in-one thin clients for customer facing or space-constrained environments (ideal for kiosks, carts, front office).
Actually this HP-thin client are widely use because of their advantages compare to desktop client specially to the business who are using a lot of desktop client, but for the people who are using for home sake it’s better to an desktop client because in using a thin client you are using a server to connect to the thin client. In the long run you can save a lot energy fee and it is free from viruses because the data are store in the flash drive and not in the hard drive. For me as a student it’s better for me to use a desktop client because it so expensive if I will use this HP-thin client. Just imagine the worth of the server is php 45,000 and the thin client is php 20,000 to php 30,000, the server can accommodate sixty thin client compare to one thin client and you expend a big amount for just one thin client. For this reason we can evaluate the advantage of using a desktop client but if you are talking the number of user’s it’s better for you to use a thin client. Hp- thin client have a good software as we can see there two of it that I Understand is the key component of HP’s overall management strategy, First, HP Device Manager allows you to track, configure, upgrade, clone, and manage up to thousands of thin client devices with ease. Dramatically simplify device deployment, task automation, compliance management, and policy-based security management for greater business agility. Second, HP Image Manager are also part of hp- thin client software, one single software image with the operating system, applications, and drivers is streamed on-demand from your streaming appliance to your organization’s thin clients. Imagine the simplicity of managing just one software image, instead of dozens or hundreds of images, as with other deployment methods.
After the Seminar we sight seeing in the ballroom ground of Apo View Hotel on where the exhibition was held. They have a lot of a technology that really amaze me especially the neo laptop it only cost 17,000 and that’s for COMDDAP price only. Not only the hardware that they exhibit even the software like the anti-viruses, Application System for the business group was already their. The Copier Machine, like printer, photo copier and also the different type of biometric technology. After roaming around in the exhibit we captured some picture in the different booth.
I’m so thankful for this opportunities that was given to me by Computer’s Manufacturer’s Distributor’s Dealers Association of the Philippines (COMMDAP), because it open my mind that technology are really evolved by time to time. As an Information Technologies it easily for me to adopt this kind of changes of the technology because it is a part of my field. They help me also to develop my skill in observing things for me to appreciate more or to give a comment those thing that I’ve see even though I don’t like it. Now, I can say to my self that the improvement cause by the Computer’s Manufacturer’s Distributor’s Dealers Association of the Philippines (COMMDAP) is now a part of my progress in my field.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
sharlyn joy pines

PostSubject: Re: COMDDAP 2009 Learnings/Reflections (Due: July 10, 2009)   Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:34 pm

A GLIMPSE from COMDDAP
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Marren Pequiro

PostSubject: Re: COMDDAP 2009 Learnings/Reflections (Due: July 10, 2009)   Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:26 pm

COMMDAP 2009

Computer Manufacturers Distributors and Dealers Association of the Philippines (COMDDAP) have stage their annual event in Apo View Hotel Davao last July 2 – 4, 2009. COMDDAP is an association of the country's top information technology businesses. Its primary objective is to promote the sustainable development of the of the country's information technology industry through voluntary collaboration of its member companies. It is the goal of COMDDAP to be able to provide its members general views and updates from different sectors - private and government, and highly regarded individuals to further uplift the morale and knowledge of its organization. The annual COMDDAP endeavor encourages its participants to launch their products and services, as well as hold seminars with a variety of topics in the areas of technology, trends, applications, and information management.

Actually, COMMDAP is doesn’t new to me because we have already experienced going to their event two years ago during our second year in college. Honestly, it was really a remarkable experienced since it was held at the Davao Convention. Like this year, a lot of Computer Manufacturers and other industries have joined and presented their latest innovations. We also met a lot of people. Not just ordinary but big bosses of some companies.

This year I’ve been informed of COMMDAP by some streamers around the Quirino street of Davao City. But this time it will be held on one of the best hotel in the city, the Apo View Hotel Davao. At first thought, this event will be having an admission fee and obviously we cannot afford it. But later this month, Sir RSG have posted it in our group that we are encouraged to join the said event. A lot of us have been confused on how to register since the sessions had limited seats only. Eventually, all of un interested students, have successfully registered to our chosen schedules. I’ve chose to register on July 2, 2009 with the following sessions: The ERIC Dealer Management System - Jupiter Systems, Inc., The HP Thin Client - Nexus Technologies, Inc. and Open Source For Business Applications - Spinweb Productions, Inc.

July 2 came and all of us were very excited. It’s not just that about the COMMDAP, but some of us were enthuse for this is the first time they would enter the Apo View Hotel Davao. Funny but true. Anyways, when we arrive there, we went to the registration booth and given a student registered sticker. As I saw the Grand Ballroom, the place were filled with different latest technology. Various booths with their assorted offering to the public are all over the place. We have took pictures in every booths. Captured everything that presented to us for free. Almost USEPIANS are in the crowd, falling in line on some booths that giving away freebies. One of that is the sandbox.com.ph. where we registered ourselves and got free sling and bags.
When 1pm came, we headed toward the Vanda function room where the first session that afternoon will be held. But we still waited for a while since the speaker for the Tech Talk we have registered that time is not around. Around 1:30 pm The ERIC Dealer Management System - Jupiter Systems, Inc. Tech Talk started. The speaker have prepared a presentation where he imparted a lot of their management features and services. As he have said, The ERIC Dealer Management System (DMS) is an end-to-end software solution for automotive sales parts and service businesses. ERIC DMS covers full range of dealer activities for Customer prospecting and vehicle services. Honestly, I’m really sleepy with the first session. It’s not that the speaker doesn’t give us interesting inputs, but maybe because we cannot really relate ourselves to his presentation. On the first place, it talk about cars and we don’t have that now either. Though, we have learned new things and hoping that someday we could purchase some systems to their company and used it for our business someday.

After that, it was The HP Thin Client - Nexus Technologies, Inc have then stage their latest merchandise to us. We have been awaken since the speaker talk so fast and lively. Then he began presenting the HP Thin Client to us. Actually, it is my first time to know about HP Thin Client. As he introduces to us, HP Thin Client have definitely much advantages to the other computing models. As I remembered, HP Thin Client typically runs on Linux, Windows CE and Windows Xpe. HP Thin Client offers higher level on data security when it comes to the hardware and software. Also higher level of reliability. It is a computer device without a Hard Drives, CD-ROMs and floppy disks. With the HP thin client computing model, your vulnerability to virus attack on the thin client system is significantly less than a standard Windows PC. This means that thin client users will experience significantly less downtime due to security vulnerabilities than PC users. In addition, since no user data resides on a thin client, there is no risk of user data loss on the thin client. Finally, if a thin client’s image is compromised or corrupted, recovery time is typically measured in minutes instead of hours.

Additionally, the HP thin client computing model utilizes PC blades and/or servers located in a data center. You can protect and monitor centrally-managed, data center resources more easily with antivirus and firewall tools. You can correct and recover compromised thin client resources faster and cheaper than distributed PC resources. In the event of a virus attack or other security issue, the HP thin client computing model offers significantly shorter recovery time when contrasted with the traditional desktop model. If a thin client’s image is compromised or corrupted, recovery time is typically measured in minutes instead of hours. Recovery usually involves a power cycle (1 minute), patch (5 minutes), or re-image (15 minutes) of the system. This is substantially less time than the typical two hours it takes to re-image a PC or the multiple hours that you can spend rebuilding and recovering a user’s data and environment. As HP Thin clients have been explained to us, everyone have been amazed brought by this innovation. Though HP Thin Client has a Thin Design., still offered powerful performance and flexible configurations.

But what really give more thrill to us that moment is the freebies and prizes awaiting for us. Microsoft T- shirt I guess, optical mouse, three 2Gb USB flash drives and an 8Gb USB Flash drive. Then after the presentation, questions from them have been thrown to the audience who were very eager to win that time. Fortunately, almost all of the prizes have been won by the USEPIANS.

The last Tech Talk we had is about the Open Source For Business Applications - Spinweb Productions, Inc. Honestly, I was not able to start the Tech Talk since we’ve been having a good time roaming around the Grand Ballroom. Taking pictures or even availing the free internet access that instance. But still we are able to attend the last part and got even a chocolate as a prize even if I’m not included in the winners. Lolz
To sum it all, the whole COMMDAP experience is a remarkable one. There are a lot of things imparted to us by the different speakers. Who heartily shared their knowledge to us and introduces us to the latest innovations the world has to offer.

References:
http://www.nexusgroup.com.ph/
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://emzpequiro.blogspot.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: COMDDAP 2009 Learnings/Reflections (Due: July 10, 2009)   

Back to top Go down

COMDDAP 2009 Learnings/Reflections (Due: July 10, 2009)
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next