HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Assignment 1 (Due: June 25, 2009, before 01:00pm)

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
eyesee

PostSubject: Assignment 1 (Due: June 25, 2009, before 01:00pm)   Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:28 am

Identify a local organization(s) and discuss some of their best practices in IT/IS ... this should be well-supported with any evidences ....(1000 words)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
alma cabase

PostSubject: Re: Assignment 1 (Due: June 25, 2009, before 01:00pm)   Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:10 pm

Company Profile:

Founded on November 28, 1928, Philippine Long Distance Company (PLDT) is the leading telecommunications provider in the Philippines. Through its three principal business groups - fixed line, wireless, and information and communication technology - PLDT offers the largest and most diversified range of telecommunications services across the Philippines’ most extensive fiber optic backbone and fixed line, cellular and satellite networks.

PLDT is listed on the Philippine Stock Exchange (PSE:TEL) and its American Depositary Shares are listed on the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE:PHI). PLDT has one of the largest market capitalizations among Philippine-listed companies.

Mission Statement:

PLDT will be the preferred full service provider of voice, video and data at the most attractive levels of price, service quality, content and coverage, thereby bringing maximum benefit to the Company\'s stakeholders.

After reading articles about my subject company in terms of their developments in IT infrastructure these are the good points that I observed.

1. Online Recruitment -They use technology as a tool to widen their scope in terms of discovering future manpower assets in their company. They have there own site where interested applicants can submit online personal specifications. This may be a simple strategy but its effect to the future position holders of their company depends on it greatly. Here is the website link. <click me>

2.Online Service Application -We all know that PLDT offers a lot of services, from e-commerce to broadband internet services. And inquiring and even applying for these services are available in their main site. This is quite convenient for the people interested about their offers. And subsequently as they launched their site, a noticeable growth in sales came to place. <INCREASE IN SALES 2008>

3. Online Security -As PLDT opened their doors to the internet world, the main concern of the users will always be security. They are offering online payments and without strong security measures this would impose a great risk. But this problem was addressed with great ease. Look at this please. <click me>

4. Fast IT development -For me, this is the best asset in their IT plan. As I read on succeeding online news, I noticed that they have system developments and upgrades every less than two months. And I\'m not referring to simple upgrades, I am pointing to Philippine-wide scope. Like recently, they are upgrading their lines through nationwide ATM(Asynchronous Transfer Mode) multi-service technology. And after reading it, I\'m amazed about the different companies that are also involved which only proves that they play a big role in local IT business. <PLDT PUMPS UP NETWORK>

5.Advance IT Infrasructure-As I read the articles about PLDT’s achievements and growth. I could say that they should have had a robust and adaptive IS plan for them to go this far. And I discovered in my readings that their success is mainly attributed to their constant development in terms of IT infrastructure. Let’s put it in this scenario. You want to go on a trip 30 miles away from home and you want to be there within two hours. You have your goal but you do not have a car or a motorcycle, what you have is only a bike which could barely run up to 10 km/h. With these given facts, you are left with only one possible option. And that is to commute on a bus. This scenario implies that giving a wide variety of solutions o a certain problem requires the proper elements. And in order o have the best solution you must have the best tools to start with. This means that the solution of a problem has direct relation to what you will be going o use to solve it. This is evident to the upgrades that PLDT did in the past years until now. Currently, they are upgrading their IT infrastructure, where their network cables will be upgraded to high-speed datagrade facilities that will greatly increase images, sound, video, and fie sharing throughout their network. With continuous upgrade in their infrastructure PLDT will eventually grow continuously. This is the article about their recent upgrade. <cick me>

Company Profile:

The Group\'s principal activities providing telecommunication services and equipment, and developing telecommunication infrastructure. The Group\'s operations are carried out through two divisions. Wireless Communication business represents cellular telecommunications services that allow subscribers to make and receive local, domestic long distance and international long distance calls to and from any place with the coverage area. Wireline Communications represents fixed line telecommunications services, which offer subscribers, local, domestic long distance and international long distance services in addition to a number of various services such as leased lines, VSAT, telex, international-packet switching, broadband and internet services.

Mission:

Globe is one of the leading telecommunications service providers in the Philippines. The Company\'s mission is to \"enrich lives through ease and relevance\" by simplifying and removing obstacles in communication technology; that way, customers can be brought closer to what matters to them most.

In keeping with its vision to provide broadband customers with a delightful and hassle-free Internet experience, the Company\'s Globe Broadband subsidiary recently introduced Click Fix, a free and easy-to-use tool that will empower subscribers to manage their Internet connection quickly and simply.

After reading some articles, news and visiting their sites. I have observed these good points about their IS.

1.Continuous Development -I read several recent articles about Globe Telecom improving their IT infrastructure. The recent is the implementation of WiMax through their broadband services. To go with this improvement Globe had the services of Intel for hardware and technical support. The goal of this project is to improve and widen the area of subscription coverage of broadband here in the Philippines. \"The value proposition of 802.16e WiMAX is the Internet as it was meant to be: open, fast and mobile,\" said Ricky Banaag, country manager, sales and marketing, Intel Philippines. For further readings. <click me>

2.Maximizing the Benefits of IT Resources-As I observed, Globe maximized the benefits of their IT components and is very noticeable especially in their site. They have a couple of sites and is intended to cater a specific service for each. It also have the necessary components that is usually found in company sites like costumer support, how to contact them, about their company, and others.
Their site here. <click me>

Very Happy Very Happy

Last edited by alma cabase on Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Maria Theresa F. Rulete

PostSubject: Reflections on My Chosen Company - Mynd Consulting   Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:33 pm

deleted... Very Happy

Last edited by tere_etelur on Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:00 pm; edited 4 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
vanessa may caneda

PostSubject: Assignment 1 (Local Organization)   Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:58 pm

• Globe Telecommunications bounce
One of the local organization i've searched that practices IT/IS in their company is Globe Telecommunications.

Globe Telecom is the leading provider of wireless communications,wire-line voice communications, data transmission, and domestic and international long distance communication service for the
Philippines.

It also aims to be an organization that anticipates and responds to global market trends in telecommunications, while still remaining focused on customer satisfaction.They believed that their strategy will allow the company to grow and prosper. To strengthen this strategy and increase its competitive advantage,they empower its workforce with state-of-the-art IT tools and networking applications. Because of the increasing growth of globe's employees, it somewhat reflects their growth in business volumes and market shares. With that,new applications will be applied soon such as Integrated Billing System, Imaging Help Desk, HR applications, and videoconferencing that will surely help Globe's goal of using technology, especially for a high performance network as a foundation to achieving high growth and return on investment.

The new developments were the driving factors for Globe to design and upgrade its existing network. This upgrade is meant to address the anticipated increase in network traffic and the rise of network utilization. Globe's business processes become more dependent on its enterprise network. Because of that, Globe's MIS (Management Information System) saw the need to evolve their current network into a scalable, future-proof, fault-tolerant and high-performance Intranet. Globe was able to transform its existing network without disturbing the work and productivity of its existing users.

Globe's Internet data center (IDC) contains many Cisco hardware devices including high-end Internet routers and Cisco Catalyst® 6500 and 3550 Series switches. The new IDC will support some 400 end users, and there are plans to add two similar data centers to support future growth. They evaluated many options and asked WeSolv Open Computing Inc., the networking subsidiary of FPI, to design, supply and implement a solution based on Cisco's Catalyst 5500 Layer 3 switches and Fast EtherChannel technology. WeSolv's proposed network equipment is highly scalable which means that Globe's new network can handle the anticipated growth rate oper year and the anticipated growth in the number of users as well as the applications to be rolled out. WeSolv's network is designed to be fault-tolerant which is prepared to tolerate a number of hardware failures and still continue to operate. With WeSolv, Globe Telecom will be able to transform its existing network without disturbing the work and productivity of its existing users. The network was also future-proof to easily support ATM, Gigabit Ethernet and Gigabit EtherChannel
to
speed up exchange of information. Aside from allowing Globe employees
to utilize existing applications as well as new bandwidth - intensive
ones, the new network will help speed up the
exchange of vital information to all levels with in the company.

Globe Telecom recognized the need to strengthen its customer service strategy by means of implementing an effective Call Center using proven IVR (Interactive Voice Response) technology that will help them retain and win more loyal customers which for me is their best practice. This is in line with Globe Telecom's mission of not just delivering phone lines but also providing first-class quality and personalized service driven by excellence and innovation. Globe Telecom needed a system that is very flexible to manage at any given time.

These Systems mentioned above are the following:

• Automated Billing Inquiry- allows the customers instant access to their current and
    previous balance that will be spoken to them upon validation of certain information.

• Fax on Demand- provides the client an option to receive a fax of their
    billing information right after requesting it and not several days after the request.

• Change of Easy Access Code
  • Automated PIN Unblocking Key (PUK)

• Audiotext- allows the customer access to information about Globe Telecom's other products and services.
  • Transfer to a live Customer Service Representative
With this systems, Globe Telecom automatically added number of agents that could handle those simple inquiries without adding addtional manpower. This frees up the Customer Service Representatives to entertain more complex and demanding cases. With the IVRS (Interactive Voice Response System), customer support is available 24 hours a day and 7 days a week. This translates to better customer service levels at minimal cost. Through IVRS, Globe Telecom hopes to provide more automated services, such as activation/deactivation of subscription features such as SMS (text messaging), voice mail, IDD, NDD, automated requests for change of subscription plan, credit limit, or number.

Networking is indeed one of the best foundation in today's IT industry. It's really a big help to those organizations from small to a large corporations in achieving their certain goals.

• Emcor Davao
EMCOR
is a 100% Filipino-owned retail business corporation specializing in
appliances, furniture, IT products, motorcycles, and money transfer
through its network of specialty chain stores in the Visayas, Mindanao,
and Palawan areas. With the launching of our online store, EMCOR will
now be making its presence known in the online industry and promote its
company’s goals and vision to the

global community.

• Cerveo Computer Systems
Cerveo
provides successful business solutions based on thebest OPEN SOURCE
Technologies available. They provide consultancy and actual project
implementation on areas of Content Management System CMS, Customer
Relationship Management CRM Sytem , Search Engine

Optimization SEO, Hotel Management Systems, and University Online Enrolment System.

They
adapt proven methodologies on software development as well continue to
innovate on making our solutions better. Inspired by Open Source, they
already developed proven solutions to satisfied their clients worldwide.

The Cerveo Advantage:

• Continued innovation
  • Proven methodology
  • Faster time to market
  • Reasonable cost
Leveraging on Open Source Frameworks/Tools

• Zend Framework
  • Joomla/Mambo - Content Management System
  • Drupal - Content Management System
  • CodeIgniter - PHP Framework based on Ruby On Rails
  • SugarCRM - Customer Relationship Management Software
  • OsCommerce - eCommerce
  • Wordpress - Blogging Software
  • Prototype - Rich Internet (RIA) Application Framework
  • Subversion - Version Management System

• APEX IT Innovators
APEX
IT Innovators (APEX) is an outsourcing firm company that specializes in
Website Design and Development. It was founded and is operated by young
but experienced IT professionals.

APEX, based in Davao City, Philippines.

APEX
offers a wide range of services such as Desktop Publishing, Customized
Online Application Development, and Website Design and Development.
APEX has already built a strong presence in its field. Its reputation
for delivering the finest services and products
stems from

its attitude of giving outmost importance and consideration for their
clients' insight before, during and even after a project is
implemented. APEX, stands by every product it creates and every service
it provides. It has a strict quality control system that ensures it
only provides the best.

• Digital Interface
Digital Interface was started by a group of college buddies whose common interest was (and
continues to be) computers. It was formally organized into a company in August of 1984.

The
company has since grown to become a major player in the computer
industry in Southern Philippines. Serving information technology needs,
its satisfied customers include multinational
companies, government, and small and medium sized businesses. The company's strength lies in

its
ability to deliver premium quality products at reasonable prices backed
by professional customer support. This is made possible by careful
attention to product evaluation and research, a
dedication to technical excellence and customer support and a strong partnership with reputable
pc brands and suppliers.

Digital Interface offers services,here are some:

• Hardware
    and Software repair services- repair all types of computer equipment
    and peripherals such as printers of all types, engineering plotters,
    UPS and AVR , POS terminals, and office equipment such as fax machines
    and telephone systems.

• LAN Services:
    Cabling and Configuration- provide free consultation for proper
    equipment selection, product compatibility, cable layout, and provide
    free estimates for some networking needs.
    flower
References:
www.cisco.com
www.globe.com.ph
http://www.fujitsu.com/ph/casestudies/globe-telecom-3.html
http://www.fujitsu.com/ph/casestudies/globe-telecom-4.html
http://www.cerveo.com/
www.apexinnovators.com
http://www.digitalinterface.com.ph

Last edited by vanessa may caneda on Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:15 pm; edited 21 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Shiela Marie P. Nara

PostSubject: Good eve sir...about MIS Group   Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:50 pm

Good evening Sir, I wasn’t able to send a mail in the yahoo groups of MIS because I am not yet invited. I hope that you will consider if I may post it here.

As part of our assignment, herewith are the lists of our chosen local organizations or companies. These are subject for your approval. Hope you will approve at least one company. Thank You. God Bless.

1.)
Name : LBC Express, Inc. (Bajada) Address : Doors 1 & 2 Argaco Bldg., JP Laurel Ave., Bajada, Davao City Contact Nos. : (082) 221-4210 Email : dvo01@teamlbc.com.ph URL : www.lbcexpress.com Features : Contact Person: Celly Silo
COMPANY PROFILE
LBC Express Inc. is the Filipino household's by-word for dependable 24-hour air cargo delivery service in the country.
Established in the 1950's, LBC was the first to introduce 24-hour air cargo delivery service which also included money transfer services offered for delivery anywhere in the Philippines.
From it's products for domestic transactions which include the Airvelop, Airpouch, Transpack and Pesopak, and products for international transactions such as Exvelop, the Expage Pak and the X-Pouch to its Pre-need products such as the Guaranteed Pension Fund (GPF) and the Guaranteed Academic Fund (GAF), LBC is rapidly accelerating towards the attainment of its Year 2020 vision that would reach out to the Filipino community.
Today, LBC Express Inc. is recognized nationwide through its highly visible red and white company colors, which dominates its outlets, delivery vehicles and the growing Team LBC network. LBC boasts of its 511 branches, covering practically every city and municipality of the country. With its people as its primary assets, this team of service-oriented individuals constantly advances on their skills to ensure the quality of service that LBC provides.
In the next years to come, LBC Express Inc. continues to make its presence and commitment felt in the Filipino community through its unparalled service of being the one and only "Hari ng Padala."

2.)
Name : JRS Express (CM Recto) Address : Regina Complex, CM Recto Ave., Davao City Contact Nos. : (082) 305-3918 Email : URL : www.jrs-express.com Features : Contact Person: Virgilio Galicia
COMPANY PROFILE
The JRS BUSINESS CORPORATION was organized by its original incorporators and duly registered with the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) on the 16th of June 1960. It was granted a franchise by the defunct Congress in 1961 under Republic Act #3260 to conduct a messenger and delivery express service for a period of fifty (50) years
In the same year of 1961, the company was acquired by the late Dr. Jaime L. Claparols who reorganized the company, infused fresh capital and technical Know-how. Under the leadership of the late Dr. Jaime L. Claparols, who served as chairman and President from that time on until his untimely demise in December, 1975, the company grew steadily through the years. By that time, the company had expanded its scope of operations to include 130 branches nationwide to meet the rising demands of its clientele. In 1971,the JRS BUSINESS CORPORATION expanded its business operations to include air freight forwarding. It was granted a letter of authority to engage in the business of domestic air freight forwarder by the Civil Aeronautics Board (CAB). This makes the JRS BUSINESS CORPORATION as one of the few companies with dual authority. With the promulgation of PD # 240 in 1973, JRS BUSINESS CORPORATION was granted an authority to operate Express and/ or Messenger Delivery Service by the Post master General. In 1980, JRS BUSINESS CORPORATION adopted and registered the trade name "JRS Express" for its use in order to place emphasis and stress its capability of effecting next-day delivery of express mail matters. Thereafter, in order to cope up with the requirements of its growing clientele, the JRS BUSINESS CORPORATION further expanded its service to the international market. The Civil Aeronautical Board (CAB) granted it authority to operate International Air Freight Forwarder in 1982. To date, the JRS BUSINESS CORPORATION (JRS Express) from its humble beginning has risen, modesty aside, to an outstanding messengerial services company providing employment to about 1,000 employees and with over 200 branches nationwide.

3.)
Davao Light & Power Company
www.davaolight.com and Corporate Communications Office 2 2 9 - 3 5 7 2 (DLPC)
COMPANY PROFILE
Davao Light and Power Company is the third largest privately-owned electric utility in the Philippines. It holds the franchise for distributing electric power to Davao City, the largest city in the world in terms of land area, as well as Panabo City and the municipalities of Carmen, Dujali, and Sto. Tomas in Davao del Norte. On September 29, 2000, the franchise was renewed for another 25 years by virtue of Republic Act 8960.
In 2007, the company sold 1.333 billion kilowatt-hours to 247,341 customers with a peak demand of 245 megawatts (MW). Among the country’s most efficiently run power utilities, its systems loss rate of 8.13% is well below the government mandated cap of 9.50%.
Davao Light maintains a 53.8 MW standby diesel power plant with a capability of 40 MW for sustained operations. As needed, it is activated to stabilize voltage as well as augment the power supply of its primary generating sources. It makes use of a fully functional automated mapping and facilities management (AM/FM) system to track the location of electric distribution assets in its franchise. Also in place is a Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition (SCADA) system, a facility that allows remote real-time data gathering and control of equipment in all power substations.
High-end computers, sophisticated software, and other devices are being used to speed up meter reading, streamline billing, provide efficient and prompt response to customer inquiries, generate management information, and analyze electrical grid information.
Special attention has been devoted to improving Davao Light’s service standards. Innovative re-engineering efforts have cut down service cycle times. Outsourcing of tasks and reallocating manpower and other resources has allowed the utility to improve productivity while keeping costs relatively stable. Current efforts focus on teamwork, service excellence, professionalism, and innovation in preparation for a deregulated and competitive environment.
Now and in the future, Davao Light is committed to deliver reliable and efficient service at reasonable rates.

4.)
Name : Carnation Travel and Tours Address : B4 Plaza de Luisa Bldg., Magsaysay Ave., Davao City Contact Nos. : (082) 300-0668 / 226-8587 Email : URL : www.carnationtravel.com Features :
Welcome, MABUHAY (long live) !!!

Carnation Travel and Tours Corporation (CTTC) is a Philippine based licensed travel and tour agency accredited by the Republic of the Philippines Department of Tourism (DOT) and a member of the National Association of Independent Travel Agencies Phils., Inc. (NAITAS). This was conceptualized in May of 1999.

Company Vision

We are in vision to be one of the best Travel Agency in the country that provide excellent services in all your travel needs, and give our travelers the art of traveling in style where comfort, pleasure and satisfaction are not only priorities but a requirement.

Mission Statement

We are committed to provide our clients with perfectly designed tour packages that they've dreamed about. We are dedicated to give our travelers personal service, well planned itineraries and competitive rates.

We aim to provide also our employees a rewarding quality career opportunities for professional advancement and personnal improvement for better social status.
For more information, please contact |

Ann Margaret D. San Antonio | Executive Vice President
Email | ann@carnationtravel.com
DAVAO| B4 Plaza de Luisa Building, Magsaysay Avenue, Davao City, Philippines
Telephone No. | +6382.300.0668 | +6382.226.8587
Telefax No. | +638.2227.4879

5.)
Name : Eagle Express Lines, Inc. Address : Door 202 R. Eligio Bldg., Old Airport Road, Sasa, Davao City Contact Nos. : (082) 235-2923 / Fax: 235-2924 Email : csmartin@eaglegroup.com.ph, cbmanubag@eaglegroup.com.ph URL : www.eaglegroup.com.ph Features : Contact Persons: Jun Martin - Branch Manager / Cherry Ann Manubag - Operations Supervisor
COMPANY PROFILE
EAGLE EXPRESS LINES, INC. was organized and registered with the Securities and Exchange Commission on May 15, 1987 now with principal office located at Cargo Village Complex, Building A, Ninoy Aquino Avenue, Parañaque City, Philippines.
EAGLE EXPRESS, is composed of young and aggressive Filipino incorporators who have the financial capabilities and technical know-how in the business. For more than two decades of operations, EAGLE EXPRESS now holds branch offices in export oriented cities and towns in the Philippines while maintaining its Head Office right at the heart of Metro Manila. These branch offices are in Cebu, Zamboanga City, Pampanga, (Subic and Clark), Cavite, `Davao City and General Santos City.
The company which originally started with 7, all of whom were stockholders has now a total manpower complement of more than 150 personnel who came from the best breed of personnel from the shipping and forwarding industry. Under the employment of EAGLE EXPRESS are the best Account Executives who handle its Marketing Activities professionally and the most experienced Operations Personnel on cargo handling and control. Our people combined with our expertise together make EAGLE EXPRESS the best in the industry.
EAGLE EXPRESS is accredited by major Export Processing Zones in the Philippines such as the Mactan Export Processing Zones in Cebu, Bataan Export Processing Zone, Cavite Export Processing Zone, First Cavite Industrial Estates, Subic and Clark Free Ports, Laguna Technopark Inc., Light Industry & Science Parks, Laguna International Industrial Park and First Philippine Industrial Park, Carmelray Industrial Parks and Calamba Premiere Industrial Park which are also the most progressive Export Processing Zones in the Philippines.
Under the umbrella of EAGLE EXPRESS GROUP is EAGLE EXPRESS AIR which is licensed by the Philippine Civil Aeronautics Board (CAB) to engage in the business of International Airfreight Forwarding. Consequently, EAGLE EXPRESS AIR is accredited by the International Air Transportation Association (IATA) as cargo agent since 1991.
EAGLE EXPRESS, is better known as the “THE ONE-STOP TRANSPORTATION COMPANY” being currently engaged in the business of diversified Freight Forwarding Operations. EAGLE EXPRESS presently operates as a Multimodal Transport Operator and provides at the same time a comprehensive “Logistical and Information Technology Support” to all profit centers of the organization, After more than two decades of total service, we continue to live up to this name – “once a customer steps into the office, he does not have to look for support services to achieve his desired objective, be it import or export, seafreight, airfreight or combined sea/air.”

6.)
Name : Exel Logistics Management Philippines Address : Door 1 Fernandez Bldg., Airport Road, Sasa, Davao City Contact Nos. : (082) 235-2205 Email : www.exel.com Features : DHL Global Forwarding Office

www.exel.com

COMPANY PROFILE
About Exel

Solving problems. Pushing boundaries. Creating solutions. It's what we've been doing for 30 years—and what continues to make us different every day. Learn more about Exel's history and our industry leadership in the United States, Canada, and Latin America.
What We Believe

Our team shares a set of values, and works hard every day to be the first choice for our customers around the world. The goods and materials we put into motion are critically important to thriving economies. We respect and carefully follow the strictest guidelines and regulations that promote safe and ethical practices.
Exel is the Americas leader in contract logistics and supply chain management. We provide customer-focused solutions to the automotive, chemical, consumer, industrial, life sciences, retail, and technology industries. Our innovative contract logistics and supply chain solutions—from demand planning to retail home delivery—make our customers more efficient, more profitable, and more competitive.

(NOTE: It's not my final post. I suppose to delete it but I can't...jeje.
My mistake is not just to edit this one for my final post but it's already late since I already have the new post for the final one.MY APOLOGY)

Very Happy

Last edited by Shiela Marie P. Nara on Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:10 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : to show the note since the post cant be deleted)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
eyesee

PostSubject: REMINDERS   Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:26 pm

please be reminded that you need to seek approval of your prospective companies/organization before posting your assignment .. and pls dont forget your sources of information for proper validation ...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ida Karla Duguran

PostSubject: Re: Assignment 1 (Due: June 25, 2009, before 01:00pm)   Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:19 am

1. Concentrix Technologies, Inc.

Description:
Concentrix Technologies Inc. (CTI) is a collaborative network of worldwide information technology providers and distributors, merging products and services to provide businesses a wide array of IT and outsourcing solutions. Concentrix Technologies Inc. have partners worldwide providing a global mix of products and services that let us expand beyond local boundaries and service wider markets globally.

Concentrix Technologies Inc. carries a very comprehensive portfolio to meet your IT and outsourcing needs. It provides systems integration, call center solutions, value added services like web hosting and web site development, short-messaging-system (SMS) packages, VoIP, outsourcing professional services and various internet access products to our wide range of customers.

Its team leverages on the combined IP based technical experience, pro-active support professionals and research and development to meet evolving business needs. This convergence has allowed us to introduce continuous improvement and quality products and services that are not only practical in application and cost-effective but are still up-to-date with the latest technology and practices.

2. SUREcruit Services Inc.

SUREcruit Services Inc. a total HR solution partners specializing in Call Center Recruitment, training and development. We provide our Clients with winning talents who are Call Center ready, competitive, confident and customer service oriented.

The years of actual experience in Human Resource Management, particularly in the contact center industry, have allowed us to understand the opportunity to build upon our expertise and to implement and manage highly successful recruitment programs, sourcing strategies, and human resource best practices for our clients.

3. APEX IT Innovators

APEX IT Innovators (APEX) is an outsourcing firm company that specializes in Website Design and Development. It was founded and is operated by young but experienced IT professionals. APEX, based in Davao City, Philippines, opened its doors on May 2006 and has been constantly busy not only catering to clients' needs, but also developing innovative online applications.

APEX offers a wide range of services such as Desktop Publishing, Customized Online Application Development, and Website Design and Development. APEX has already built a strong presence in its field. Its reputation for delivering the finest services and products stems from its attitude of giving outmost importance and consideration for their clients' insight before, during and even after a project is implemented. APEX, stands by every product it creates and every service it provides. It has a strict quality control system that ensures it only provides the best.

Services:

Website Applications Programming

APEX develops website applications so that companies can easily interact with their clients. Customized website applications such as Online Registration Forms and Online Feedback Forms allow website owners to easily communicate and respond to the needs of their visitors.

Website Maintenance

APEX provides website maintenance service that is designed to suit the goals of the website owner. It may include but is not limited to content management and continuous search engine optimization.

4. The Bureau of Fisheries and Aquatic Resources (BFAR)

The Bureau of Fisheries and Aquatic Resources (BFAR) is the government agency responsible for the development, improvement, management and conservation of the country's fisheries and aquatic resources. The bureau is under the Department of Agriculture.

In order to facilitate the collection, processing, and reporting of fisheries-related data and information, together with the Fisheries Information Management Center(FIMC), they designed The Philippine Fisheries Information System (PhilFIS) which is a network of distributed information systems.

PhilFIS contains data and information that can be broadly categorized into three components namely, Costal Resource, Fisheries Statistics, Fisheries Licensing and is also composed of various databases.

PhilFIS provides all the following services:

e-Cabinet

e-Cabinet is an electronic data exchange system where files that are too large to be handled by the BFAR e-mail service can be transmitted. Divisions and regional offices have 100 MB of file storage space. The system is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week (24/7), and can be accessed on any computer that is connected to the Internet, using a standard Internet browser.

Document Database

The Document Database is a digital repository of publications and documents on fisheries studies, laws, and policy research in the Philippines.

Export and Quality Control System

The Fisheries Export and Quality Control System (FEQCS) is designed to assist the Fish Inspection and Quality Assurance Section (FIQAS), formerly the Fish Inspection and Quality Control Section (FIQCS), in processing health certification and accreditation of fisheries facilities. The development and implementation of an information system will assist the national government in improving and sustaining food safety through accreditation and monitoring of fisheries facilities, health certification of fish and fishery products, and the construction of an intelligent data warehouse.

The FEQCS maintains a database of fisheries facilities, exporters, importers, accredited laboratories, applications for facilities accreditation, official documents, deficiency and plant inspection rating schemes, audit reports, and applications for health certificates. The system assists the team of evaluators in conducting routine monitoring procedures for facilities by evaluating provided data and cross-referencing these with established criteria. It shall provide the automated determination of the facility's class rating, which determines the frequency of inspection required over a period of time.

The system addresses proximity issues of all facilities across the country by implementing Internet-based services to allow remote data population, cross-referencing, and transaction processing. It also addresses authentication issues of export and import papers through data exchange facilities. With this, for example, a health certificate issued for exporting fresh tuna to any destination in Europe or Asia can be authenticated and posted through a secure web-based transaction.

Commercial Fisheries Licensing System

The Commercial Fisheries Licensing System deals with managing the commercial licensing process. It includes registration and licensing modules for vessels and gears, as well as a violations module, which tracks any violations that are relevant to the licensing process.

CFLS assists the Bureau of Fisheries and Aquatic Resources - Fishery Regulatory and Quarantine Division in regulating the commercial fisheries sector, fisheries resource management, and fisheries statistics. It accommodates registration of fishers and vessels, records license data on fishing activities, vessels, gear types, and violations, and generates licensing reports.

This system is a tool to facilitate the control and regulation of fishing.

Map Database

The Map Database aims to generate geographic graphical representations of fisheries and socio-economic profiles of 18 bays, including management interventions, resource maps, and other biophysical characteristics.

The Map Database contains geo-corrected time-series map images of the 18 Fisheries Resource Management Project (FRMP) bays. It utilizes the Geographic Information System (GIS) and Remote Sensing technology in the interpretation and analyses of the 1989 and 1999 LandSat TM 7+ and HRV SPOT satellite images data. It allows end-users to create and configure thematic maps to better represent composite elements of a geographical area for study.

Geographic Information System

The Geographic Information System (GIS) is a technology that manages, analyzes, and disseminates geographic knowledge. It is a tool to view and analyze data from a geographic perspective. It establishes relationships between geographic locations and other information, such as those between people and addresses, buildings and parcels, and streets in a network. The GIS is implemented through ArcIMS (Internet Map Server), which enables the delivery of geograpahic data through the Internet.

Designing and implementing information system is really a big help on every organization and company.

Source:
http://www.callcenterdirectory.net/
http://www.surecruit.net/surecruit3.swf
http://www.apexinnovators.com/
http://bfar.da.gov.ph/

Last edited by Ida Karla Duguran on Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:36 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Marlie E. Sisneros

PostSubject: All about Assignment 1   Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:39 am

Sir?
My assignment 1 is in my Blog, kindly Visit my blog nalang sir.
Sir, i have question, what if dili xa kaabot og 1000 words sir?
dawaton nimu Sir?
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://msisneros.blogspot.com/
juvilynconsejo

PostSubject: my local organization   Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:49 am

The LBC, express inc. company is what i am going to discussed with.

LBC Express Inc. is the Filipino household's by-word for dependable 24-hour air cargo delivery service in the country. Established in the 1950's, LBC was the first to introduce 24-hour air cargo delivery service which also included money transfer services offered for delivery anywhere in the Philippines. Today, LBC Express Inc. is recognized nationwide through its highly visible red and white company colors, which dominates its outlets, delivery vehicles and the growing Team LBC network. LBC boasts of its 511 branches, covering practically every city and municipality of the country. With its people as its primary assets, this team of service-oriented individuals constantly advances on their skills to ensure the quality of service that LBC provides. In the next years to come, LBC Express Inc. continues to make its presence and commitment felt in the Filipino community through its unparallel service of being the one and only "Hari ng Padala."

For the services of the LBC, just look up there site http://www.teamlbc.com/

Below are some practices of the Information Technology(IT) and Information System(IS):

1.) Database Programmer- They are the one who makes the "social" site that allows anybody to join up and create an account. This means that somehow the web application must be able to create accounts on the database server. Yet it must do this without allowing the web code to elevate its privileges, and while preventing the disaster that would ensue if a user on the "social" site somehow got himself an account on the "finance" site.

Many public sites allow users to see all kinds of information when they are not logged on.

For our two examples, the "social" site might allow limited viewing of member profiles, while the "finance" application must show absolutely nothing to the general public.

If we want a general solution that fits both cases, we opt for a deny-by-default model and allow each application to optionally have an anonymous account.

First we consider deny-by-default. This means simply that our databases are always built so that no group has any permissions on any tables. The programmer of the "social" site now has to grant certain permissions to the anonymous account, while the programmer of the "finance" application does nothing - he already has a secure system.

But still the "finance" site is not quite so simple. An anonymous user account with no privileges can still log in, and that should make any informed paranoid architect nervous. We should extend the deny-by-default philosophy so the framework will not create an anonymous account unless requested. This way the programmer of the "finance" application still basically does nothing, while the programmer of the "social" must flip a flag to create the anonymous account.

For more info. just visit the site http://database-programmer.blogspot.com/
2.) Database Administrator:

*Installation of new software — It is primarily the job of the DBA to install new versions of DBMS software, application software, and other software related to DBMS administration. It is important that the DBA or other IS staff members test this new software before it is moved into a production environment.

*Configuration of hardware and software with the system administrator — In many cases the system software can only be accessed by the system administrator. In this case, the DBA must work closely with the system administrator to perform software installations, and to configure hardware and software so that it functions optimally with the DBMS.

*Security administration — One of the main duties of the DBA is to monitor and administer DBMS security. This involves adding and removing users, administering quotas, auditing, and checking for security problems.

*Data analysis — The DBA will frequently be called on to analyze the data stored in the database and to make recommendations relating to performance and efficiency of that data storage. This might relate to the more effective use of indexes, enabling "Parallel Query" execution, or other DBMS specific features.

*Responsible for the administration of existing enterprise databases and the analysis, design, and creation of new databases. For some other info's. just open http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Database_administrator

3.) Web Developer- is a software developer
that concentrate in the world wide web applications.

4.) IT Associate- Manage and troubleshoot the Access database;
- Troubleshoot PC and printer hardware and software problems;
- Install hardware and software applications onto PCs;
- Maintain a PC inventory database to track IT inventory and help desk problems;
- Provide first-line support, troubleshooting and maintenance for the telephone system and fax;
- Responsible for backing up the server.

5.) IT Technician- they implements and supports PC applications such as word processors, spreadsheets, database management systems, e-mail and other desktop applications. Evaluates, installs and supports PCs and various printers, graphics and storage peripherals, and potentially trains new users. Can troubleshot hardware to the board level. Supports the help desk environment fielding desktop application questions.

I had come up with this results as my findings and getting information in this website http://jobsphilippines.blogspot.com/2007/08/lbc-express-inc-it-associate.html, these are the available jobs in which they are looking for there company. Therefore, if they searching this kind of jobs so these are the some practices they are looking for the IT/IS people.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://juvilyn-juvilyn.blogspot.com/
kristine_delatorre

PostSubject: Re: Assignment 1 (Due: June 25, 2009, before 01:00pm)   Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:59 am

Smart Communications, Inc. (SMART) is the Philippines' leading wireless services provider millions of subscribers on its GSM network.

A wholly owned subsidiary of the country’s dominant telecommunications carrier, the Philippine Long Distance Telephone Company (PLDT). SMART operates a nationwide cellular network, a fixed wireless broadband service and a satellite phone service. It has the most extensive and modern digital communications GSM network and infrastructure in the country, covering over 99 percent of the population.

As its widely known brands, Talk n Text, Smart Buddy, Smart Gold, an also introduced world-first wireless data services, including mobile commerce services such as offers a wireless broadband service, known as Smart bro.

As the leading wireless services provider, SMART dedicates itself to achieve their mission to be the true measure and standard of leadership in everything they do and envisions a world of people truly connected and enabled to realize their limitless possibilities.

Through applying rapid, relentless, and relevant innovation in making the technology fit the needs of their subscribers.

Such services are as follow:

GSM - SMART operates the most extensive and modern GSM network and infrastructure in the country.

3G - From video calling to high-speed Internet access and social networking, SMART offer the nationwidest 3G coverage. 3G literally means “3rd Generation.” It is a generic term for the next generation of mobile phone communications systems.

Mobile Commerce - SMART m-com technology is opening the gateway to a whole new world of wireless financial transactions. From banking to payments, from top-up loads to remittances – are just some examples of innovative mobile commerce applications that can be done through the mobile phone.

Fixed WBA - Connecting to the World Wide Web with fixed wireless broadband technology and also Connect to the Internet without phone lines with SMART's fixed wireless broadband technology. Also known as "wireless cable", "broadband wireless local loop" or "wireless DSL", fixed wireless broadband provides high performance Internet service for residential, business and enterprise users. Not to be mistaken for WiFi 802.11 and mobile systems, fixed wireless broadband offers widespread availability and flexibility even in areas underserved by conventional telco services.

Mobile satellite
- SMART mobile satellite service uses the ACeS technology which covers the entire Asia-Pacific region. Mobile satellite service (MSS), also known as global mobile personal communications by satellite (GMPCS), is a powerful communications transmission service that uses satellites.Utilizing portable terminals, MSS includes land mobile, maritime mobile and aeronautical mobile satellite services. It also provides a variety of voice, data, fax and messaging services anywhere on the globe.

SMART Communications, Inc. (“SMART” or the “Company”) is dedicated to doing business in accordance with the highest standards of ethics. The Company, its directors, officers and employees endeavor to promote a culture of good corporate governance by observing and maintaining its core business principles of accountability, integrity, fairness and transparency in their relationships among themselves and with the Company’s customers, suppliers, competitors, business partners, regulators and the public.

Here are some of the best IT/IS practices of Smart Telecom:

1. Provide customer support - SMART has build a Business Solutions Team to facilitate their valued customer with the following channels:

a. Relationship Manager - A dedicated Relationship Manager (RM) will be assigned to handle all sales and after-sales concerns. These include inquiries regarding the line subscription, defects and repairs, or any changes related to the corporate subscription.

b. The Corporate Business Group Communal Email - an email address with dedicated CBG personnel, ready and willing to answer any query regarding your SMART Gold Corporate subscriptions. There will be a ready notification of receipt of your query 15 minutes from sending your message. Email us at cbg.smart.com.ph

c. Business Hotline - A corporate hotline number 848-8889 or press #888 to Smart cellphone (toll-free) is available for all corporate subscribers.

d. Bill Delivery - To ensure on-time receipt of your bills, personal delivery will be arranged to facilitate ease in distribution and settlement of your bills.

2. Open for more effective IT changes in sytem and infrastructure - SMART operates the Philippines’ most extensive and modern GSM (Global System for Mobile communications) network and infrastructure in the country, covering over 99% of the population. SMART, we’re upped the ante by taking the lead in developing new wireless applications. SMART uses UMTS (Universal Mobile Telecommunications Systems) an specific 3G system chosen as the path of the worldwide GSM community for 3G evolution. It is based on a GSM network enhanced with W-CDMA (Wideband Code Division Multiplex Access). Aside from enhancing the existing GSM network, 3G supports the effective transmission of multimedia service. With 3G, many enjoy video calling, high-speed video streaming and mobile Internet six times faster than the current GSM/ GPRS networks.SMART started its preparations for a seamless transition to 3G as early as late 2000. On February 14, 2006, SMART launched its 3G service on a free trial basis, making the company the first telco in the Philippines to offer 3G services to the public. The service is an exciting addition to SMART’s offerings.

3. Provides Employee’s Personal and Professional Development

a. Wellness Programs – a series of year-long programs to assist SMART employees in their quest to achieve physical and mental well-being. These programs include activities and learning sessions on career, physical and spiritual health, and personal relationships.

b. Learning and Development – SMART enable employees to maximize their potentials through training and on-the-job coaching. They also have individual career development plans for consistently performing employees. They develop homegrown talents to be the next Smart Leaders.

4. Service functionality and effectiveness
– Smart Link utilizes the technology of Asia Cellullar Technology (ACeS) which covers the entire Pacific region with three gateways in Indonesia, Thailand and the Philippines. ACeS satellite has a footprint covering 11 million square miles in the Asia-Pacific region. SMART now offers its satellite phone services in more than 10 countries. The ACeS system is comprised of a geosynchronous satellite, a Satellite Control Facility, a network Control Center, gateways that interconnect with terrestrial telecommunications network worldwide and the end-user terminal.The ACeS system is owned by ACeS International Ltd., a consortium that includes Philippine Long Distance Telephone Company through its wholly-owned subsidiary ACeS Philippines Cellular Satellite Corporation (APCSC), Pasifik Satelit Nusantara of Indonesia (PSN), Jasmine International of Thaliland, and Lockheed Martin of the USA. In late 2006, ACeS International Ltd. and Inmarsat PLC, a leading global mobile satellite operator, forged a partnership agreement that will make the service truly global with the combined coverage of ACeS Garuda 1 satellite and the Inmarsat series satellites. To be introduced also is the Inmarsat’s Broadband Global Area Network (BGAN) service, the world’s first mobile communications service to provide both voice and broadband data simultaneously through a single, truly portable device on a global basis.

5. Telecommunication –in-sachets – SMARTLoad prices were broken down into smaller denominations P30, P60, P115, P200. The smaller denominations were designed for the klow income Filipino market that already purchases consumer goods in small quantities. SMART realized that most Filipino incomes fall in the lower income brackets, with as much as 51% of the population surviving on US$2.00 per day or less. SMART retailers are predominantly “sari-sari storeowners. SMART has created a network of over 500,000 retailers including sari –sari stores, housewives, students and other roving agents. According to SMART, some retailers earn up to P1000 per day in re-load sales. In December 2003, SMART introduced the PASALOAD initiative which further lowered the denominations of prepaid cellular services into P2, P4, P10, P20, P30.

6. Organization and Leadership - SMART had 18,191 employees as of end of 2003. SMART had 5,441 employees at the end of 2003, and 5,537 as of June 30, 2004. There is considerable crossover among the leadership of PLDT and SMART. Management moves have integrated SMART leadership into the upper levels of PLDT.

7. Business Benefits and Development Impact - SMART’ innovative approach minimizes physical product distribution costs and creates a demanding response stocking system for pre-paid airtime, reducing risk across the firm. Product distribution is now faster, more efficient and as the company claims, more secure . The new distribution structure and pricing scheme benefits retailers as well. Retail distributors have no physical stock to store and manage and no accompanying property theft risks. The SMS distribution interface is reportedly easy to used and can be sold in a personal fashion complementary to sari-sari business practices. The special retailer SIMs have a function allowing retailers to open or close their retail handsets via SMS and allowing retailers to sell outside of a physical location and for shop owners, outside of regular store hours.

References:
http://www.digitaldividend.org/pdf/smart_communications_case.pdf
http://smart.com.ph/corporate/about/company/

Last edited by kristine_delatorre on Thu Jun 25, 2009 3:06 am; edited 4 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://kjdelatorre.blogspot.com/
Marlie E. Sisneros

PostSubject: Assignment 1   Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:28 am

NOTE: This company has been approve in our MIS Group [MODULE 10]
The Proof Letter has been compiled.

THe company that we've visited is ABS-CBN.
Tuesday, July 14, 2009

ABS-CBN

MIS again..
Assignment No. 2

I've been there!
[WE'VE BEEN THERE!]

Information System and Information Technology Best Practices of ABS-CBN

ABS-CBN Broadcasting Corporation
ABS-CBN Broadcasting Corporation (ABS-CBN)

COMPANY PROFILE:

ABS-CBN Broadcasting Corporation (PSE: ABS) (ABS-CBN:
"Alto Broadcasting System-Chronicle Broadcasting Network") is a Philippine-based multi-media conglomerate. It is an integrated media and entertainment company in the Philippines with 42 subsidiaries and an asset base of more than PHP34 billion (US$707.09 million) as of March 2009. ABS-CBN is principally involved in television and radio broadcasting, as well as the production of television programming for domestic and international audiences and other related businesses. It was founded on June 13, 1946 (62), becoming Asia's first commercial television broadcaster in 1953. It is part of the Lopez Group of Companie. It also broadcasts content to the rest of the world through The Filipino Channel (TFC Direct), TFCko (video on demand) and TFCnow internet TV.

REFERENCE:
http://tl.wikipedia.org/wiki/ABS-CBN_Broadcasting_Corporation

ABS-CBN Corporation presented to us their Information System and Information Technology best practices. Headed by Mr. Bobby C. Nolasco, engineer manager of engineering’s department, he gave us the systems which ABS-CBN used from late centuries until now. With my group mates in Human Resource Management, we interview Mr. Nolasco together with his assistant manager; he detailed some information’s that we need in the study. We’ve learned various things about news, systems they use, personnel, strategies, and how they handle some problems without the help of IT professionals. As what they said they are “Superman” because of their ability to maintain and finance all the needs of engineering department. They can be a programmer, engineer, and manager. Here are the systems which ABS-CBN Corporation used:

THESE ARE THE SYTEMS THAT ABS-CBN IS USING:

Newsroom Management

The Newsroom can be one of the most high energy environments in a radio station, making it one of the places that can benefit the most from having the right tools. Newsroom management software from Broadcast Electronics can more than just gather wire stories and audio feeds from newswire services. NewsBoss is the complete package for radio newsrooms. All aspects of your news operation are addressed with intuitive tools designed to streamline operations.

Easily gather wire stories and audio feeds from newswire services, create scripts and audio cuts using either original material or network material, manage the scripts and audio cuts to quickly build a newscast, and present the newscast On-Air with the best tools in the business. Having the right suite of tools means your news staff will be able to spend more time on the things that really matter, contrbuting to the overall sound and success of your station. The NewsBoss advantage is the ease and speed with which these tasks can be accomplished. For more detailed information, either download the NewsBoss brochure or visit the NewsBoss website, where you can also find manuals and information on support options.

REFERENCEhttp://www.bdcast.com/hierarchy/secondary.php?maj=101&sec=225

Aspera Enterprise Server and Aspera Point-to-Point

1. Introduction

Permission determines who can access certain files, thus it is an essential organization that corresponds to how work groups collaborate. This document instructs you how to set up the proper user permission on your server machine that runs either Aspera enterprise Server or Aspera Scp for Point-to-Point, also explains the permission of transferred files.

2. Configuring User Accounts on the Server

The Aspera Enterprise Server and Aspera Scp for Point-to-Point use the same user account management system as your system. Users connecting to this server can use their system accounts to log in with equivalent permissions.

2.1 Windows

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_TCVYoLFcfao/SldqlenYu3I/AAAAAAAAAIc/OW65mIONXAw/s1600-h/3

All incoming connections require authentication against Aspera-enabled Windows user accounts. If you want to enable a user that doesn't already exist on your system, on Windows 2000/XP you can create one in Control Panel -> User Accounts; on Windows 2003 go to Start menu -> Administrative Tools -> Computer Management. For additional help on managing user accounts, please refer to the Windows manual.

REFERENCE:http://www.asperasoft.com/en/support/how_tos_8/Managing_user_and_file_permissions_20

ITS (Issue Tracking System)

An issue tracking system (also called trouble ticket system or incident ticket system) is a computer software package that manages and maintains lists of issues, as needed by an organization. Issue tracking systems are commonly used in an organization's customer support call center to create, update, and resolve reported customer issues, or even issues reported by that organization's other employees. An issue tracking system often also contains a knowledge base containing information on each customer, resolutions to common problems, and other such data. An issue tracking system is similar to a "bugtracker", and often, a software company will sell both, and some bugtrackers are capable of being used as an issue tracking system, and vice versa.

A ticket is a file contained within an issue tracking system which contains information about support interventions made by technical support staff or third parties on behalf of an end user who has reported an incident that is preventing them from working with their computer as they would expect to be able to. Tickets are commonly created in a help desk or call center environment. Typically the ticket will have a unique reference number, also known as a case, issue or call log number which is used to allow the user or support staff to quickly locate, add to or communicate the status of the users issue or request. These tickets are so called because of their origin as small cards within a typical wall mounted work planning system when this kind of support started. Operators or staff receiving a call or query from a user would fill out a small card with the user's details and a brief summary of the request and place it into a position (usually the last) in a column of pending slots for an appropriate engineer, so determining the staff member who would deal with the query and the priority of the request.

REFERENCE:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Issue_tracking_system

Lotus Notes

Lotus Notes is a client-server, collaborative application developed and sold by IBM Software Group. IBM defines the software as an "integrated desktop client option for accessing business e-mail, calendars and applications on [an] IBM Lotus Domino server. The Notes client is mainly used as an email client, but also acts as an instant messaging client (for Lotus Sametime), browser, notebook, and calendar/resource reservation client, as well as a platform for interacting with collaborative applications.

In the early days of the product, the most common applications were threaded discussions and simple contact management databases. Today Notes also provide blogs, wikis, RSS aggregators, CRM and Help Deskapplications for Notes using Domino Designer. systems, and organizations can build a variety of custom. The Notes client can be used as an IMAP and POP e-mail client with non-domino mail servers. Recipient addresses can be retrieved from any LDAP server, including Active Directory. The client also does web browsing although it can be configured to launch the default browser instead. Features include group calendaring and scheduling, SMTP/MIME-based e-mail, NNTP-based news support, and automatic HTML conversion of all documents by the Domino HTTP task.

REFERENCE:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBM_Lotus_Notes

SAP

SAP provides a comprehensive range of business software and enterprise applications – designed for global operations and supported with globalization services – to empower every aspect of your business.

You gain the visibility to pinpoint inefficiencies – and the capabilities to transform them into competitive advantage. The foresight to identify new opportunities – and the agility to respond. The functionality to optimize your operations – and resources to extend best practices to your entire value chain.

REFERENCE:http://www.sap.com/solutions/index.epx

Lout

The Lout system reads a high-level description of a document similar in style to LaTeX and produces a PostScript file which can be printed on many laser printers and graphic display devices. Plain text output is also available. Lout offers an unprecedented range of advanced features, including optimal paragraph and page breaking, automatic hyphenation, PostScript EPS file inclusion and generation, equation formatting, tables, diagrams, rotation and scaling, sorted indexes, bibliographic databases, running headers and odd-even pages, automatic cross referencing, multilingual documents including hyphenation (most European languages are supported, including Russian), formatting of C/C++ programs, and much more, all ready to use. Furthermore, Lout is easily extended with definitions which are very much easier to write than troff of TeX macros because Lout is a high-level language, the outcome of an eight-year research project that went back to the beginning. (from rpm description)

REFERENCE:http://linux.maruhn.com/sec/lout.html

What a Face What a Face
~FIN~

Last edited by Marlie E. Sisneros on Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:06 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://msisneros.blogspot.com/
Jovylin O. Sandoval

PostSubject: Re: Assignment 1 (Due: June 25, 2009, before 01:00pm)   Thu Jun 25, 2009 3:22 am

Lane Systems

Lane Systems, Inc., located in Davao City Philippines, is comprised of a team of highly competent information technology professionals offering software development and consulting with a wide range of software and hardware solutions including portable computers for barcode or RFID. Starting as a small company doing offshore development work exclusively for North America clients in 1995, Lane Systems launched its services to world wide clients in 1999.

Their offshore and local clients have grown significantly since then. Today, the company is actively promoting IT development in the Philippines and is closely working with government agencies in building solutions for small-medium enterprises (SMEs) and encouraging them to automate their business processes.

Lane Systems exists to provide an ever-increasing level of quality software, consulting, service and responsiveness to our customers for very reasonable costs, while creating a corporate culture that fosters respect, personal growth, responsibility and opportunities for their employees. They are uniquely committed to customer service, transparency in conducting business and the long-term nature of their business vision.

Believing in continuously investing in their skills, professionalism, capabilities and internal standards, the company strives to be the leading solution provider in the city and enable businesses to improve their processes. The goal is not only to provide solutions but to generate awareness on the advantages of computerization and new technologies available. They are equipped with the infrastructure for developing high quality applications, and experience in designing, developing, implementing and supporting enterprise-type applications as well as the expertise in Voice over IP and PC Telephony solutions.

Their services range from building custom software to complete automated business solutions so uniquely tailored that we maintain to be very competitive and effective in the corporate and high-tech startup markets. They also provide support for our custom software applications as well as the commercial applications that they are licensed to sell, as they are online 24 hours everyday on the Internet.

Lane Systems is unique in several aspects; among them is the unparalleled ability to examine a business challenge, apply appropriate technology solutions, and effectively articulate the solution to their own teams and the customer from start to finish. They guarantee customer satisfaction as they go the “extra mile” to see that their customers know that they mean business when they say they are committed to them.

Lane Systems latest efforts involve developing RFID application software for the EPCGlobal C1G2 (ISO 18000-6C) high memory RFID tags used at Boeing, Airbus, and across the aviation industry.

Some of their best practices in IT/IS :
Arrow 1. Business Solutions

They provide a wide range of software and hardware solutions for business. These solutions are for sales and distribution, manufacturing, production, and services business covering accounting, asset tracking, purchasing workflows, payables, inventory control, warehousing, sales, production and manufacturing management and more.

Arrow 2. Programming

They provide the services for off-shore software development or computer programming. They provide the right skillset and experience to build your custom software. Their expertise covers the .NET Framework, ASP.NET, .NET Compact Framework, and code written in VB.NET or C#.NET, with databases using SQL Server or Oracle, customization services for SharePoint, XML Web Services, Windows Communication Foundation, SQL Reporting, Analysis, and Integration Services, and many others.

Arrow 3. Windows Mobile

They build business software for Windows Mobile platforms. They build applications for phone based Windows Mobile devices or vertical devices with barcode readers, RFID readers, and specialized hardware. Mobile devices make the business more flexible by bringing the data with you and transacting or recording as the event happens and making data more accurate and timely. Windows Mobile devices with Barcodes and RFID's help build real-time systems for inventory, production traceability, medical appplications, and more.

Arrow 4. Web Enablement

Transform your desktop-based custom business applications to Web-enabled software. Expand your current software to take advantage of technologies they use on the Internet today; from remote accessibily, escape the tedius task of updating each desktop for new releases, and scale those process intensive applications to multiple servers easily.

Arrow 5. Outsourcing

Companies today realize that if I.T. is not your core competency, outsourcing is the most cost-effective way to maintain your I.T. infrastructure and to cater to I.T. services needs. Outsourcing I.T. for software programming, network maintenance, tech support services, or even for backoffice task like accounting, virtual secretary, data encoding, and others. You virtually own and control the outsourced personnel and the assigned personnel acts as being part of your company and protecting your company's benefit and interest.

Arrow 6. WebFinancials
WebFinancials is Lane Systems ERP product offering a fully web enabled business management software. Manage approval workflows for purchase requests and purchase orders, or check inventory levels and do reorder, encode sales, record production information, generate financial information, all done via a web browser. Leverage the simplicity of accessing the application from any platform and ability to expand your application for remote access or integrating geographically challenged offices.

Arrow 7. Delivering solutions right
They deliver their software projects using Microsoft Solutions Framework; with project phases, methodology, and document-driven paradigm to make sure communication is a prime objective. Plus, they provide an on-line project tracking, though their Service Desk product, allowing customers to track every piece of task, module, feature, test cases, and any deliverable that is expected from the project. Their project phases starts with envisioning, planning, design, development, user acceptance testing, pre-migration, go live, and project evaluation.

Their New offers:

Arrow 1. Lane Systems develops applications for high memory EPCGEN2 RFID tags. The real benefit of EPCGEN2 RFID tags is the user space where you can write custom data. Imagine the ability to store not only the item's unique product code but including its cost, route history, components, expiry, and other data on the RFID label that is stickered in the products, and without the need to access the server data or connectivity to a remote database. The data needed is written to and read from the RFID label. The applications for this technology is endless from inventory, product traceability, asset tracking, route tracking, shipping, and many others.

Arrow 2. Lane Systems starts to offer fillable-forms solutions. The advantage of fillable PDF forms is that you use the free Adobe Reader and bring the forms with you; allowing you to partially fill-out forms and save locally to disk and send the filled-out forms to the server later for processing and only once it's filled-out completely. Lane Systems builds your custom fillable forms and offers the service to build server side software for forms routing, custom workflow, and custom electronic forms processing.

Furthermore, this company has a Partnership Services too which is offered either to hire them as an extended MIS or I.T. Team, to do network maintenance, software development, I.T. planning, or remote support, or to offer their services to a certain market. Actually, Lane Systems is an already ISV Partner for Microsoft, Southeast Asia distributor for Vertical, software partner of ID-Integration, and partner of Technology Solutions LLC.

In addition, the companies that they offered their services already are the Alfons Aqua Culture, Agrinanas Development Corp. Inc. and Uraya Development Inc.

Reference: http://www.lanesystems.com/Default.aspx
Lane Systems is Located at:
Wheels and More Drive
JP Laurel Avenue
Davao City, Philippines 8000
Voice: 1-800-686-1096
eMail: info@lanesystems.com

flower PS. Fortunately, this company is where my cousin works with for about 2 years. She is Lyzel Abuzo, an IT professional and now became their software development manager under the WebFinancials services. Therefore, she is the one that I have interviewed about their company. Honestly, she just talked about it a little because she thinks that I could have more detailed information about their practices/ services on IT/IS if I am going to visit their website instead. On the other hand, I am very proud of her for working with that very good company because Lane Systems’ corporate atmosphere is really dynamic and very challenging. They are always on the edge, crunching numbers and codes, testing software repeatedly, just to meet deadlines and achieve customer satisfaction. And the company strives to be reputable in its excellent output of business solutions and systems. I just wish that I’m gonna work with that company too someday even if I'm gonna really feel that pressure too coz it's really my honor to work with that kind of a company!

bounce Pls visit and comment me on my blog! bounce
The Dreamer and Believer!

Last edited by Jovylin O. Sandoval on Sat Jun 27, 2009 7:39 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://juvz14.multiply.com
shane sacramento

PostSubject: Re: Assignment 1 (Due: June 25, 2009, before 01:00pm)   Thu Jun 25, 2009 4:53 am

A company's best practices in Information System

Hubport Interactive is an IT based company that enables a business to build an imperative subsistence in the online B2C (Business-to-Consumer) space. They empower their customers' websites to attain optimum function and revolutionizes business by creating online channels to effectively connect with existing clients and successfully tap new ones. Their accomplished E-Commerce Storefront encoders, Retail Shop Managers, and Online Marketing Consultants provide the technology backbone that launch prospering and profitable websites.(http://www.hubportinteractive.com/about-us.htm)

As the interviewee say, the company started only with eight people, which is composed of six(6) developers and two(2) designers. They don't really have an IS to keep track of their business' movement. They only use one(1) computer and basic softwares for their business. Records for the deadline is aided by pen and paper. From that very simple alliance they have evolve into something big that they even reached and surpassed the boundary of the Philippines. Now, they've been working with more or less one hundred and fifty(150) staffs. The speaker added that they started establishing and using IS for their growing business in the year late 2006, particularly on the month of November.

As he has discussed that the role of IS/IT in the business is, it is the core or the backbone of their business, in which these systems keep track of their customers, old and new, and their staffs. He define IT/IS very important, that is ranging from software, which is essential for website developing and it can identify errors and split them up much faster than usual, with manual; hardware on the other hand, acts as the server and it is necessary for the staffs to have at least one(1) computer each, these hardwares are connected to each other, which is technically called networking, particularly by WAN or wide-area network, they use WAN because the company is based from the main office, which is located at the United States of America or USA, through internet; peopleware as the speaker says, are the one who develops, secures and maintains hardware and software, thus software and hardware relies on the people ware. As he said, "Hardwares would just be there without peopleware". These three things work together to uphold the business thus, enabling them to reach the full functionality of their company so they can provide the very best solution they can give for their clients and customers.

Their best practices in IT/IS are discussed too. He said that the business keeps documentation, back up, security and recovery plan.

He has explained and stated situations for us to understand their best practices.

* Documentation

It is keeping track of everything, that is ranging from having a list of blocked sites in the company to logging in and logging out of the staffs. As an example, the System Manager blocked a certain site on the internet without knowing that some of the staffs are using the site. as expected the staff will come up to the manager and tell him the problem. With the list, the manager would be able to unblock the site immediately.

* Back up Internet Provider

This one speaks of their internet connection, since they are sub-company of an international company internet is essential to their business. Internet access keeps them in touch with their valued customers inside and outside the Philippines. Their internet connection or connections are provided by Bayan Telecommunication, Globe Telecommunication and PLDT or Philippine Long Distance Telephone Company. The ITofficer showed us their system, he showed us how they keep track of the internet he also explained that their system is connected into one internet connection at a time, this means that they will only use the back up connections when the connection their using in the mean time has loss its connection or as the term called server down. They would have to plug out the cable for the connection then plug it in on the active server.

* Security

This is to secure the system itself. As the speaker says, since they are connected to he internet access to viruses and suspicious files can't be resisted, thus exposing the system to harm. This problem can be healed with fire wall and an anti-virus software. They update their anti-virus software daily to protect their server.

Security can also mean security from hacker and other. Since it can't be resisted that some of their staffs will have to take some files or print out files from their computers for security reasons the Central Processing Unit or CPU of their staffs respective computers does not contain DVD or CD ROM or even USB ports. When they have to get data or print out data, staffs would have to go to the IS manager because the file they need can only be taken out or printed out from the server unit.

* Recovery plan

This particularly describes their disaster recovery plan when ever an emergency or a disaster comes. These disaster may vary from black out or in case of fire. The officer didn't told us the steps with regards for their disaster recovery plan but he had, showed us the office of the IS manager and point out the papers on the wall, which I can't barely read.

As from what I have heard from the interviewee, keeping track of data is necessary for the company. They find IS very essential to their business thus, it is considered as the backbone of the business, that means without IS or IT their business was long gone and it will never grow from eight people to more or less one hundred(150) fifty staffs. I find the back up of server the very best practice they did. Because I have concluded from their companies profile that they barely rely on the internet to connect with their important and valued customers. It is a good thing that they've come up with the idea to have three(3) internet connection provider. This practice keeps them updated from other branches of the business all over the world and it also enables them to keep the communication between consumers and their company. I got my hands up for their data security, they have foreseen the risk of having networked computers, which is described as sharing of data from one computer to another. Since they have concluded that risk, they have come up with the idea to take out USB (Universal Serial Bus) ports and DVD/CD-ROM on the system units of every running computer on their company. Through this, they can control the data that comes out on their company, through this the IS manager can monitor the flow of data that's coming in and coming out of the company.

That's all for the best practices of our chosen company, Hubport Interactive who have given us the chance to speak with their IT officer. Thank You...^_^

Last edited by shane sacramento on Sat Jul 25, 2009 11:44 pm; edited 4 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
sharlyn joy pines

PostSubject: Re: Assignment 1 (Due: June 25, 2009, before 01:00pm)   Thu Jun 25, 2009 5:02 am

flower Please browse the pages..... flower

Last edited by sharlyn joy pines on Tue Jul 07, 2009 5:04 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Franz Cie B. Suico

PostSubject: Re: Assignment 1 (Due: June 25, 2009, before 01:00pm)   Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:41 am

International subsidiary
163-165 C Bangoy Sr St., Davao City, PH-8000, Philippines
()63 03582 221 2291, 63 03582 221 2105 fax, http://www.davaolight.com
Primary SIC: Electric Services, Primary NAICS: Electric Power Distribution
Description: Utilities: Generation and transmission of electricity

First, I will make some brief history about Davao Light & Power Company.

Davao Light & Power Company was incorporated in 1929 by Patrick Henry Frank, Relatives and Associates. Negotiations for the purchase of Davao Light by the Aboitiz Group was seriously undertaken in late 1941 but was subsequently aborted due to the outbreak of World War II.

From that time on, Such oversaw the rebuilding and operating of Davao Light’s remaining assets until 1952 when Edson Canova took over the management seat. Shortly thereafter, Luis Aboitiz, Jr. joined the company and was later on followed by Ernesto Aboitiz. It was at this point in time where the marginal growths started to take place.

Davao Light and Power Company is the third largest privately-owned electric utility in the Philippines. It holds the franchise for distributing electric power to Davao City, the largest city in the world in terms of land area, as well as Panabo City and the municipalities of Carmen, Dujali, and Sto. Tomas in Davao del Norte. On September 29, 2000, the franchise was renewed for another 25 years by virtue of Republic Act 8960.

They aim to be the country's leader in providing electric power and related services by becoming a world-class electric distribution company. The ultimate satisfaction of there customers is the driving purpose of there existence. They aspire for excellence in everything that they do by adhering to the highest standards of professionalism, by making integrity the foundation of all their relationships, and by focusing on the unlimited potential of their people.
They are a responsible partner on the road to progress and development, essential to their community's collective hope for a better life.

DLPC has a fully functional automated mapping and facilities management (AM/FM) system to track the location of electric distribution assets in its franchise. Also in place is a Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition (SCADA) system, a facility that allows remote real-time data gathering and control of equipment in all power substations. High-end computers, sophisticated software, and other devices are being used to speed up meter reading, streamline billing, provide efficient and prompt response to customer inquiries, generate management information, and analyze electrical grid information.

The Information Systems Department of Davao Light and Power Corporation is divided into four sectors:

Business Solutions Department (BSD) - which deals with creating business solutions to the company such as creating new systems for the company's use only and aims to make the company be more progressive.

Engineering Information Department (EID) - creates solutions to the business problems or queries presented to the Davao Light and Power Corporation.

Network Infrastructure Department (NID) - which handles the company's IT/Network infrastructure.

Database Management Department (DMD) - they are the ones who manages and updates the databases made in-house and sometimes outsourced by the company.

Programs that Davao Light Power Company offers:

1. The Central Communication and Emergency Response Center which was patterned after the “911” in the US is a project that uses a special computer software to help authorities respond to distress calls. The project was conceived during the first quarter of 2002. It was developed and made possible to help in fighting crime and lawlessness in Davao City. The launching of the “911” in Davao, made the Philippines the only country after the US and Canada to adopt the system. Using the 911 system, DLPC used a modified version of its Geographic and Information System—and called it the Emergency Computer Aided Dispatch (ECAD) to help authorities locate the origin of emergency calls. The system even tracks how fast the police could respond to the emergency calls. The system also uses color-coded icons to monitor movement and location of police mobile units: Blue for mobile units at rest; Red for on the move response and Green for onsite, which means that a mobile unit has arrived in the site of emergency. The city also hired operators to man the center. “911” has eight fulltime call takers, two dispatchers and a tracker. It’s a 24-hour, seven-days-a-week system. At least 15 police mobiles are on call for emergency response aside from the regular police cars given to police precincts.

2. Cisco's IP Telephony Solution, DLPC was able to provide a single hotline number to its customers. DLPC now enjoys a structured local telephone numbering, speed dialing using email and enhanced voice mail features. "We no longer pass customer calls around among our three offices and they only need to remember one number to contact us," said Ronald Chan, Head of Systems Operation Department. Maintaining their communication infrastructure is now easier and cheaper as it integrates both voice and data into one network, preventing duplicate infrastructure and simplifying network management. Running on this same network is DLPC's mini call center that caters to calls from customers who need quick answers to their concerns and inquiries.

3. Supply Chain Consulting by providing innovative enterprise software solutions and services, the Supply Chain have built a strong following of loyal customers including Davao Light & Power Company. They have partnered with many of these customers since their original system implementation and provide ongoing support for their operational and strategic business needs. In relation, Davao Light and Power Company is the third largest privately-owned electric utility in the Philippines and the #1 Power Utility in the Visayas and Mindanao Region. Supply Chain Consulting provided consulting services to Oracle for the implementation of the AEV ERP Project.

4. Using Short Messaging Systems (SMS) - Aboitiz has an e-ticketing/SMS ticketing service that provides a channel for passengers to directly book and pay for their own tickets and allows ticketing agents to issue any accommodation for any Super Ferry voyage online. It also provides Easy Cards which is a pre-paid, re-loadable and refundable card for passengers that provides the safety and security of not having to carry around cash while on its vessels.

5. International Payroll Outsourcing - It cuts costs and administration and management time.Accuracy and efficiency increase. Consolidated real-time reporting across countries quickly provides data to show that compliance standards and Service Level Agreements have been met.

This are only some practices that the Davao Light and Power Company using Information Systems.

References:
>http://www.davaolight.com/
>http://www.rvr.aim.edu.ph/Website_Awards/nominees/041.htm
>http://www.aboitiz.com/Main/176:Davao_Light__Power_Company.html
>http://www.cisco.com/web/PH/learning/wins/davao.html
>http://goliath.ecnext.com/coms2/product-compint-0001199526-page.html
>http://www.supplychain-consulting.com/index.php/customers/
>http://www.ict4d.ph/proceedings/Project_Inventory2.php
>http://www.patersons.net/
Back to top Go down
View user profile
rosemie nunez

PostSubject: Assignment1:   Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:54 am

Davao City Hall
San Pedro Street, City Hall, Davao City

Identify a local organization(s) and discuss some of their best practices in IT/IS ... this should be well-supported with any evidences ....

The City Hall of Davao is one of the local organization that practices IT/IS.

The City Government of Davao serves as the local government authority for Davao City guided by the principles, mandates, laws, rules and regulations stated under the 1987 Philippine Constitution. Under the Local Government Code of 1991, it enjoys certain autonomy in running the affairs of the City.
The Information technology and the information system of the City Government was under their HRMIS or Human Resource Management Information System. The Human Resource Management Information System started as a Division under the City Mayor’s Office of the City Government of Davao. With only sixteen (16) plantilla personnel and a number old casual employees, the Personnel Division as it was then called, was responsible in the administration of personnel matters such as recruitment, selection, placement, retirement, termination. Years of rapid development realized the need to address the increasing demands for timely and responsive programs and services not only for the employees of the City Government but more importantly, to the constituents of the City of Davao. Inadequacies on systems and procedures, structural and staffing patterns, overlapping and duplication of functions, and the need for structural transformation inspired the motion for structural change which eventually led to the Agency’s Reorganization in 1996. As a result, this progressive movement gave birth and saw the creation of the Human Resource Management Office, which paved the way to the establishment of meaningful programs and mechanism that will ensure effective and efficient governance. The HRMO at present is managed and maintained by qualified, highly skilled and humane 59 plantilla personnel along with 22 contracts of service and job orders as they compliment the entire workforce. True to its word and commitment, this dynamic institution will take the lead in transforming the Vision of Davao City into reality
The City Hall of Davao is one of the local organizations that practice IT/IS.
There best practices are:First the Human Resource Management Information System- It is a microcomputer based system designed to maintain updated records of all plantilla and co-terminus personnel, and to ensure speedy data access ad prompt generations of reports. It merges Human Resource Management with Information Technology to simplify the decision making process. It contains their updated and accurate personnel database. It is also responsible for prompting generations of reports and other printing requirements based on the personnel database. It also generate uniform and consistent computation of employees’ incentives and benefits. And lastly, ensures the security of information through safe database access Second, Personal Data Information System- System is a software for the data entry, data tracking and data information needs of the Human Resource, payroll, management and accounting functions within a business. It keep and manage every employee’s records and give the employees yearly updates. Third, the online forums and polls- the forums are powered by phpBB which is a bulletin board solution released under the “General Public License” (hereinafter “GPL”) and can be downloaded from www.phpBB.com. The phpBB software only facilitates internet based discussions, the phpBB Group are not responsible for what we allow and/or disallow as permissible content and/or conduct. Forth, is the automated attendance- they use Automated Fingerprint Identification Systems. New technologies are being introduced on a regular basis to make things much simpler and more modernized. The city hall keep side by side of the advances in the information technology (IT). The strengthening of the city’s IT capabilities and use of the Geographic Information System in all aspects of planning, programming and project implementation will enable policy makers and implementers to intelligently analyze critical information and arrive at sound decisions in project prioritization and resource allocation. City Hall’s Information Management and Development involves data generation, processing and packaging, storage & retrieval system, on-line information assistance desk, review existing incentives and prepare recommendations, project profiles, pre-investment studies, viability and feasibility and, industry profiles.

Resources:

http://www.davaocity.gov.ph/
http://www.davaoboard.com/
http://www.davaocity.gov.ph/localgovernment/thrusts.htm
http://www.davaocity.gov.ph/davao-forum/
http://www.davaocity.gov.ph/DCIPC/DCIPCfunctions.htm
http://www.sunstar.com.ph/static/dav/2002/10/24/bus/isp.offers.service.to.city.hall.html

VISIT my BLOG at :www.rosemienp.blogspot.com

Smile

Last edited by rosemie nunez on Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://rosemienp.blogspot.com
Gabrielle Anne Rae Deseo

PostSubject: Local Company Reflection   Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:37 am

Reflection agAin!!

For our first assignment in MIS 1 we were asked to choose a local organization or company to study on their Information System as well as their Information technology practices. Actually this was given a couple of days ago but because of my “cramming syndrome” or “last minute syndrome” which is a bad habit I really have to work on (LOL), now I have to do this as quickly as I could and at the last minute.(LOL) Some of us were also confused as to what kind of company to study on and how this assignment should be done which is also a mistake and we should have asked ahead of time :’c. Well it already happened and there are no time machines. (Hehe)

EMCOR is a 100% Filipino-owned retail business corporation specializing in appliances, furniture, IT products, motorcycles, and money transfer through its network of specialty chain stores in the Visayas, Mindanao, and Palawan areas. With the launching of our online store, EMCOR will now be making its presence known in the online industry and promote its company’s goals and vision to the global community.

Visit my blog for my full reflection!!http://xiibee.blogspot.com/

Tnx.. God Bless!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://xiibee.blogspot.com/
creza_jill_bulacito

PostSubject: Assignment 1 Reflection   Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:47 am

Good day Sir

lol!

Profile on the company you have approved
[
Hubport Interactive Incorporated[/size]

Hubport Interactive Incorporated a Business Process Outsourcing, Internet Technologies & Consultancy. An alliance with Hubport Interactive enables a business to build an imperative subsistence in the online B2C (Business-to-Consumer) space. They help to empower your website to attain optimum function and revolutionize your business by creating online channels to effectively connect with existing clients and successfully tap new ones. They have accomplished E-Commerce Storefront encoders, Retail Shop Managers, and Online Marketing Consultants that can help you to provide the technology backbone that launch prospering and profitable websites.

please visit my blog for complete details thank you sir...http://rs-crezaharu.blogspot.com/
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fritzielaine A. Barcena

PostSubject: Local Organization : Genetic Computer Holding International   Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:07 pm

GENETIC COMPUTER HOLDING INTERNATIONAL

It is a part of the GENETIC EDUCATIONAL GROUP established 1987 in Singapore. It currently operates an international chain of computer training school and joint venture operations in 6 countries.

With nearly 100 years of combined experience in this field, the company enjoys a heritage founded on the quality of education, the experience of its personnel, the continuing research and development of new courses and the vision of our founders in the management of the school. the Genetic Group is found in most of the major regions in Asia and currently represented in 34 countries. It is acknowledged as one of the premier computer-training specialist in the Asia Pacific Region.

GENETIC is closely linked in most minds with the living organisms. The name was chosen to eflect the dynamic living science of computing and its essential human connection.

GENETIC HOLDINGS INTERNATIONAL INC. was established by the Genetic Group of Singapore here in the Philippines primarily to provide support and logistic to all GENETIC COMPUTER INSTITUTE in the Philippines. GHII with its international network and quality education recognized worldwide promises to push all franchise school to be the new leader in Information technology training in the Philippines.

VISION. To be a leading force in the promotion of Information Technology culture.

MISSION. Mission to produce professionals for Information Technology Industry.

AIMS. To provide quality IT training and educational opprtunities as well as certification fore the people who are suitably qualified.

CORE VALUE.

* Professionalism. The group is committed to the highest standards of ethics and integrity. * Total Trainee Satisfaction. We focus on understanding and exceeding the expectations
of our trainees.
* Dynamic Innovative Culture. We seek continuous improvement and excellence in
everything we do.
* Human Resource Development. We value our people and are committed to developing
and training them to their fullest potential so as to
serve you better.
* Community Service. We strive to be a good corporate citizen.
Products / Services

Computer Institute

Contact Information

Ms. Annie Ambrosio
Center Operations Manager
Mailing Address: Door 8 SARC Bldg. Sta. Ana Ave., Corner Guerero St., Davao City
Telephone Nos.: (082) 224-4643; (082) 224-4644; (082) 300-2760
Fax No.: (082) 224-4643
Email Address: genetic3@mozcom.com

There best practices involves the communication of a clear mission and strategy, leadership by example, the setting of demanding but realistic targets, an open and communicative management style, clear and careful strategic planning..
Having accurate and up-to-date information about business performance will also help future planning and change management.

Communicating their objectives and strategies is an essential part of their best practice.

^_^

Last edited by Fritzielaine A. Barcena on Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:48 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://prettypriti-pretty.blogspot.com/
Norena T. Nicdao

PostSubject: Company...   Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:09 pm

This are the lists of my companies with their profile which I proposed to Dr. Randy S. Gamboa:

1.) Far East Seafood, Inc.
Luen Thai Fishing Ventures,
Ltd.Philippines – Davao
Davao Fish Port Complex,Toril, Davao City
8000Tel: +63 (82) 291-3397
www.ltfv.com

Brief Company Profile:

Luen Thai Fishing Ventures, Ltd. (LTFV) is a leading seafood company engaged in fishing-based operations, processing, packaging and distribution of fresh tuna and seafood products. Every year, we supply over 11,000 tons of fresh tuna and other seafood products to customers in Japan, the United States, Canada, Europe and China. We provide quality products to major auction markets, wholesalers, food service, distributors, as well as clubs, retailers, restaurant chains and specialty outlet stores. Our products range from fresh and frozen whole fish, processed products of various cuts, and value added packaging.

Services:

BASE OPERATIONS A stronghold in its stable, LTFV bases services approximately 150 long-line fishing boats from China to the Federated States of Micronesia, Guam, the Republic of Palau, the Republic of the Marshall Islands and the Philippines. These bases have extensively embraced the entire tuna-fishing ground in the Western Central Pacific region.

VESSELS AND SUPPLIES SERVICES LTFV bases also serve as the maintenance and supplies depots for fishing vessels operating in Western Pacific. More than 150 long-line vessels benefit from LTFV bases' strategic locations and maintenance capabilities. These bases provide fuel, baits, materials and crew supplies to the vessels.

LOGISTICS AND AIRFREIGHT SERVICES The critical need for freshness has been the major component which has prompted LTFV's sister company, Asia Pacific Airlines to operate three (3) Boeing 727 aircraft. These planes ensure reliable airfreight and transshipment services for the timely export of fresh chilled tuna from bases to buyers. Through its Guam branch, LTFV has been able to coordinate and oversee the logistics operation effectively and efficiently.

FOOD PROCESSING To answer the growing demands for fresh tuna products in the US, Europe, China and Japan markets, LTFV operates 4 processing plants in Davao, Pohnpei, Majuro and Palau.
A newly formed joint venture with Honolulu-based NORPAC Fisheries Export further strengthens LTFV's processing capabilities by providing branded and value added tuna products to the US mainland market.

SALES AND DISTRIBUTION LTFV established its foothold on major tuna markets by developing local key liaison offices in Japan, Honolulu, New York, Los Angeles, Seattle and China. These offices manage the local supply distribution processes, as well as thoroughly conduct on-location customer relationship, and marketing and distribution analyses.

Source:ltfv.luenthaienterprises.com/page.php?id=14 -

2.) EAST ASIA FISH COMPANY, INC.
Business Type: Industrial Services and Equipment
EAFCI Building, Davao Fish Port Complex, Toril, Davao City, Philippines
Davao City, Region 11
Tel: (082) 291-3397 to 98 / (02) 851-0234
Fax: (082) 291-3398 / (02) 851-0234
eafci@attglobal. net / eafci@mozcom. com
Fresh / Frozen Marine Products

3.) Davao Tek Huat Marine Factor Corp.
Davao Fish Port ComplexDaliao Toril District
Davao City, Philippines

A Philippine corporation establish in 1997. the primary purpose is to provide services to foreign fishing vessels, full and partial crewing of vessel, trading of marine products and equipments, as agents to the vessel, its captain, and the crew

4.) Solariega Subdivision Davao City

Solariega carries the Caribbean concept. It combines a diverse mix of European, American, Dutch and other Western influences. The islands are home to rich and colorful palm trees and flowers which are in full bloom all year round. Tropical and sunny, these islands are favorite resort get-aways of the rich and famous. This is the general ambience that Solariega brigns in its entire community development. Gardens of tropical plants serve as background to houses which come in colorful hues predominantly Caribbean. This Carribean-themed community offers amenities and facilities for enjoyment with your family and friends.

5.) Toscana Subdivision Davao City

Toscana is a name of a region in Italy most famous for its landscaping of rolling terrain of vineyards, olive groves and sunflower fields. An Italian-themed community, Toscana is Communities Philippines' (formerly Crown Communities) second development project in Davao City after Solariega's Toscana is a dream come true for those who want to live their hard earned dreams. This is where your special investment will yield great returns for years to come.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
brian c. namuag

PostSubject: My Chosen Company   Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:24 pm

My Chosen Companies

We’ve been through ups and downs in choosing companies to conduct our study regarding their IT/IS system. It was yesterday when we find out that we have to post our list of chosen companies in Managerial Information System group. Heavy rains outside made us struggling in finding internet café’s to search the profile of every company we take note. And after a long and winding time waiting for approval, breathe taking acts impulses our nerves as we’ve witness the companies which our professor checked by. Dr. Randy S. Gamboa is the man behind our research papers, for he wants us to know and learn such brilliant papers, systems and flow of works in every company he approved. These are the companies that I posted in our group:

1)Callbox-provide your company with the focused sales efforts it requires. Outsource your sales function to Callbox. Our people are able to determine a business sales solution that will produce optimal results according to your particular need. We can provide a new or complementary sales team and/or simply augment top performers, fill gaps or assist in the evaluation and realignment of an existing team. You will get improved results from an outsourced sales component because our team will bring a level of consistency and best practices to your company that's often too difficult to achieve and maintain with an in-house staff.

2).SM City Davao-is a shopping mall owned and operated by SM Prime Holdings located in the City of Davao. It is the SM SuperMall located in the Mindanao Region. The mall was constructed and opened in November 2001 with a design similar to SM City Pampanga and SM City Cagayan de Oro. It has a land area of 132,000 sq.m and a floor area of 75,440 m².

3). ANFLOCOR-The rise of the ANFLO Group business empire started from a vision of one man, Don Antonio O. Floirendo, Sr., or AOF, as he is fondly called by his employees. AOF's business acumen, inspired by his foresight and gut-feel, enabled him to build a business conglomerate which is proudly Mindanao based.

4).PLDT- Founded on November 28, 1928, Philippine Long Distance Company (PLDT) is the leading telecommunications provider in the Philippines. Through its three principal business groups - fixed line, wireless, and information and communication technology - PLDT offers the largest and most diversified range of telecommunications services across the Philippines’ most extensive fiber optic backbone and fixed line, cellular and satellite networks.

5).ABS-CBN Broadcasting Corporation- - (ABS-CBN: "Alto Broadcasting System-Chronicle Broadcasting Network") is a Philippine-based multi-media conglomerate. It is an integrated media and entertainment company in the Philippines with 42 subsidiaries and an asset base of more than PHP32.5 billion (US$666.8 million) as of June 2008. Business Description:
ABS-CBN Broadcasting Corporation. The Group's principal activity is that of a media and entertainment company. It is principally involved in television and radio broadcasting. It also produces television programming for domestic and international audiences and other related businesses. The Group has three business segments namely, Broadcasting, Cable and Satellite and Other Businesses. Broadcasting covers the production of television and radio programs that serve its target audience's needs for news, information and entertainment, and public service

6).SkyCable- is a direct-to-home cable TV and subscription service, established by the Lopez Group of Companies and Central CATV Group Of Companies. It is one of several subsidiaries of ABS-CBN.
SkyCable has been selling custom tuned downconverters for use in the Microwave Bands since 1995. Additionally we
have been servicing home and commercial satellite reception equipment for a number of years. We sold the R.L. Drake
MMDS Downconverter that are being successfully used around the world. These, however, are now sold out and are no longer available.

7).Bayan Telecommunications, Inc. (BayanTel)- is a telecommunications company serving areas in Metro Manila, Bicol and local exchange service areas in the Visayas and Mindanao regions combined cover a population of over 25 million, nearly 33% of the population of the Philippines.

Cool.Hubport-An alliance with Hubport Interactive enables a business to build an imperative subsistence in the online B2C (Business-to-Consumer) space. We empower your website to attain optimum function and revolutionize your business by creating online channels to effectively connect with existing clients and successfully tap new ones. Our accomplished E-Commerce Storefront encoders, Retail Shop Managers, and Online Marketing Consultants provide the technology backbone that launch prospering and profitable websites.

9).Smart Communications- is a wholly-owned mobile phone subsidiary of the Philippine Long Distance Telephone Company (PLDT). Its main focus is to handle the PLDT Group's wireless services business. It operates a nationwide cellular network covering over 99 percent of the population. On April 20, 2008, Smart updated its logo, changing with the new, shortened letter "S", stylized versions of letters "A" & "T", and a new line below the logo.

10).Globe Communications- is a niche agency which is expert in internal and external business communications. The expertise of our agency principals extends beyond public relations theory and their strategic insight stems from decades of experience in business, politics, advertising and media management.

With all these leading offices and companies competing the entire Metro Davao, I personally pick ABS-CBN Corporation for I stand that this company indeed give sufficient information’s about dealing their Information System. Their profile present that “In 2003, during the television station's 50th anniversary, ABS-CBN launched its present slogan, "Kapamilya" (literally means "a member of the family"), which it believes reaffirms the network's commitment to quality programming that will foster the morals and values that are ostensibly upheld in many Filipino families.

They strive to create and deliver programs that are relevant to every audience that are easy to cath up, delivered with warmth and knowledge. Although other companies listed above are proclaim as the best of its best, yet, I maybe have a hard time in visiting their desired office here in the city for them are located kilometers away from the city and our residence. They believe that every people has the right and has a love on e to feel that he is "tunay na kapamilya".

Source:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SM_City_Davao
http://wrightreports.ecnext.com/coms2/reportdesc_COMPANY_C60862750
http://www.bayan.com.ph/
http://smart.com.ph/
http://www.callboxinc.com/optimizing-sales-performance.html
http://www.anflocor.com/
http://www.pldt.com.ph/about/Pages/summary.aspx
http://www.hubportinteractive.com/about-us.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SkyCable
http://www1.globe.com.ph/about.aspx[/justify]

Last edited by brian c. namuag on Sat Jul 11, 2009 2:30 am; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://brian-takealook.blogspot.com/
joverly gonzales

PostSubject: Assignment # 1   Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:25 pm

For assignment one, our group is so depressed of finding a company to be going to interview. There are lots of companies but we don’t know what we are going first.

The Companies that we have chosen are:

Arrow Phoenix Petroleum Philippines Incorporation

The Company’s profile

Company Profile: Phoenix Petroleum Philippines Incorporation
Major Industry: Oil, Gas, Coal & Related Services
Sub Industry: Liquefied Petroleum Gas Distributors

Business Description

The Group's principal activity is trading refined petroleum products, lubricants and other chemical products. Its products and services are distributed under the PHOENIX Fuels Life trademark through a network of 33 retail service stations. The Group also provides terminaling and hauling services which involved in operating a terminal depot, hauling and into-plane services in Davao, Cagayan de Oro, General Santos City and Cotabato City.

Phoenix Petroleum Foundation Inc., led by President Cherylyn C. Uy, lives up to its core value of stewardship through projects in service of the community. As stewards, we nurture our resources responsibly. By giving back, we contribute to elevating the quality of life of the people we help, because we believe that life comes first.

The foundation’s primary purpose is to engage, support and or participate in social activities and functions geared towards the development, protection, alleviation, education and or empowerment of the needy, depressed and miserable members of the society.

Mission, Vision & Core Values

Vision

As the first home-grown major player in the Philippine petroleum industry, we will be:

- The "brand of choice" in Mindanao

- The benchmark for excellence in the petroleum retail industry

- The best value for money and unmatched customer experience

Mission

Make "Phoenix Fuels Life" an experience within reach of every Filipino.

- We deliver a quality of service unrivalled in the industry

- We put our customers first.

- We deliver superior returns to our stakeholders.

- We enrich the quality of life of our people and their families.

- We create opportunities to maximize the potential of the individual.

- We take social responsibility to heart by building programs to nurture the environment and uplift the life of the communities we serve.

Core Values

Integrity
We adhere to the highest standards of ethics and conduct. Our reputation defines who we are.

Excellence
We strive to be better in everything we do.

Service
All stakeholders are our customers, thus we provide unrivalled customer experience.

Innovation
We believe that change is constant. We challenge convention with fresh, better, and more valuable products, services and ideas.

Teamwork
We value relationships. We achieve our goals through collaborative efforts, recognizing the contribution of team members and respecting each other's opinions and ideas.

Stewardship
We nurture our resources responsibly.

Our Group is supposed to interview there MIS administrator on June 25, 2009 but the Company’s HR head, MS. Ma. Jonah Gonzales said, “Before we entertain you, you must present a letter addressing to HR head. State there what is purpose of having an interview with them and who are we going to interview. Also she said that the letter should have an approval from the professor.” In our side, we have a letter that she mentioned but the things that hinder our interview are the said letter has not yet signed by the professor.

And the next Company,

Arrow eTelecare Global Solutions

The Company’s profile

Company Type: Direct Employer
Industry: Customer Service and Call Center

Business Description

eTelecare Global Solutions has become a leading contact center outsourcer as a direct result of core competencies that meet our client's business needs for today and tomorrow.
eTelecare Global Solutions addresses your challenges with:
• Unique strategic insights that streamline operations;
• Strong, data-driven connections to your customers; and
• Powerful continuous improvement strategies.

The other company that we are planning to have an interview,

Arrow Davao City Chamber of Commerce and Industry, Inc. (DCCCII)

Company’s Profile

Company Name: Davao City Chamber of Commerce and Industry, Inc. (DCCCII)
Company Industry: Business Industry

Business Description

Organized in 1968, the Davao City Chamber of Commerce and Industry, Inc. (DCCCII) is a non-stock, non-profit business support organization that provides leadership and a strong voice for the business community of Davao City, especially its members. It is a voluntarily association of business professionals who have joined together to improve the economic, civic and social welfare of Davao City.

Through the years, the DCCCII has emerged to be one of the top local chambers of the Philippines and has repeatedly received awards from the Philippine Chamber of Commerce and Industry as the Most Outstanding Chamber of Commerce in Mindanao, and the entire country.

The DCCCII shall uphold and promote the business interests of, and provide global linkage for its members and the Davao business community.

A globally recognized Davao Chamber that actively shapes the local, regional, national and international socio-economic landscape.

We are a chamber effectively responsive to the needs of our members and guided by the spirit of CAMARADERIE, OBJECTIVITY, HONESTY, FAIRNESS, FREE ENTERPRISE and QUALITY SERVICE.

The last company,

Arrow Assumption College of Davao (ACD)

Company’s Profile

Company Name: Assumption College of Davao
Company profile: CHED Certified Higher Education Institution

Description/Identify of ACD
The Assumption College of Davao is a Catholic school owned and managed by the Missionaries of the Assumption (m.a.) promoting education with a social conscience.
As an academic institution, it is inspired and guided by the charism of the m.a. and committed to the challenges posed by realities that beset the society. It espouses integral formation, character development and community building of all its stakeholders consistent with the social orientation mandate of ACD’s option for the poor.
ACD as a learning community is dedicated towards empowering students to lead, animate and contribute in changing lives to the full.

Vision
We, the Assumption College of Davao community, inspired and guided by the charism of the Missionaries of the Assumption (m.a.), envision a just, humane, nationalistic, democratic, peaceful, faith-motivated and interconnected with the totality of God’s Creation.

Mission
We, the ACD Community, are dedicated to the development of an integrated person who is committed to take part effectively in the transformation and true development of society through a nationalistic, scientific and mass-oriented education.
We are also committed to the development of holistic spiritually to sustain our solidarity with the poor. We strive to create a school community that is permeated by the gospel spirit of joy, simplicity and love.

Goal

Development of a comprehensive education towards the fulfillment of the Vision and Mission.
Re-orientation of programs and activities for the promotion of life-giving values, attitudes and skills.
Organization of all members of the school community for active response to support a genuine people’s initiative for change

References
http://www.davaochamber.com/
http://www.phoenixphilippines.com/view_stations.php?xval=92
http://www.phoenixphilippines.com/company_mission.php
http://jobs-in-davao.blogspot.com/2007/10/etelecare-global-solutions-inc.html
http://www.assumptiondavao.edu.ph/

Last edited by joverly gonzales on Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Marren Pequiro

PostSubject: IT/IS Best Practices   Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:35 pm

Columbia Computer Center Davao, Inc.

the following pictures are taken during our ambush interview.

Yesterday there are four of us who seek for a company to be interview as a basis for our Assignment. Fortunately, we headed to Columbia Computer Center Davao, Inc,. with our interviewee (name withheld for confidentiality purposes), Manager of the Marketing Development Mindanao Area.

Provided by their website, this is their Company Profile.

Columbia Computer Center Davao, Inc., one of the pioneers in the computer industry of Davao City, started its operation in 1982 as a video center. It is located at City Triangle Building, CM Recto St. corner Roxas Avenue, Davao City. Due to a promising opportunity in the computer business, investments in this industry was also tried and later concentrated in this field. Currently, they have four (4) branches in the Mindanao area. At present, they carry most of the IT leaders\' brand name in the market such as ACER,COMPAQ, HEWLETT PACKARD, CANON, EPSON, MICROSOFT, INTEL, A-OPEN, 3M, LOGITECH, APC, MGE PULSAR, 3COM, SEAGATE, ASUS, MICROSTAR, JETWAY, CALIDAD, KRONE,AMP, LIKOM, EXPRESS and other peripherals & accessories.

Columbia Computer Center Davao, Inc. offers sales, repairs, rentals, networking installation and other services to our customers. They cater wholesale distribution of complete range of computer products, which covers PC System, peripherals, accessories and components. They are also engaged in direct sales providing computing solutions to manage large corporate accounts, government agencies and educational institutions as well as small medium sized companies. The company also provides services to our clientele to support all the products purchased under Columbia Computer Center Davao, Inc.

The following are the best practices they have introduced to us:

Arrow Mind Your Own Business (MYOB)- this is the software or program used by the Columbia Computer Center for the control of their inventory and sales. With this software, they manually check all of the things needed for the inventory and could automatically report on sales and debtors. Also, the sales ledger are centralized with this. As our interviewee expanded, all their inventory are already generated in the software. Once, a product have been sold, it’s just inputted in the Mind Your Own Business software, it will already generate a report on the sales of their company. It would also show all the expenses and the accounts left throughout the day. The profit and loss statement to be exact.

Arrow Biometrics - refers to methods for uniquely recognizing humans based upon one or more intrinsic physical or behavioral traits. It is used for the log in and log out of the employee. On their case, the thumb mark or the finger prints of their employee are the basis in order to have their daily time record (DTR). In short, biometrics is used by the Columbia Computer Center to record their attendance automatically. It is automated so they will no longer utilize the traditional way of getting the Daily Time record by using the Bundy clock. With this, the moment the employee subject his thumb mark to the machine and enter his distinct code, it will mechanically reflect on their DTR. Throughout the day, it will record their number of hours and days they had.

Arrow Closed-circuit television or the (CCTV) – is the use of video cameras to transmit a signal to a specific place, on a limited set of monitors. It differs from broadcast television in that the signal is not openly transmitted, though it may employ point to point wireless links. Columbia Computer Center Davao, Inc,. being the main office in the Mindanao area, are monitoring their other branches with the help of the Closed-circuit television or the CCTV. They could monitor all of their employees in their other branches such as in Butuan City, Cagayan de Oro City and General Santos City. With this, they could always see on what are happening in these branches and can accessed them anytime. Also, this could help them supervise these branches without any hassle on going on that far places. In just one click, all their worries about their other branches could be answered with the aid of the Closed-circuit television or the CCTV. This is via the internet, so Columbia Computer Center Davao, Inc., admits that for now they are all Internet dependent.

Arrow Networking Installations – they are proud to say that this is one of their best practices because it is not only their technician who knows this job, but almost eighty percent of their employees are capable of doing networking jobs. Meaning, any of them could be tap in the center whenever there are client or costumers need a help about networking installations. As they say, almost of them are skilled and trained regarding on networking.

Arrow Top Provider of Hardware / Software- At present, they carry most of the IT leaders\' brand name in the market such as ACER,COMPAQ, HEWLETT PACKARD, CANON, EPSON, MICROSOFT, INTEL, A-OPEN, 3M, LOGITECH, APC, MGE PULSAR, 3COM, SEAGATE, ASUS, MICROSTAR, JETWAY, CALIDAD, KRONE,AMP, LIKOM, EXPRESS and other peripherals & accessories. With this many institutions and agencies are having a partnership with them regarding of any matters. Such as networking installation, repairs, rentals and cater wholesale distribution of complete range of computer products, which covers PC System, peripherals, accessories and components in the City. As one of the top provide in the City with these materials, Columbia Computer Center Davao, Inc., provides computing solutions to manage large corporate accounts, government agencies and educational institutions as well as small medium sized companies. Included on their list in the institution sector is the Ateneo de Davao University. While on the government side is the City Hall and 911 Center. Proudly saying also that they are the no. 1 partner of the PLDT in Davao City in terms of all their services. The Lapanday Foods, Davao Light Power Company, Davao City Water District and also San Miguel Beer are also among of their clients.

Arrow Management Information System Department (MIS Department) – when we asked them if they have this department on their organization, they answered no. For them, having a Management Information System Department (MIS Department)becomes redundant. Why? it is because almost eighty percent of their employee knows all the job within the company. It means that what the manager knows, also the utility boy knows too and vice versa. It doesn’t matter on what position they have when it comes to work distribution. As long as you have admitted in their company, within 2 months, you are already skilled and could almost do everything related to the company. As they call themselves, “DALTANS = dala tanan”, all of them are all around. Still they have the hierarchy of the organizational chart.

Last edited by Marren Pequiro on Fri Jul 10, 2009 5:53 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://emzpequiro.blogspot.com
Ariel Serenado

PostSubject: my Local organization with IS/IT Best Practices....   Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:36 pm

For this assignment we are tasked to visit a local organization and to identify its IS/IT best practices.

The approved local organization that I have visited was the Hubport Group Interactive, located at the 3rd Floor Conpinco Building, along J.P Laurel Avenue, Bajada, Davao City. The person that we interviewed regarding this assignment was Mr. Paulo Saravia, the Operations Officer at Hubport Interactive Inc. Also, he is a Web Designer, Project Manager and under training in Operations Management for Information Technology / Management and Business Process Outsourcing. Besides, he is specializing in IT business process development, IT product branding, human resource acquisition, project management, client negotiations, web design, application process design, interactive flash development and many more.

Before stating the best IT/IS practices of the said local organization. Let us first review the company profile of the Hubport Group Interactive.

HubportInteractive Inc. enables a business to build an imperative subsistence in theo nline B2C (Business-to-Consumer) space. We empower your website to attain optimum function and revolutionize your business by creating online channels toeffectively connect with existing clients and successfully tap new ones. Ouraccomplished E-Commerce Storefront encoders, Retail Shop Managers, Online Marketing Consultants, and Production Team associates provide the technology backbone that launch prospering and profitable websites.

Satelliteoffices in North America, the U.K.,and an upcoming presence in Japan help counter communication, and accessibility issues. Subsequently, creating a smooth working relationship between client and service provider. Projects are delivered on time, with little or no hitches. Our fulfillment teams observe a synchronized shifting schedule to accommodate client concerns at any time most convenient to them. Hubport Interactive Inc. is sensitive to a clients’ web investment margin and his ultimate goal of increasing profits.

Hubport Interactive Inc. has a high regard for service excellence and client satisfaction. Hence, we only have people whose commitment is as fervent as ours. Project managers and fulfillment teams who specialize in Website Development, Web Application Program, E-Commerce Business Process Development and Maintenance, System Software Development, Auto CAD, Animations, Graphics Development, Video Editing, Music and Audio Voice Development, GSM SMS Service, WIFI Mobile Solutions, IT Managerial and IT Marketing Development.

As we visited the said organization, we have come to know their best practices on the field of Information Technology and Information System. Here are the following:

1. ISO Certifications.

ISO stands for International Organization for Standardization. It is an internationally recognized standard for the quality management of businesses. It applies to the processes that create and control the products and services an organization supplies. It prescribes systematic control of activities to ensure that the needs and expectations of customers are met. It is designed and intended to apply to virtually any product or service, made by any process anywhere in the world. The benefits of this certification is the key reason why Hubport has been practicing this certification. Implementing a Quality Management System will motivate staff by defining their key roles and responsibilities. Cost savings can be made through improved efficiency and productivity, as product or service deficiencies will be highlighted. From this, improvements can be developed, resulting in less waste, inappropriate or rejected work and fewer complaints. Customers will notice that orders are met consistently, on time and to the correct specification. This can open up the market place to increased opportunities. “By the certification we can cope with the minor and the major changes of the business”, Mr. Saravia added. Therefore, ISO enables a consensus to be reached on solutions that meet both the requirements of business and the broader needs of society.

2. Proper Documentation.

Proper documentation is really important in a business organization. It enables to have a “roll back”. Roll back has something to do with recovery plan of a certain system. Using the roll back system, this will restore the transaction being made before a system has been interrupted in any instance. If any interruption will happen the administrator can manipulate to do the roll back, to restore the transaction before the interruption (e.g. Power Interruption) occurred. Also, the work of the roll back is similar to “UNDO”. Basically, UNDO is used every time the user wish to revert the current version of the page, turning back the page to its original version.

3. Security.

It includes FIREWALL, SPYWARES and etc. Firewall is a part of the computer system to block unauthorized access while permitting authorized communications within the network of the organization. Firewalls are frequently used to prevent unauthorized Internet users from accessing private networks connected to the Internet, especially intranets. All messages entering or leaving the intranet pass through the firewall, which examines each message and blocks those that do not meet the specified security criteria. Spywares. It is installed on personal computers to collect information about the users their computer or browsing habits without their informed consent. With Hubport, IT personnel are very particular with this security system for some of the data and information requires confidentiality. In the case of Hubport, every system unit designated in every department of the company has NO CD/DVD Rom NOR USB Ports. If one wished to print some information, he/she must go to the IT department where printing of information is made possible to check the print outs as to the data to stick on their practice which is confidentiality with the information within the private network of the organization.

4. Disaster Recovery Plan.

This plan is intended to mitigate and manage if there is a disaster happening, such as in case of fire also includes server break down. This is one of the measures that Hubport is practicing in their communication plan. Disaster recovery planning is a subset of a larger process known as business continuity planning and should include planning for resumption of applications, data, hardware, communications (such as networking) and other IT infrastructure. In the case of Hubport, they used 3 internet servers; if and when one server will experience break down then it will be easy for the manager to connect to the other internet server. Also, they are monitoring as to which of the servers work faster in terms of its bandwidth. This is to practice IT related infrastructure recovery and continuity plan. Furthermore, disaster recovery planning is the aim of the organization in avoiding larger losses in the event that the business cannot continue to function due to loss of IT infrastructure and data.

Prior the interview was conducted we were informed that some information are confidential. Therefore, not all their practices are presented in this section. In as much as best practices is concern, the (4) four IT/IS best practices are considered vital and some of the best practices that any company must bear.

During the interview we took some pictures. Again, due to confidentiality we were not allowed to take more pictures. However, I have some pictures which I think are proofs that we conduct an interview based on the above-stated topic.

The group with Mr. Paulo Saravia (center), Operations Manager, Hubport Interactive.

Ariel Serenado at the Hubport Interactive, 3 Floor Conpinco Building, J.P Laurel Avenue , Davao City.

Sources:

http://www.iso.org/iso/about.htm
http://www.isoqar.com/iso9001/qualintro.htm

Last edited by ariel_serenado on Sat Jul 11, 2009 2:06 am; edited 8 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Stihl Lhyn Samonte

PostSubject: Assignment 1 Reflection   Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:38 pm

My Company!!! Shocked

It was yesterday when we find out that we have to post our list of chosen companies in Managerial Information System group. After a long time waiting for approval, our professor checked by Dr. Randy S. Gamboa.These are the companies that I posted in our groups.

1.Puentespina Orchids and Tropical Plants

Puentespina Orchids & Tropical Plants, Inc (POTPI) started as hobby in orchid growing by its founder Charita P. Puentespina in 1977. It grew to become a main business concern, and in 1988 it was incorporated to become what it is now. It has become among the biggest producers of cut flowers in the country today. It supplies its products to major cities nationwide. It has four main production operations: Cut flower production, Cut foliage production, Orchids & Pot plant production and Ornamental & Landscape plants production.

http://www.orchid.ph/

2. Malagos Garden Resort

A 12 hectare inland Nature 2Theme Resort located in Bgy. Malagos, Calinan, Davao City. It has the amenities of a Full Service Resort with Overnight Rooms and Accomodations, Function and Seminar Halls, Restaurants and Coffee Shop, Landscaped Gardens, Bird Park, Butterfly Sanctuary, Swimming Pool, Children's Playground, Adventure Activities, among others. It is home to the Philippine Orchid, Vanda Sanderiana, commonly referred to as the Waling Waling.

http://malagos.com/

3.Davao City Water District
a government agency providing water services in Davao City.

http://www.davao-water.gov.ph/
4.SM City Davao

A shopping mall owned and operated by SM Prime Holdings located in the City of Davao. It is the SM Supermall located in the Mindanao Region. The mall was constructed and opened in November 2001 with a design similar to SM City Pampanga and SM City Cagayan de Oro. It has a land area of 132,000 sq.m and a floor area of 75,440 m².

5.Globe Communications

is a niche agency which is expert in internal and external business communications. The expertise of our agency principals extends beyond public relations theory and their strategic insight stems from decades of experience in business, politics, advertising and media management.

http://site.globe.com.ph/web/guest/home?sid=bxivf8576lp31245898490133

6.Hubport Group Interactive
Davao City, Phil., November 20, 2007--- Hubport Interactive, Inc., a member of The Hubport Group of Companies specializing in web- based outsourcing services and a prime mover in Davao` s ICT Business Sector, recently commenced a Team Building Activity for all of it` s employees. The workshop is part of the company`s three- part series of activities on building brotherhood between and among management and the work group. Bad weather notwithstanding, the Hubport IT league took all of the exercises in stride. Every challenge was met with friendly competition, and at the end, no intention was missed.

http://www.outsourceit2philippines.com/news-local/team-building.htm

But among the six companies, two were approved.

First.......The SM City Davao!!!

SM City Davao is a shopping mall owned and operated by SM Prime Holdings located in the City of Davao. It is the SM Supermall located in the Mindanao Region. The mall was constructed and opened in November 2001 with a design similar to SM City Pampanga and SM City Cagayan de Oro. It has a land area of 132,000 sq.m and a floor area of 75,440 m².

The SM City Davao is not as big as those in Metro Manila but it is just enough for a city of 1.6 million people (Metro Manila’s population is more than 12 million). The malls interior looks like any other SM Malls so you can’t see any uniqueness with this one. But, its great to have an SM Mall in Davao since most of the major cities in the Philippines
have it. If you wanna relax while shopping then just drop by at Movietime to see the latest movies. SM Davao got 6 cinemas inside and its one of the best in Mindanao.
The mall has the same interior with other SM’s all over the Philippines. But I think this one in Davao is more stylish, neat and when your inside it feels a lot more cosmopolitan, or maybe the cool crowd makes it so.

http://nickilo.wordpress.com/2007/09/18/malls-of-davao-sm-city-davao-interior/

Second.....Hubport Group Interactive!!!

OutsourceIT2Philippines.com is a brand service of Hubport Interactive Group (www.hubportinteractive.com), a total I.T. solutions provider that has expanded its operations in the Philippines. The Philippines, benefiting from the outsourcing boom in Asia is now poised to become a world-class hub in Information Technology.

Managed by a team of I.T. experts with international credentials, OutsourceIT2Philippines.com provides the following outsourced services: Website Development, System Development, Domain Name Registration & Web Hosting, Desktop Publishing, Graphic Design, Logo Design, VoIP, Animation, Webmercials, Video Streaming, Music and Audio Development, Web Banner design, and many more.

OutsourceIT2Philippines.com aims to provide I.T. outsource development to SMEs and corporations in the U.S., Canada, Puerto Rico, France, Ireland, Italy, Spain, the U.K., and the rest of the world. The OIT2P difference being—quality products and services at low expense. OIT2P makes I.T. affordable for you!....

http://www.outsourceit2philippines.com/outsource-company.htm

cyclops tNx!!!! Laughing

mY bLog:http://stihlyn.blogspot.com/ Arrow

Last edited by stihlyn on Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:27 am; edited 10 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Assignment 1 (Due: June 25, 2009, before 01:00pm)   

Back to top Go down

Assignment 1 (Due: June 25, 2009, before 01:00pm)
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next