HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

DIZON - Research Proposal

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Kate Mariel Dizon

PostSubject: DIZON - Research Proposal   Wed Sep 02, 2009 4:55 pm

This is a more detailed description of the proposal I raised this morning during our Research class.

Situation/Problem:

Online forums are common to us nowadays because this is where we usually have online discussions for our classes. We are encouraged to check the forums from time to time for updates. Checking for forum updates requires a connection or access to the Internet. The problem I see here is that not all users can access the Internet easily or conveniently. In our case (as a specific example), checking for new topics in a particular forum requires most of us to go to Internet cafes only to find out that there are no updates. This kind of situation results to a waste of time, money, effort and at the same time, ENERGY. From another perspective, for those who have Internet connections at home (like myself Very Happy), they are probably either too lazy or just forgetful to even check.

I am an active member of various forums (though most of them are unrelated to school Very Happy) and I do experience the situation painted above. I am quite aware of so-called web feed services and even subscribe to them to get the latest updates in forums that I am a member of. A web feed is a data format used for providing users with frequently updated content (Wikipedia). Web feed services, such as Feedburner, require you to subscribe with your email address, where the feed is sent. This answers the problem of updating users with content. However, just like the situation above, checking this feed on your email will still require access to the Internet.

Proposed Solution:

For my research proposal, I propose to develop a web application that will mimic the way web feeds are delivered to subscribed users. However, to answer the problem of Internet accessibility, I propose that the application will deliver updates not through emails but through TEXT MESSAGING.

Why through text? From observation (in our class, for example), I could say that more than 90% of us have cellphones. Cellphones are easier to carry and access, compared to computers with Internet connection. Thus, this proposal will take advantage of the cellphone's popularity and portability.

Where does the concept of "Green Computing" come in? I believe that this research proposal will save forum members (especially students like us) the time, money and effort needed to access the Internet and check for updates. This way, we will only need to use computers when we know that the forum is updated. In effect, the use of computers will also be lessened, thus, we can save a significant amount of energy.

How will it work?

This is only my initial judgment or concept of how the application will work.

Following the concept of subscribing to Feedburner, the user will be asked to provide his cellphone number. This step, however, will require the user to access the Internet. His number will be added to the list of recipients. Whenever a particular forum is updated, all recipients will receive a text message containing the title of the new content and possibly a teaser of, perhaps, 200 characters. I am still unsure, though, of the more convenient way of delivering the text - delivering it only on a particular time of day or delivering it every time new content is posted...

----------------------------------------------

Okay. So that's it, for starters. I am willing to accept your comments, suggestions, questions, etc., regarding my proposal. And if you can point out some important issues or can give me recommendations, I would be very happy to know. Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://katemarieldizon.blogspot.com/
eyesee

PostSubject: Re: DIZON - Research Proposal   Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:32 pm

Kate Mariel Dizon wrote:

This is a more detailed description of the proposal I raised this morning during our Research class.

Situation/Problem:

Online forums are common to us nowadays because this is where we usually have online discussions for our classes. We are encouraged to check the forums from time to time for updates. Checking for forum updates requires a connection or access to the Internet. The problem I see here is that not all users can access the Internet easily or conveniently. In our case (as a specific example), checking for new topics in a particular forum requires most of us to go to Internet cafes only to find out that there are no updates. This kind of situation results to a waste of time, money, effort and at the same time, ENERGY. From another perspective, for those who have Internet connections at home (like myself Very Happy), they are probably either too lazy or just forgetful to even check.

I am an active member of various forums (though most of them are unrelated to school Very Happy) and I do experience the situation painted above. I am quite aware of so-called web feed services and even subscribe to them to get the latest updates in forums that I am a member of. A web feed is a data format used for providing users with frequently updated content (Wikipedia). Web feed services, such as Feedburner, require you to subscribe with your email address, where the feed is sent. This answers the problem of updating users with content. However, just like the situation above, checking this feed on your email will still require access to the Internet.

Proposed Solution:

For my research proposal, I propose to develop a web application that will mimic the way web feeds are delivered to subscribed users. However, to answer the problem of Internet accessibility, I propose that the application will deliver updates not through emails but through TEXT MESSAGING.

Why through text? From observation (in our class, for example), I could say that more than 90% of us have cellphones. Cellphones are easier to carry and access, compared to computers with Internet connection. Thus, this proposal will take advantage of the cellphone's popularity and portability.

Where does the concept of "Green Computing" come in? I believe that this research proposal will save forum members (especially students like us) the time, money and effort needed to access the Internet and check for updates. This way, we will only need to use computers when we know that the forum is updated. In effect, the use of computers will also be lessened, thus, we can save a significant amount of energy.

How will it work?

This is only my initial judgment or concept of how the application will work.

Following the concept of subscribing to Feedburner, the user will be asked to provide his cellphone number. This step, however, will require the user to access the Internet. His number will be added to the list of recipients. Whenever a particular forum is updated, all recipients will receive a text message containing the title of the new content and possibly a teaser of, perhaps, 200 characters. I am still unsure, though, of the more convenient way of delivering the text - delivering it only on a particular time of day or delivering it every time new content is posted...

----------------------------------------------

Okay. So that's it, for starters. I am willing to accept your comments, suggestions, questions, etc., regarding my proposal. And if you can point out some important issues or can give me recommendations, I would be very happy to know. Razz

go ahead .. you may proceed ..
Back to top Go down
View user profile

DIZON - Research Proposal
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1